Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

URD TCAI on a 2012 Tacoma

Old 04-07-2012, 10:28 PM   #1
Cpt. Bubbleguts
S7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
S7ICKlVlAN's Tacoma Gallery
Cool URD TCAI on a 2012 Tacoma

Installed my URD TCAI this morning....I got some tips for anyone with a 2012 looking to install this as well. The following pics and the air hose modification should be referenced in addition to the URD supplied installation instructions. [DISCLAIMER - I assume zero liability to any damages or injuries incurred by your use of these volunteered aids. Install at your own risk]

I ended up removing the headlight to cut the rad support since I was working with a sawzall and dremel. I'd recommend this step to anyone doing the install.

Then I made a point to de-burr the cut out and used the grinding wheel to finish all radii and get it as close to perfect shape as possible. Following this, I applied lithium grease to the exposed metal edge before installing the finishing strip.

Extended MAF wires, soldered, shrink wrapped, loomed

The following images show the portion of the install that wasn't in the URD supplied instructions. Being that the 2012's have a fender mounted air pump for the smog system, the existing hose layout will block the proper mounting of the intake charge pipe attached to the TB. If you have a 2012, you will notice that the air hose going to the pump is a 2pc assembly with a check valve mounted closest to the valve cover mounted assembly. You will need to remove this and relocate the check valve to the longer of the 2 pieces of hose. You will also need to trim one end of the hose to properly feed to the air pump.

The modified air hose installed

I also removed the upper piece on the intake tube mounting bracket and utilized only the "L" portion of the bracket to clean up the install. Had I used the upper piece it also would have been rubbing against the upper rad support.

TCAI installed, front grill about to go back on.....

All done!
Old 04-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
ModernPopeye is on a distinguished road

Navy:
ModernPopeye's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the install tips! I have yet to open my hood,lol. Sweet valve covers huh? Looks great btw. Tell any improvement through your butt-dyno?
Old 04-08-2012, 07:07 PM   #3
Special Substitute Guest Member
cintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
cintocrunch's Tacoma Gallery
Did you paint the valve covers? I haven't looked under the plastic yet but I doubt the factory made them look that nice...
Old 04-08-2012, 08:57 PM   #5
ModernPopeye is on a distinguished road

Navy:
ModernPopeye's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by S7ICKlVlAN View Post
LOL naw I painted them guys. There's a write up on XRU in the how to section.

DAMN! LOL I should have known better : /
Old 04-09-2012, 08:23 AM   #6
aaroness is on a distinguished road
aaroness's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernPopeye View Post
Thanks for the install tips! I have yet to open my hood,lol. Sweet valve covers huh? Looks great btw. Tell any improvement through your butt-dyno?
sorry,i have no idea .
Old 04-09-2012, 11:47 AM   #8
Cpt. Bubbleguts
S7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
You are the man for doing this.

What is your professional opinion on the product?

Thanks brother Tor. Here's what I can speak on....

The Kit
The product itself is top notch when compared to the intakes on the market that I've seen. I personally tend to lean more towards custom "boutique" shop products anyway. The design is well thought out and puts the filter in the best possible place to not only grab cold air, but to (as much as possible) "Ram" it into the intake tract. It also has a nice long run to straighten that air flow our before it enters the TB. Fit & finish for the kit kicks butt. Instructions are comprehensive, kit contents are all you need to complete the installation exactly as intended/expected.

Appearance/Sound
The wrinkle black finish is perfect IMO for this intake. It gives it a business-like feel and seems pretty darn durable. The silicone couplers included were straight cut and fit very well. I didn't like the 2pc bracket used to mount the forward intake charge pipe. Also didn't like having to extend the MAF wires although when it was all said and done, being forced to extend the wires (as opposed to have a PnP extension from URD) definitely allowed for a much cleaner looking installation.

