Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

My air filter melted

Old 03-29-2012, 06:16 PM   #1
gospurs21 is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
gospurs21's Tacoma Gallery
My air filter melted

Ok so i had a stock borla air filter n we saw it today it was extremely dirty n the black thing around it melted so we had to trow it away even though itsays "this vehichle comes w a nondisposable air filter". Is this bad that i took off the stock one n put a cheap one?? Will it hurt my engine?
Old 03-29-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1
Johns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
Johns Taco's Tacoma Gallery
It's not a good sign, the stock filter is always the best as it has way more technology poured into it than some aftermaket company. Put the stock one back in and sleep better at night knowing Toyota spent millions of dollars making sure the filter they supplied your truck with is the best.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:21 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Clean is better than dirty........but how the hell did ya melt the rubber seal?
Old 03-29-2012, 06:22 PM   #4
Tbones taco is on a distinguished road
Name: Tony
Tbones taco's Tacoma Gallery
What is your driving habbits? if your on the streets more than trails you will be fine. I want to know what caused the filter to melt? that would worry me first. Is your truck a 2.7L or a 4.0 v6? i use a K&N filter in my stock cool air intake. i havent had any issues.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
u disposed of n undisposable filter?............ bad karma!
Old 03-29-2012, 06:27 PM   #6
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, its important to know what is causing the melting if the box itself is plastic...or is it?

But another thing is: You had a Borla filter as stock??
Old 03-29-2012, 06:40 PM   #7
Yes it was stock , its a 4.0L, uhm we didnt throw it away, we replaced it n are going to have it looked at by some people, but the guy at auto zone "thats not suppose to happen"

Im trying to post a pic, i have a pic of it on my phone but dont know how to upload it on here since im using an iphone, when i press the button to insert image it says "enter url"
Old 03-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #8
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dang. I think I got a Toyota filter as stock. Mine is 4.0 too. Bummer.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #9
Well i only drive street, but some weeks back i did go to the beach on. A VERY high tide, water was getting allovar the truck im pretty sure it got into the engine as well, the autozone guy said "well thats what may have caused it, becAuse this rubber seal wont just melt"
Old 03-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #10
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
op bought it used and first owner put the filter and sticker on

I'm assuming.

no one would own a 05' and just now be looking at the filter for the first time

unless this is a troll
Old 03-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #11
Its actually not a regular taco its texas edition, the difference is it comes w/ borla exhaust a nice radio, n 20"chrome rims , so yeah it was stock
Old 03-29-2012, 06:44 PM   #12

A bunch of us went wheeling a few weeks back and everyone (except a few of us) went into the water/thin mud hole and I don't think anyone's seal melted. Can water can melt a rubber seal?
Old 03-29-2012, 06:44 PM   #13
I bought it used in july, they said the owner didnt maintence it well, they never got the tires rotated EVER
Old 03-29-2012, 06:45 PM   #14
Is there anyway ican post a picture??? It keeps telling me insert url haha
Old 03-29-2012, 06:47 PM   #15
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
first owner probably cleaned it and his dumb ass put the filter in his oven so he could dry it....then burnt it.

then put back in truck?

who knows...

OP get a new filter and keep an eye on it. nothing in the intake would burn your filter without your truck having other major issues you would notice.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:48 PM   #16
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gospurs21 View Post
Is there anyway ican post a picture??? It keeps telling me insert url haha

send it to live.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:48 PM   #17
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
My bad, I thought when you said "we had to trow it away" you meant throw it away?
Old 03-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #18

trow is different from throw. You didn't know?

haha I made a funneh!!
Old 03-29-2012, 07:55 PM   #20
Can you guys see that pic?