Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Aftermarket drop in filter Vs. Full aftermarket CAI

Old 08-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #22
WheelinJ91 will become famous soon enough
Name: John
WheelinJ91's Tacoma Gallery
I just installed the Airaid for 2012 like a week ago, I didn't do a dyno or anything but i did see i improvement in power and pickup, I cant wait for the exhaust to get in.

Also i left the lid thing off for now i will put it on during the winter though, and may just put it on a leave it but who knows haha.

Edit: I also have a M/T truck, so i notice it a lot when I shift.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:53 PM   #23
UNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Weston
UNDEAD1153's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post
Unless you can tune it properly, a full CAI setup won't make a difference except for sound. Yes the engine is a giant air pump BUT it won't know to take in more air or let out more air without being told to do so. And stock setup is already pretty much cold air. Stock will also filter best.
By tune, do you mean dyno tune or like the URD MAF calibrator?
Old 08-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #24
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNDEAD1153 View Post
Calibrator or other device since you can't do anything to the stock ECU.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:57 PM   #25
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I havent personally dealt with the URD MAF calibrator so I don't really know what it's functions are. I've used SuperChips and Bullydogs in my past trucks, but I don't know what Is all out there for the Taco but, pretty much whatever tells the computer that you have an aftermarket intake/exhaust and tells it to take in more air/fuel and release more air will work. If not, just taking in the same amount of air as a stock setup. Just makes a louder noise(due to no resonator).
Old 08-05-2012, 08:58 PM   #26
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
X2
Old 08-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #27
UNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Weston
UNDEAD1153's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So with the URD calibrator, I could program it to draw more air? Could this also be done with the stock intake but new filter and secondary filter removed?
Old 08-05-2012, 09:14 PM   #28
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
So with the URD calibrator, I could program it to draw more air? Could this also be done with the stock intake but new filter and secondary filter removed?
The calibrator doesn't control air flow. What it does is lies to the stock ECU so that it injects more fuel for the available air. It would improve power with the stock stuff. It only works at full throttle and high load situations.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:27 PM   #29
TacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gus
TacomaGus's Tacoma Gallery
check out my URD Maf Cal Review Here: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/per...or-review.html

made a world of difference with my intake. Intakes do make more power than the stock setup, it just depends on the type. Most anyone will recommend the afe stage 2 si (same as TRD gen 1) or the URD one. Both are dynoed by gadget to make an extra 10-15 whp. However the maf cal really brings it out with the correct map
Old 08-05-2012, 09:32 PM   #30
TacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
The calibrator doesn't control air flow. What it does is lies to the stock ECU so that it injects more fuel for the available air. It would improve power with the stock stuff. It only works at full throttle and high load situations.
I honestly feel more power at all load levels with the maf cal compared to before. The only thing that really distinguishes itself at WOT, is that my intake will stop resonating since its getting the extra fuel it needs.

When you look at the fuel map provided by gadget in the tuning software, you can clearly see that he has enriched the ratio way before you even reach full throttle. Pretty cool to see how your engine reacts to your right foot when you have it hooked up to your computer...
Old 08-05-2012, 09:32 PM   #31
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaGus View Post
check out my URD Maf Cal Review Here: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/per...or-review.html

made a world of difference with my intake. Intakes do make more power than the stock setup, it just depends on the type. Most anyone will recommend the afe stage 2 si (same as TRD gen 1) or the URD one. Both are dynoed by gadget to make an extra 10-15 whp. However the maf cal really brings it out with the correct map
Any dyno runs to prove the gains besides ones that include other mods.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #32

Quote:
Any dyno runs to prove the gains besides ones that include other mods.
You commented on this same graph in another thread

Old 08-05-2012, 09:42 PM   #33
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaGus View Post
You commented on this same graph in another thread

Oh that one. Yeah over 3500rpm is the biggest gains.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:26 AM   #36
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Don't do it for gains.....sound and a reusable filter makes it worth it (used for a good price atleast)!
Old 08-06-2012, 06:32 AM   #37
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
Don't do it for gains.....sound and a reusable filter makes it worth it (used for a good price atleast)!
Sound is eh. The aftermarket filter let's more dirt through.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:35 AM   #38
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
True.....switched from the k&n oil filter to the AEM dryflow and the k&n was louder than shit at WOT!
Old 08-06-2012, 06:42 AM   #40

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
More air means less filtration but I'm sure its not a big deal as long as its not generic walmart filters!