Other than that, everything is good. Once installed I got a chance to roll on the throttle while checking for CEL's and while I didn't have enough sampling to give any feedback on "performance" attributes yet, I can say that the sound of this intake alone, would fool a lot of people into thinking that they're making a whole lot more power. Great sound, but not obnoxiously so. Nice deep intake sound. I likey!

I'll be doing a bit of driving this week to a couple of job sites so I'll have more feedback soon my brutha.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:27 PM   #9
CascoYota has a spectacular aura aboutCascoYota has a spectacular aura aboutCascoYota has a spectacular aura about
Name: John
CascoYota's Tacoma Gallery
You're making me and my 07 incredibly envious. Great work man. Looks top notch!
Old 04-09-2012, 07:00 PM   #10
shaffcr31 has a spectacular aura aboutshaffcr31 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Matt
shaffcr31's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good!! Did you add the maf sensor calibrater with the tcai ? I want to order it when i buy the tcai they give u like 50 dollars off when ordered at the same time. Im just wondering how this mod will affect my warranty?
Old 04-09-2012, 09:38 PM   #13
Cpt. Bubbleguts

Casco - Thanks brah!

schaff - No I didn't. I am not sure which engine management is going to best fit the final build needs. That UCON looks pretty tempting right now. I had a MAF Cal on my 2000SS and while it was great for what I needed with minor upgrades, it quickly became a weak point as my build progressed. We'll see what the final plans look like then make a decision on performance electronics.

Cowboyz - Yeah I'll probably buy the shield or fab my own....

Wolf - Brutha, great insights. I have no qualms at all about MAF placement. However I would've liked the option for a PnP harness. The same techniques to locate the MAF further forward to read the cooler intake charge for more timing/aggressive fuel curve are being used in both the Viper & Vette world that I came from. I wouldn't have purchased this kit if I didn't think it was the best fit for the build. Your continued inputs have definitely helped me to decide. Mahalo!

Bradda Shaun! - LOL I'm gaining experience so I can help you mod Gray when you come back to the rock! Auuriiite!
Old 04-10-2012, 01:09 PM   #15
Cpt. Bubbleguts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
Ah yes, plug and play woulda been nice....hell to be honest, another 6" woulda been handy (hahaha, seriously).

It woulda made routing the wires a little easier (I ziptied along the intake tubing). I may extend them myself at some point.
Hmm good point. For that, you get this.....

Old 05-24-2012, 07:12 AM   #16
she'll ride
nut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AC3 (Vet)
Name: Patrick
nut's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good OP. I'm installing mine tomorrow (as was as the maf cal) and I'm glad you have pics of the air pump hose modded. I'll be using your pics for a guide Anything you would do different to clean it up or just make it easier? I cut the rad support yesterday so I could paint it and give it time to cure so that's out of the way. And any updates on performance?
Old 05-24-2012, 08:50 AM   #19
she'll ride
nut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
possibly use LONGER wires than supplied to extend the MAF connection. I think another 6" would allow better routing along the underside of the intake tubing and using zip tie squares, U could run the wires/loom under the intake tube without it being seen. Im going to do this eventually, and I brought the idea up to the OP and he might try it also.

use these (radio shack/lowes/home depot should have) and stick them to the bottom of the intake tube and run small black zip ties through them and around the wire loom for a possibly nice hiding job.

Sweet thanks! Will the extra length do anything to the signal or cause interference do you think? I planned on wrapping the wires in some stainless steel wire loom I have, prior to the plastic loom (I stuck a pen in the end so you could see what it is better)

Old 05-24-2012, 09:13 AM   #20
she'll ride

nut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
nice $50.00 Gvt pen

No it isnt lined with anything, only the ends are frayed and i make a sandwich on the ends, it goes: Wires, shrink wrap, wire loom, and shrink wrap to hold. It looks really good. I do all the wires/lines on my 3-wheelers that way. I dont think it will chaff it...

edit: but I might not if I want to use the plastic loom provided.