Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Low boost with S/C install

Old 03-25-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
boostedka is on a distinguished road
boostedka's Tacoma Gallery
Low boost with S/C install

I just finished up my install of a TRD s/c on my '02 3.4 tacoma. I also installed with it the URD 2.2 pulley and 7th injector kit. I've noticed that is only maxing out at 5-5.5 lbs of boost. With the URD set up I was expecting around 9 lbs. Not sure exactly what's causing this. It definately feels somewhat sluggish for being charged. It doesn't feel as fast as it should. Also, The S/C is a used, rebuilt 2nd gen.

Can anyone help out with this? Any suggestions are welcome.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Check all the connections for leaks after the SC. Use soapy water, look for bubbles.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:31 PM   #4
Thanks for the suggestions.

Today, I checked for dust build up from belt slipping and didn't see any. I didn't think belt slipage would be an issue with the URD pulley and a brand new belt. Also, i double checked the throttle body gasket to insure it was installed correctly as well as the check valve.

I replaced many the vac lines with brand new ones and don't seem to see any leaks. I'll try out the water trick tomorrow though.

I tested the bypass valve actuator and it doesn't stay fully open when i disconnect the vac line, open it up, cover the vac connection and let the lever go. It closes about half way before catching. I'll probably call magnuson tomorrow to order a new actuator if I don't find any vac leaks.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:31 PM   #5
Dark Lord of the Sith
wrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Tech Insp: 404 ASB/4th CAB
Name: Ryan Mathis
wrmathis's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to wrmathis Send a message via Yahoo to wrmathis
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedka View Post
Thanks for the suggestions.

Today, I checked for dust build up from belt slipping and didn't see any. I didn't think belt slipage would be an issue with the URD pulley and a brand new belt. Also, i double checked the throttle body gasket to insure it was installed correctly as well as the check valve.

I replaced many the vac lines with brand new ones and don't seem to see any leaks. I'll try out the water trick tomorrow though.

I tested the bypass valve actuator and it doesn't stay fully open when i disconnect the vac line, open it up, cover the vac connection and let the lever go. It closes about half way before catching. I'll probably call magnuson tomorrow to order a new actuator if I don't find any vac leaks.
it might not be the belt or the pulley, it could be ur tensioner pulley not putting enough tension on the belt causing it to slip
Old 03-26-2012, 10:46 PM   #6
amain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
amain's Tacoma Gallery
I thought you would only get 6lbs boost not 9. You might want to talk to Gadget at URD to see what you should expect.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:37 AM   #7
Good ideas. I'll try calling URD today and see what gadget has to say about the ecpected boost. Is there anyone on here that lives around 4800ft elevation that is charged that can tell how much boost they are producing?

As far at the tensioner, it is a dynamic tensioner so i'm not really sure how I would be able to know if the tensioner is slipping. WOuld the belt do something that I could see visually when reving the motor from in the engine bay?

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:52 AM   #8
PkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of light
Name: David
PkTaco's Tacoma Gallery
How tight is your belt. You should be pretty darn taunt.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:13 AM   #9
From what i can remember, seems like i can push it in with my finger maybe about a 1/4" to 1/2".
Old 03-27-2012, 08:31 AM   #11
I noticed that when i rev the engine in neutral from under the hood, the belt sort of "flaps" in the area that goes from the dynamic pulley up to the S/C pulley. NOt sure if this is normal. Could my pulley tensioner be losing strength being a used unit?
Old 03-27-2012, 08:46 AM   #13
PkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of light
Name: David
PkTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
From what i can remember, seems like i can push it in with my finger maybe about a 1/4" to 1/2".
Needs to be tighter, Should move like an 1/8 inch or less.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:50 AM   #14
can this be accomlished by adjusting the alternator bracket or do I need to replace the tensioner?
Old 03-27-2012, 09:09 AM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
Take a look see at the alternator tensioner, and see what you can find out.
Sounds good. I'll mess with that today after work. Thanks for the helpful suggestions
Old 03-27-2012, 09:56 AM   #17
Dark Lord of the Sith
wrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Tech Insp: 404 ASB/4th CAB
Name: Ryan Mathis
wrmathis's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to wrmathis Send a message via Yahoo to wrmathis
Quote:
Good ideas. I'll try calling URD today and see what gadget has to say about the ecpected boost. Is there anyone on here that lives around 4800ft elevation that is charged that can tell how much boost they are producing?

As far at the tensioner, it is a dynamic tensioner so i'm not really sure how I would be able to know if the tensioner is slipping. WOuld the belt do something that I could see visually when reving the motor from in the engine bay?

Thanks for the help.
i wasnt talkin bout the tensioner slipping. was talkin bout it not makin the belt tight enough causing the belt to slip, but anyways i think u figured out what i was talking about with what everyone else was sayin
Old 03-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #18
Thanks for clarifying. That makes sense.

Also, I talked with Gadget at URD and he said that the altitude I'm at is probably causing a decrease in the amount of boost. I did some research to follow this up and found that theoretically I should probably see about a 2.5 lbs decrease in boost pressure due to being at ~5,000 ft. Could this be accounting for the full loss of boost or is there possibly something else at play in addition to the altitude?
Old 03-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #20
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Leaks and altitude.