Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Exhaust+CAI=Results? I've got an opinion.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:58 AM   #1
CedarBlockFrog
nate71 is on a distinguished road
nate71's Tacoma Gallery
Exhaust+CAI=Results? I've got an opinion.

Alright, tomorrow my 2009 Magnetic grey Taco TRD 4x4 will be receiving some new parts. I have read review after review about whether or not something works or if it is just stupid and so on... Well I may have wasted my money but whether I did or not I wanna let the people of Tacoma World know how my truck performs after installation.

In the end all I really wanted out of this was to do something different. Once I get the truck cleaned up I will post some pictures as well.

Any requests from Taco owners before the installation tomorrow?
Old 04-26-2012, 09:02 AM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Results that don't include before and after dyno runs are worthless. Nobodies butt dyno's are calibrated the same.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:03 AM   #3
PkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of light
Name: David
PkTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate71 View Post
Alright, tomorrow my 2009 Magnetic grey Taco TRD 4x4 will be receiving some new parts. I have read review after review about whether or not something works or if it is just stupid and so on... Well I may have wasted my money but whether I did or not I wanna let the people of Tacoma World know how my truck performs after installation.

In the end all I really wanted out of this was to do something different. Once I get the truck cleaned up I will post some pictures as well.

Any requests from Taco owners before the installation tomorrow?
This entire post basically sounded like a bunch of jibberish.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:05 AM   #4
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
Dino
Old 04-26-2012, 09:06 AM   #5
CedarBlockFrog
nate71's Tacoma Gallery
All I was gonna do is just give an honest opinion on whether or not I thought that spending my money was worth it. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:09 AM   #6
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
All I was gonna do is just give an honest opinion on whether or not I thought that spending my money was worth it. Nothing more, nothing less.
Awesome! So what CAI + exhaust combo are you going with?
Old 04-26-2012, 09:11 AM   #7
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Results that don't include before and after dyno runs are worthless. Nobodies butt dyno's are calibrated the same.
I run butt synthetic because it's more accurate.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:11 AM   #8
XDEEDUBBX is on a distinguished road
Name: Bryan
XDEEDUBBX's Tacoma Gallery
Baseline dyno is a must or your wasting your time
Old 04-26-2012, 09:11 AM   #9
CedarBlockFrog
nate71's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PkTaco View Post
This entire post basically sounded like a bunch of jibberish.
It is pretty self explanatory: Truck=receiving new parts. Me=letting people know how I feel about it after it is installed.

I apolagize if that is difficult.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:13 AM   #10
CedarBlockFrog
nate71's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTusk View Post
Awesome! So what CAI + exhaust combo are you going with?
I am going with a K&N CAI and a flow master muffler dumped behind the rear axle.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:18 AM   #11
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
I run butt synthetic because it's more accurate.
Nothing butt the best!!
Old 04-26-2012, 09:19 AM   #12
CedarBlockFrog
nate71's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDEEDUBBX View Post
Baseline dyno is a must or your wasting your time
I know that would be an accurate way to get the exact results but I'm just a college kid who enjoys working on his truck and I wanted to add some mods. I am just going to get in my truck before installation and floor it and after installation I am going to do the same. If I notice any kind of difference I will let y'all know, if not I will let everybody know about how I wasted my money.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:22 AM   #13
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
I am going with a K&N CAI and a flow master muffler dumped behind the rear axle.
So less power mods? K&N doesn't make a cold air intake and will reduce power most of the time. Chokemasters are proven to rob some horsepower. Of course you will say your truck is faster simply because it is louder.

Mods like this are worth it if you are looking for a louder truck but not for MPGs or large power gains or any power gains in a usable RPM range.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:24 AM   #14
CedarBlockFrog
nate71's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaholandho View Post
I feel you are more than welcome to review the CAI and any other parts that you install.
Just remember the above quote in bold as, we also have read review after review and it often just ends up as a pissing contest due to no hard facts of performance and someone always gets their feelers hurt.
I added the TRD CAI and TRD CAT back system (never doing a review as there are plenty) because I liked how it sounded, no more, no less. It was a huge waste of $ but I would do it again. Just being honest.
Enjoy your truck and the CAI. I bet it will sound badass. GL
Thanks! I appreciate the positive words. I agree that people do just end up arguing but I'm not concerned with battling people on whether or not it was worth it. I just wanna let people know from a drivers personal opinion whether or not it was worth it to me. To me it'll be worth it if it makes the truck more fun to drive and if it has a new sound to it.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:26 AM   #15
VolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Machinist Mate Third Class (Veteran 2011)
VolcomTacoma2011's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
So less power mods? K&N doesn't make a cold air intake and will reduce power most of the time. Chokemasters are proven to rob some horsepower. Of course you will say your truck is faster simply because it is louder.

Mods like this are worth it if you are looking for a louder truck but not for MPGs or large power gains or any power gains in a usable RPM range.
You forgot to throw a derp in there...

I'm pretty happy with my TRD Catback exhaust...came with the TX Pro edition...I've been tempted to throw in the TRD CAI, but I really can't justify 400$ for extra braaaaap. Once i've got more monies coming in and can afford that, My truck will sound awesome
Old 04-26-2012, 09:26 AM   #16
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I know that would be an accurate way to get the exact results but I'm just a college kid who enjoys working on his truck and I wanted to add some mods. I am just going to get in my truck before installation and floor it and after installation I am going to do the same. If I notice any kind of difference I will let y'all know, if not I will let everybody know about how I wasted my money.
The desire to conclude you didn't waste your money is strong. Extra noises fools many.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:28 AM   #17
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolcomTacoma2011 View Post
You forgot to throw a derp in there...

I'm pretty happy with my TRD Catback exhaust...came with the TX Pro edition...I've been tempted to throw in the TRD CAI, but I really can't justify 400$ for extra braaaaap. Once i've got more monies coming in and can afford that, My truck will sound awesome
Lol. The derp always pisses them off.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:29 AM   #18
VolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Machinist Mate Third Class (Veteran 2011)
VolcomTacoma2011's Tacoma Gallery
Ahh. Yea, better not.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:32 AM   #20
CedarBlockFrog
nate71's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post

I haven't said anything yet because the parts aren't on yet. I am aware that flow masters have been "proven" to do that. By running the flow master exhaust all the way out is how you lose the performance. Dumping it maintains the performance side of things. *Or so says the mechanic doing the installation for me* I trust him although its possible for him to be wrong.

And again *most of the time* I'm not sure how you get most of the time results. Either it works or it doesn't and thats what I am here to let people know. If I wasted my money then I fully plan on honestly admitting to it.