Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

No more emissions laws!

Old 04-27-2012, 10:10 AM   #21
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

It's not 1975 any more.

In 1975, auto makers needed to comply with new stricter regulations, so they added some bolt on filtering to their 1974 models. Not surprisingly, there was less power.

So you could increase power by removing some factory parts and kind of retroactively turning your car into a 1974 model.

Now, that was 30 years ago, and automotive engineers have been working with emissions controls laws as a design constraint since before most of them came out of college.

So modern cars are designed to optimize across a set of criteria that includes

*COST

*POWER

*ECONOMY

*EMISSIONS LAWS

The entire design from end to end is working with that in mind.

So, how do you make your car more powerful than it came from the factory?

Well, one way would be to go down to your local performance shop, where they've got a dynamometer, a machine shop, and a handful of dudes who know their shit, and you say to them: "Here's $20,000. Build up my ride. Make it run fast. It doesn't need to pass any emissions tests when you're done."

You'll probably come out with a stoked engine, low restriction inputs and outputs, a blower, a requirement to run premium gas, and custom electronics tuned to the new configuration.

But if you just get out your toolbox and start randomly unbolting shit, like you would have in 1975, it's more than a coin toss you're gonna end up hurting performance more than helping it.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:17 AM   #22
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowroxKT View Post
Okay yes, BUT I think you know what I mean, hence why unbolting the exhaust manifold for "better flow" ends up not working...
it all has to do with Scavenging.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:18 AM   #23
SnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kyle
SnowroxKT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
it all has to do with Scavenging.
Well, I gotta do some more research then!
Old 04-27-2012, 10:20 AM   #24
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowroxKT View Post
Well, I gotta do some more research then!
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...ine-basic.html
Old 04-27-2012, 10:23 AM   #25
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
I have to modify what I said - there's one "take some emissions stuff off" modification that much of TW seems to believe actually has a small but measurable amount of improvement in top-end power:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/per...r-removal.html

But that's for the 4 banger not the six.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:58 AM   #26
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
I was just reading that thread you posted, it seems like some of the V6'ers noticed gains in MPG? Am I reading that wrong? And will this make any difference with the Volant CAI I have coming in the mail? I don't think any of those secondary filters stay on do they?
Old 05-14-2012, 11:14 AM   #28
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Do you see loss or gain in the low end when going with that set up? I love the idea but I don't want to sacrifice 4x4 ability when getting muddy. Sorry if that's a noob question.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:04 PM   #29
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

It's not 1975 any more.

In 1975, auto makers needed to comply with new stricter regulations, so they added some bolt on filtering to their 1974 models. Not surprisingly, there was less power.

So you could increase power by removing some factory parts and kind of retroactively turning your car into a 1974 model.

Now, that was 30 years ago, and automotive engineers have been working with emissions controls laws as a design constraint since before most of them came out of college.

So modern cars are designed to optimize across a set of criteria that includes

*COST

*POWER

*ECONOMY

*EMISSIONS LAWS

The entire design from end to end is working with that in mind.

So, how do you make your car more powerful than it came from the factory?

Well, one way would be to go down to your local performance shop, where they've got a dynamometer, a machine shop, and a handful of dudes who know their shit, and you say to them: "Here's $20,000. Build up my ride. Make it run fast. It doesn't need to pass any emissions tests when you're done."

You'll probably come out with a stoked engine, low restriction inputs and outputs, a blower, a requirement to run premium gas, and custom electronics tuned to the new configuration.

But if you just get out your toolbox and start randomly unbolting shit, like you would have in 1975, it's more than a coin toss you're gonna end up hurting performance more than helping it.
Well put!