Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

TRD exhaust and cold air intake question regarding URD MAF

Old 04-01-2012, 08:28 AM   #1
ToyotaTRD will become famous soon enoughToyotaTRD will become famous soon enough
ToyotaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
TRD exhaust and cold air intake question regarding URD MAF

I have a 2011 Tacoma 4.0 and I will be adding the TRD exhaust and cold air intake next week. What is the next best thing in regards to the UNichip or the URD MAF. I will not be adding anything else after the exhaust and intake. I also would like to know about warranty issues on the truck itself. I'm not racing or off roading. I just want a little more power and sound and maybe some MPGs. I don't want to void warranty though. The truck has 50 miles on it. I will be taking it easy through the break in preriod. What are your thoughts? I don't want to cut factory wires apart and splice something in. I just want the best device for my application.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:31 AM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
URD MAF Cal. You will only void warranty if the parts you install cause other parts to fail. The new TRD intake is no good. Try to find the old style one or pick up an AFE stage 2 SI intake since it is the same thing as the old style TRD. The URD TCAI is also good. There is a new Airaid CAI that just came out and it looks pretty good but it has not been tested. Also none of these mods are going to increase MPGs.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:44 AM   #3
ToyotaTRD will become famous soon enoughToyotaTRD will become famous soon enough
What is the difference between the old and new style TRD intake?
Old 04-01-2012, 08:45 AM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
The design.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:51 AM   #5
That doesn't really explain why it's better or worse.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:53 AM   #6
Banned
The new style makes the engine run lean.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:56 AM   #7
Wouldn't the URD fix that either way whether it ran lean or rich.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #8
Banned
I think I read something about the PCV tube location being too close to the MAF and it dumping crap onto the MAF. Not sure why you would want something that causes issues.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:10 AM   #9
Thanks. I just watched the video and it appears the PCV is blocked by a connector between the filter housing and the coupling to the intake.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #10
DR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to behold

DR Da_da's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaTRD View Post
Thanks. I just watched the video and it appears the PCV is blocked by a connector between the filter housing and the coupling to the intake.
You are correct. This is the video you probably watched. From what the mechanics say in the video, it appears that if you cut off the extra length of intake tube you will no longer have the lean issue.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:05 PM   #11
NoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
NoSoup4You's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Wouldn't the URD fix that either way whether it ran lean or rich.
URD MAF Cal only addresses open-loop tuning, or full throttle gas-mashing goodness.

rich/lean is still an issue at all other throttle positions
Old 04-05-2012, 04:26 AM   #12
I installed the exhaust and intake and I am very happy with the results. The intake install required no cutting. In fact the piece that is supposed to be too long has two ridges which in the directions are used for two different applications. For naturally aspirated you only go to the first ridge which doesn't block the PCV and vacuum line. I love how so many people bashed the TRD intake when there is no problem with the product. People are not installing it correctly. Even the picture shows it lined up to this first ridge. Not sure how people are missng this. Everything fit great and I have no error codes. My idle is a little high but that should settle once the ECU learns the new air flow.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:55 AM   #13
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I love how so many people bashed the TRD intake when there is no problem with the product.
Yeah, because no one on here knows anything or has any experiences to back up what they are warning people about, they just hate on TRD products blindly. Assumption error. Good luck, enjoy, welcome aboard.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:37 AM   #14
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSoup4You View Post
rich/lean is still an issue at all other throttle positions
I don't think so, closed loop operation relys more on the O2 sensors for injector settings vs. open loop where it's MAF and fuel tables.

I could be wrong though, it's happened before, just ask my wife....
Old 04-05-2012, 02:57 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
Yeah, because no one on here knows anything or has any experiences to back up what they are warning people about, they just hate on TRD products blindly. Assumption error. Good luck, enjoy, welcome aboard.
I don't believe I said every person here is wrong.