Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

AFE Air Filters

Old 07-20-2007, 06:54 AM   #1
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
AFE Air Filters

Has anyone had any experience with the AFE high flow drop in air filter's? Thinking about getting one for my POS X-Runner.

Quote:
aFe’s high performance, high flow OE air filter replaces the restrictive factory paper filters and lets your engine breathe better.

* Factory pre-oiled with non-surfactant containing refined oil
* Larger filtration area for more airflow
* Improved airflow, filtration, and dust-holding capacity
* Washable/reusable cotton gauze media
* 100% polyurethane construction
* Tight seal without gaskets or sealants
* Withstands extreme engine temperatures for extended-service live
* Will not damage sensitive electronic sensors
* Pro-GUARD 7 OE Replacement Filters available for specific diesel applications
http://www.performanceproducts4truck...265&pid=111246
Old 07-20-2007, 10:07 AM   #2
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
I just dropped one in my 2.7L yesterday. I am already noticing a difference in high RPM torque and HP. It isn't a ton of power, but it is enough to keep me from downshifting as much to pass on a hill.

I can't tell you much about the MPG yet - I have been heavy footing it to see what the difference "feels" like.

I will let you know more when I can calm my testosterone.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:11 AM   #3
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
Cool thanks for your input man. Anyone else?
Old 07-23-2007, 04:53 AM   #4
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

First impressions of the AFE filter driving from San Antonio to Houston and back and then spending a day in the hills around Kerrville, TX...

The low end doesn't seem to show too much of a difference. There is a bit more oomph after 2,000 RPMs quite a bit more after 2,700 RPMs. My truck had some issues holding a hill at 70-80 MPH, but no issues now.

I averaged 26 MPG over the weekend with moderate amount of "brisk" driving.

(AFE drop-in Air Filter and Secondary Air Filter removed)
Old 07-25-2007, 05:33 AM   #5
I dub thee malicious!

Ok, with the above mods, no heavy footing, 75 MPH w/cruise on, in the rain - 28 MPG!

Finally.

Maybe the AFE filter was worth it.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:41 AM   #6
myopera is on a distinguished road
myopera's Tacoma Gallery
K&N air charger

I put a K&N Air Charger on my 06 V6... its a big difference from stock... more passing power... and loud, almost too loud on full gas... but kicks ass... not sure how gas mileage is... didn't check it yet... that was the reason for installing to bump that up... once i check i'll post any gains... stock is about 20 mpg...

4.0, 6 speed... 4x4... extended cab, SR5...
Old 09-25-2007, 12:56 PM   #7
m3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of light
m3dragon's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to m3dragon
get volant or K&N. I run AFE in my M3 and it is made out of steel. Can you say heat soak. Not good for HP or MPG
Old 11-03-2007, 05:44 PM   #8
m3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by gm3bow View Post
i don't think the metallic mesh affects the performance much. I replaced my drop-in afe with the stock air filter and the secondary air filter and I definitely noticed a drop in acceleration.
AFE had a great design but with the heat sheild being metal it is sucking in more hot air. I called them on this and they said it was to keep the cost down but they are 200 more then the compotition.

Someone said that the new design are plastics. If that is the case that is good thing as there is fare less heat soaking.

I did I IR test on the Steel box in my M3 and it was running 130 and causing the heat temp to give false readings. I can't wait to get it out and get the carbon boc in.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:29 PM   #9
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3dragon View Post
AFE had a great design but with the heat sheild being metal it is sucking in more hot air. I called them on this and they said it was to keep the cost down but they are 200 more then the compotition.

Someone said that the new design are plastics. If that is the case that is good thing as there is fare less heat soaking.

I did I IR test on the Steel box in my M3 and it was running 130 and causing the heat temp to give false readings. I can't wait to get it out and get the carbon boc in.
well the one's they're talking about in here are the drop in filters....not the complete filter systems.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:51 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gm3bow View Post
I take what I said back. I placed a temp sensor in the air box, after the air filter and with the afe drop in I got several degrees higher than when I put in the stock air filter. I wonder if the dry high-flow afe filters are metal or plastic mesh?? I still get better performance with the afe filter than with stock, but would a non-metal filter might be even better?
The design makes it thinner than a paper filter hence it will be better. But if it ran cooler it would be much better than running warm.

One thing we need to know is if the AFE filter is ITG Foam. If it is it does flow a lot of air but allows larger particiles into the motor. Formula 1 runs ITG but those are race cars that run 2 races before a motor rebuild.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:28 AM   #11
I canceled my order for Volant and am going to give AFE another shot now. All the people I talked to with Volant say it hurts MPG. Plus does not seem to gain much performance.