Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Exhaust experience needed...

Old 12-20-2008, 04:01 PM   #1
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Question Exhaust experience needed...

Ok so I was bored off my ass today, and I decided to mess around with my Exh. Been hearing about a bunch of folks dumping the outlet right after the axel. I wanted to do this for a while. Felt getting rid of that 4"stainless tip on the right side would bring a new look. And it did, looks real clean.

But, before I cut anything I experimented by just unbolting the tail pipe after the exhaust. Sounds good actually. Very deep, same rumble, and it is a bit more quite when just cruising. Im very happy with the sound. I would make a sound clip but will be getting my DT Long tubes, and also planning on a resonator to add, so I'll wait til then.

Question #1;

I want to run it like above set up, oh; but will add a turndown so the exhaust aint going straight out torwards the spare.

But does anyone think that loosing this 3 foot section of piping will affect needed backpressure and in the long run HP??? (Note: the DT's already loose the front cats so my set up will be DT's/Y-pipe/borla w/resonator dumped out at the axel. What you all think???

Question #2;

Dont really know anything about Resonators, but Im thinking this will tone down the noise increase that will come from running no cats. But, do they add back pressure? Anybody got any better recommendations???

Thanks...
Old 12-20-2008, 04:04 PM   #2
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
so ur saying that you un bolted the portion of Stainless steel pipe mounted after the muffler?
Old 12-20-2008, 04:05 PM   #3
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastlytaco View Post
so ur saying that you un bolted the portion of Stainless steel pipe mounted after the muffler?
Yeah for now. I will probably cut where that turns down and bolt back on.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:07 PM   #4
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
are you runnin cats?? Could i do the same with my 08 reg cabs stock exhaust?
Old 12-20-2008, 04:07 PM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
"Back pressure" is not an issue on modern exhaust systems. "Scavenging" is much more important. Dumping right after the muffler shouldnt hurt anything, niether will adding a resonator. You should mount the resonator close to the muffler, then keep about 1 foot of pipe after that.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:28 PM   #6
Enjoying my addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastlytaco View Post
are you runnin cats?? Could i do the same with my 08 reg cabs stock exhaust?
Got my front ones on right now. Will have none after the Longtubes are on. Guess you could do it. But I would do a temporary trial to make sure it's what your're looking for in sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
"Back pressure" is not an issue on modern exhaust systems. "Scavenging" is much more important. Dumping right after the muffler shouldnt hurt anything, niether will adding a resonator. You should mount the resonator close to the muffler, then keep about 1 foot of pipe after that.
Hey thanks chris. I know you done different exhaust set up's, so your word is enough to set me at ease with this plan.

Will any resonator just muffle sound, or are some meant for different puposes? Need one small enough to fit between flange and muffler.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:32 PM   #7
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxspin72 View Post
Hey thanks chris. I know you done different exhaust set up's, so your word is enough to set me at ease with this plan.

Will any resonator just muffle sound, or are some meant for different puposes? Need one small enough to fit between flange and muffler.
Resonators have different applications, but your local muffler shop should have the right one for ya.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:39 PM   #8
Enjoying my addiction

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Resonators have different applications, but your local muffler shop should have the right one for ya.
Cool, thanks again...