Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

URD MAF or UNICHIP????

Old 04-21-2012, 05:53 PM   #1
uscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: AMT3 kodiak 60T jayhawks
Name: coby
uscg2008's Tacoma Gallery
URD MAF or UNICHIP????

so guys, im going to be getting some money back for all my expences for moving up here to kodiak and i want to upgrade my performance a little more on my truck. i already have a trd exhaust, TRD CAI, and JBL shorties. any thoughts on wat would be the best bang for my buck between the URD MAF and the Unichip plug and go chip. ive been looking on here and i cant find any comparisons. any input would be helpful. thanks guys

coby
Old 04-22-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
uscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
URD, and ask Gadget if he can load the correct map for you.
and why do you think that the URD would be better??
Old 04-22-2012, 11:48 AM   #3
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
URD +1, its more proven than the Unichip for the Tacoma. G puts a lot of time and effort to make things he sells to us work optimally. Pretty sure the cost differential is substantial as well.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Urd
Old 04-22-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
I'd steer clear of Unichip, a good friend of mine owns Underground Performance and Racing here in Anchorage and he said that those have been known to freeze engines. I don't think they are designed with our cold Alaskan temps that you'll get in Kodiak as well. I'd definitely check with Gadget on that if you do end up going with URD to see if it's any different. I doubt they test for cold temps being where they are. It's the only reason I haven't chipped mine yet.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:37 PM   #6
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscg2008 View Post
and why do you think that the URD would be better??
Here are some good reasons why it is a better option.

1: Cheaper price.

2: You can tune it yourself, or have any shop tune it if you aren't comfortable. Plus URD tech support will help you out if you have questions.

3: Unichip is required to be tuned by Authorized dealers only. They pre-load maps based on your mods. Doesn't mean in any way it is correct.

4: Tuning for unichip is usually a minimum of $250 an hour. Price will differ by shop for URD's if you don't have gadget or yourself do it.

Now, on the flip side, noting that any customer service has to come from South Africa, their units are good when tuned by a professional. Finding professional shops here though are far between.

In the UAE, they love Unichip, and are making high HP Tacomas/FJs and 4Runners.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:41 PM   #7
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
You ought get in to Anchorage and visit Nick at Underground, he's the guy for tuning up here in AK. Very very gifted at it. If you end up getting either, which I would go with the URD, I'd still take it over to him to have him do the tuning. He's dealt with them a lot.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:42 PM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
2 different items here. One is a full pigguback ECU(Uni) and one just taps in to certain signals(URD).
Old 04-22-2012, 12:47 PM   #9
NoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
NoSoup4You's Tacoma Gallery
Really, Unichip and URD MAF Calibrator can not be compared .. they don't do the same thing.

Unichip is a complete piggy-back system for the ECU - their off-the-shelf maps suck, even if they claim they have one for your specific mods. $250/hr for tuning is about right - plus most places want a setup fee to even put your car/truck on the dyno.

URD only modifies the open-loop signal (full throttle) of your MAF - it only really needs to be tuned for your CAI, but still benefits from a custom tune. Definitely a more proven and easier to install mod.

I purchased a URD MAF Cal for my AFE Stage II CAI, but never installed it. In the end it seemed better to stick with traditional bolt-ons, or save for a supercharger to get substantial & safe gains. IMHO.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:17 PM   #10

thanks everyone for all the input i really appreciate all the advice guys!!!
Old 04-23-2012, 07:19 AM   #11
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSoup4You View Post
Really, Unichip and URD MAF Calibrator can not be compared .. they don't do the same thing.

Unichip is a complete piggy-back system for the ECU - their off-the-shelf maps suck, even if they claim they have one for your specific mods. $250/hr for tuning is about right - plus most places want a setup fee to even put your car/truck on the dyno.

URD only modifies the open-loop signal (full throttle) of your MAF - it only really needs to be tuned for your CAI, but still benefits from a custom tune. Definitely a more proven and easier to install mod.

I purchased a URD MAF Cal for my AFE Stage II CAI, but never installed it. In the end it seemed better to stick with traditional bolt-ons, or save for a supercharger to get substantial & safe gains. IMHO.
Well stated.