Notices

Aftermarket drop in filter Vs. Full aftermarket CAI

Old 04-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #1
WheelinJ91 will become famous soon enough
Name: John
WheelinJ91's Tacoma Gallery
Aftermarket drop in filter Vs. Full aftermarket CAI

Hey so im board at work and figured i would ask people oppinion on this,

I have a 2012' Tacoma, AFE happens to have a aftermarket "Drop in" filter for somewhere around 80$ + shipping if i cant find a place that sells them near me.

I would like to eventually get a full CAI but i am wondering what extra benefits does a full on CAI have ?

And would it be worth me saving my 80$ and waiting for a CAI to come out for the 12'?

Thanks
Old 04-15-2012, 10:02 AM   #2
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
I'll be the first to say stock is best if you want best protection.

Power gains are minimal and no MPG gain.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:03 AM   #3
This is to what? Drop in after market filters or full on systems?
Old 04-15-2012, 10:46 AM   #4
Im getting a MBRP exhaust.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:48 AM   #5
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Only thing after market CAI is going to give you is a sound update. So unless you want louder sound, then get a drop in filter.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:00 PM   #6
I am planning on getting a S/C when they come out with them for the 2012, would this change the situation a bit? I would like the best protection but also performance and the sound will be nice for sure. If i didnt plan on S/C it i would look at throttle body spacer.....
Old 04-15-2012, 03:15 PM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelinJ91 View Post
I am planning on getting a S/C when they come out with them for the 2012, would this change the situation a bit? I would like the best protection but also performance and the sound will be nice for sure. If i didnt plan on S/C it i would look at throttle body spacer.....
You can run both the charger and intake.

Throttle body spacers do nothing.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:15 PM   #8
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SGT (ret.), 0311, 1st Battalion 6th Marines
mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
IMHO cai's only significant benefit would be letting you run a pre filter when your offroad and being able to take it off for the street.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #9
Gasitman is on a distinguished road
Army:
Gasitman's Tacoma Gallery
After reading many threads, I will just buy a K&N for the simple fact that it is buy once, cry once. A normal air filter from the stealer is almost $30, a K&N is around $60. Seems to me you will save some $$$ just cleaning it up.

Thread after thread says no gains with a CAI unless it is hooked up to the TRD blower.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #10
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Board or plank?
Old 05-03-2012, 11:46 AM   #11
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelinJ91 View Post
Hey so im board at work and figured i would ask people oppinion on this,

I have a 2012' Tacoma, AFE happens to have a aftermarket "Drop in" filter for somewhere around 80$ + shipping if i cant find a place that sells them near me.

I would like to eventually get a full CAI but i am wondering what extra benefits does a full on CAI have ?

And would it be worth me saving my 80$ and waiting for a CAI to come out for the 12'?

Thanks
Is it washable and reuseable?
Old 05-03-2012, 11:56 AM   #13
The1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peps
The1youluv2hate's Tacoma Gallery
Afe pro dry s
Old 08-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #14
FunTaco is on a distinguished road
FunTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I have to partially disagree. I say partially because I haven't done it to my truck yet but it will be happening in the next couple of months. (first will be the URD True CAI next week, then exhaust of some kind next month) Soooo. my disagreement argument is that the engine is an air pump (some will say air / fuel pump) Either way an engine uses some of the energy is produces to move that air in and out or through the engine. So if you decrease the resistance, or drag on that air movement you decrease the energy used by the engine to pump it. Now in theory this should leave more power to go the wheels and therefor reduce the amount of fuel you need to deliver to maintain or gain the same speed. Increased efficiency increases MPG. The problem is that increased efficiency also give more "available" accessible power however small that may be, and we all (ok maybe just me) like the sound and feel of that power and we use the shit out of it. so we end up not seeing any increased mileage usually. driving habits will the be the biggest factor as to if you can not rape that extra power and leave it for the increased mileage.
now that all being said, it doesn't do a whole lot (but still a little) if you only open up one or the other, the intake or the exhaust. They need to both be done and done modestly for a V6 compared to a high displacement V8 to retain some back pressure needed in these new I-robot freaking engines.

whew. I'm tired now
Old 08-05-2012, 07:00 AM   #15
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
maxpower29's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Board or plank?
Haha I was looking through seeing if someone else would say that lol, but I'm no better. I made a post and spelled the title wrong last week
Old 08-05-2012, 07:13 AM   #16
UNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Weston
UNDEAD1153's Tacoma Gallery
Isn't the reason CAI's are louder because it's removing the secondary air filter? Wouldn't you get the same result (sound wise) by adding say an AFE Pro Dry S filter and removing the secondary filter? Or are you also getting sound from somewhere else??
Old 08-05-2012, 07:29 AM   #17
Interweb wheeler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC10TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNDEAD1153 View Post
Isn't the reason CAI's are louder because it's removing the secondary air filter? Wouldn't you get the same result (sound wise) by adding say an AFE Pro Dry S filter and removing the secondary filter? Or are you also getting sound from somewhere else??
I think more of it has to do with the resonance through the tube. Idk for sure, just a feeling I have. I have an AFE pro dry s drop in on mine and I removed the secondary filter but noticed no change in noise.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:32 AM   #18
UNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Weston
UNDEAD1153's Tacoma Gallery
Hmmm.....maybe could be coming from the box and like you said the tube. Did you notice any changes at all with what you have done? (mpg's, hp)
Old 08-05-2012, 08:06 AM   #19
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Unless you can tune it properly, a full CAI setup won't make a difference except for sound. Yes the engine is a giant air pump BUT it won't know to take in more air or let out more air without being told to do so. And stock setup is already pretty much cold air. Stock will also filter best.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:05 AM   #20
NtacomaR is on a distinguished road

Name: nick
NtacomaR's Tacoma Gallery
i will be installing the new Airaid cai intake in my 2012 baja...i will also be doing a before and after dyno...i run 91 octane BTW. i will be doing the dyno either monday or tuesday. thread title under Performance will be "Dyno Results for 2012 Baja With Airaid intake"