Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Another URD Y Pipe Question...

Old 03-24-2012, 11:57 PM   #1
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Another URD Y Pipe Question...

Hey everyone, been searching and reading up on the URD Y pipe all night. From what I have read it seems 50/50. Some guys say they lost low-end and gained top end, some say better overall performance, some say no performance gain. So what's the real deal? Basically, I have an opportunity to get the URD Y pipe locally form a neighbor for next to nothing. Is it worth taking or would you advise against it? My reservations are that I will lose A LOT of bottom end and the fact that he would need my stock Y pipe. I am by no means a racer obviously with 35's but am also down for some performance mods. My current "performance" mods are the TRD CAI and Magnaflow Catback.

However, I know URD knows their stuff so I am torn on what to do? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

PS. I know a select few will be responding shortly..
Old 03-25-2012, 12:47 AM   #2
Do Work Son!
rossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rossk35's Tacoma Gallery
The amount of tq you could possibly lose or gain is so small you won't notice it. When I first got my truck I cut the rear cats out and welded in pipe which is the same thing as the urd pipe. Honestly, all I noticed was a louder exhaust tone which is the reason I did it. I'd say do it if you can get it for a good deal.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:51 AM   #3
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Only complaints I've heard are that it's too loud/raspy with it AND headers, without idk. Do you wanna be louder I guess is the question
Old 03-25-2012, 06:00 AM   #4
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Idc about loud I just don't wanna lose so much bottom end that it really hurts the everyday driving. I'm not in the way high upper rpms very often which is where it seems the gains might be. But hey, for the deal I can get and based off of URD reputation I might Pull the trigger.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:10 AM   #5
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay238 View Post
Idc about loud I just don't wanna lose so much bottom end that it really hurts the everyday driving. I'm not in the way high upper rpms very often which is where it seems the gains might be. But hey, for the deal I can get and based off of URD reputation I might Pull the trigger.
If it's that good of a deal...Give it a shot but keep your old parts. It's REALLY hard to take subjective information about parts and make decisions about it and objective info (dyno charting) to help you is harder to come by and may be outweighed by the subjective stuff you observe.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:13 AM   #6
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
If it's that good of a deal...Give it a shot but keep your old parts. It's REALLY hard to take subjective information about parts and make decisions about it and objective info (dyno charting) to help you is harder to come by and may be outweighed by the subjective stuff you observe.

Hey Brunes the pipe would be free. Only catch is that he would need my stock Y pipe. What would you do?

Edit: Also, been searching but could not find, but how hard is it to install/uninstall the Y pipe. Anyone?
Old 03-25-2012, 06:50 AM   #7
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Hey Brunes the pipe would be free. Only catch is that he would need my stock Y pipe. What would you do?

Edit: Also, been searching but could not find, but how hard is it to install/uninstall the Y pipe. Anyone?
Ohhh...That's a toughy. I would probably take it tho...I'm getting ready to pay to get my exhaust rerouted...so...::shrug::
Old 03-25-2012, 06:52 AM   #8
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Okay thanks for all the help!
Old 03-25-2012, 07:03 AM   #9
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Also, is there any fitment issues with a 6" lift? I read a review on page 6 of google searching TW and saw a member posted saying that it may not fit wit a 6" lift. Any input?
Old 03-25-2012, 10:58 AM   #10
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone?
Old 03-25-2012, 11:10 AM   #11
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
Im with bruey.........all the subjective crap is just that, crap.

Unless someone brings dyno proof, its just a matter of opinion.
So Brock would you take it?
Old 03-25-2012, 11:11 AM   #12
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmc View Post
take it, if you don't like it then sell the y pipe and pick up stock or another system for less or equal than you sell the urd for.
Thats what I'm thinking
Old 03-25-2012, 05:27 PM   #13
Night is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Night's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have the stock exhaust?

The URD Y pipe is still only 2.25" but its mandrel bent so you don't lose the size on the bends. You should really lose/gain anything unless your running a S/C.

From what I have read around here and other places the biggest lost(which is minuscule) is taking out the Cats without having a F/I system.

I do plan on getting a URD Y-pipe for my truck in the near future.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:18 PM   #14
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night View Post
Do you have the stock exhaust?

The URD Y pipe is still only 2.25" but its mandrel bent so you don't lose the size on the bends. You should really lose/gain anything unless your running a S/C.

From what I have read around here and other places the biggest lost(which is minuscule) is taking out the Cats without having a F/I system.

I do plan on getting a URD Y-pipe for my truck in the near future.
I have magnaflow on this truck. Im gettin the pipe now and am putting it on as soon as I get back. Will report back on initial reports lol.

Ps. The stock Y pipe is a major pita to get out
Old 03-25-2012, 07:42 PM   #15
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

It looks like you've already made your decision but for what it's worth you can always call Gadget up and ask him a bunch of annoying questions, he treated me great when I had some and I trust anything URD after hearing the products rep and talking to him. He might be able to tell you what exactly you've gained, lost, or whatevered since you've already committed. GL
Old 03-26-2012, 07:02 AM   #16
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Also, is there any fitment issues with a 6" lift? I read a review on page 6 of google searching TW and saw a member posted saying that it may not fit wit a 6" lift. Any input?
Depends. Is the URD Y for a PreRunner, or 4x4? What type of lift do you have? As in brand.

I had a ProComp 6" and the URD wouldn't fit because of the front driveshaft. So I had to have some exhaust work done, to make it fit. I ended up pulling the drive shaft off. Installing the Y. Then going to an exhaust shop that carried 304 stainless steel. You don't want mild steel in there if you have to extend the driver side.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:18 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
lmao.........yeah Ive talked with G man a few times and had conversations steer off topic, hes a good dude, and knows what he is talking about.
We ended up talking about the war and roe's, haha