LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

URD TCAI on a 2012 Tacoma

Old 01-17-2013, 02:43 PM   #42
Jbh512 is on a distinguished road
Jbh512's Tacoma Gallery
High test fuel after mods?

So, I just had the URD Tcai, MAF, Y-pipe and exhaust installed. Does anyone see the benefit of running high test fuel now?
Old 01-17-2013, 03:07 PM   #43
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbh512 View Post
So, I just had the URD Tcai, MAF, Y-pipe and exhaust installed. Does anyone see the benefit of running high test fuel now?
it should allow the engines VVT-i to advance timing further without any pinging......but thats regardless of upgrades and just a function that toyota developed with yamaha years ago iirc.

make sure the MAF calibrator is tuned correctly, u dont wanna run too lean.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:37 AM   #44
Jbh512's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Justus. I saw that same type of response on some other threads without adding the URD tcai. I was just thinking if the air was actually colder/denser it could change the compression in the cylinder. Albeit not much if any. Was just curious if some other people with the same mods were running high test. I'll probably just give it a try and see for myself. When I bought the setup, Gadget programmed the MAF for my truck. It seems to be running awesome. No hiccups whatsoever and no check engine lights. What do you recommend I do to see what my actual A/F ratio is?
Old 01-18-2013, 07:45 AM   #45
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
It won't change the static compression. But cooler incoming air will be more dense. Which means more can fit it the cylinder. Otherwise more "compressed". But still not changing the compression.

MAF reads the inlet air temp and g/s (grams per second) of air flow, across it. And like Justus said, based off of those readings the ECU adds or retards timing.

As for reading your AFR, you can install an AFR gauge, or two. If two, you can read each bank independently. If one, you can read either side, or put it in the merge collector and read both simultaneously.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:30 PM   #46
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
It won't change the static compression. But cooler incoming air will be more dense. Which means more can fit it the cylinder. Otherwise more "compressed". But still not changing the compression.

MAF reads the inlet air temp and g/s (grams per second) of air flow, across it. And like Justus said, based off of those readings the ECU adds or retards timing.

As for reading your AFR, you can install an AFR gauge, or two. If two, you can read each bank independently. If one, you can read either side, or put it in the merge collector and read both simultaneously.
As usual, good reply man....have a good weekend.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:42 PM   #48
Jbh512's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys I appreciate all of the info
Old 01-19-2013, 08:55 PM   #49

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbh512 View Post
Thanks guys I appreciate all of the info
Tors knos a thing or 3 or 4.........glad to have him around
Old 01-19-2013, 09:04 PM   #50

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildlandtaco View Post
Nice good write up op +1 for you
Indeed, sadly he will prolly never see it.......has been gone awhile.

There's not many here with the urd iirc, but u can bounce questions off of me via PM (anyone else can also). I do use it offroad, I do shallow water crossing, I do drive in downpours (with hydroshield which DOES effect performance), and I do drive fairly hard.... ill give u honest responses, I have no connection to urd, never have and never will because id like to remain unbiased.

I've run stock, I've run afe stage 2 Si with the 5r and pro dry....I've installed others on friends trucks, I've run the maf cal, I've installed mine and another friends..... I've checked intake temps via ultraguage against stock, urd, and the afe.....I've even tried it while removing the washer fluid tank (just to say I tried)...if u see the afe, u will understand why I even tried removing the washer tank.

In all, bone stock draws ambient air at speed....there's no way to beat ambient without an icebox/icebath system imho. So, factory intake temps really cannot be beat (while in motion) from what I have seen first hand.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:13 PM   #51
Gadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gadget@URD's Tacoma Gallery
We had a 2013 Tacoma DC 4x4 come by to get the TCAI installed today.

The air injection system is real easy to deal with. I just removed the bracket and junction assembly and then routed the main hose from the pump directly to the control valves.

This leaves all the stock parts completely in tact if they every need to be converted back to stock.

Real simple and took like 30 seconds.

G
Old 01-27-2013, 07:14 PM   #53
Cobra
rubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant future

Army: 2nd Armored Div.
rubenc87's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to rubenc87
Each wire has a different color (MAF). Cut about six inches from the sensor and then place a six to eight in wire to extend the harness. And your done.