Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Shorter shift lever by Coupe

Old 05-05-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
GO TIGERS!
holyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
holyfield19's Tacoma Gallery
Shorter shift lever by Coupe

I had wanted to modify my shifter in my 6 speed for a shorter throw, so I purchased a Short Shift kit from URD. The SS was great, but my stock shift lever was worn out. The rubber bushing inside the two piece shifter had degraded to the point where you could wobble it really bad while it was in gear. I had done some searching around to see if anything could be done about this, and stumbled upon the X-runner forum and a member named Coupe. He had a thread on the XR-U for his modified shifters that was very detailed with great pictures, and step by step instructions. He is also a member on TW, by the same name, so I contaced him to ask some questions about his mod. After realizing that purchasing most of the materials for the mod would probably run me somewhere around $100, I decided to buy one directly from him. He charges $120 shipped plus your stock shifter in return. I thought this was a good deal, and turned out to be so. The shifter I recieved from him was cut down to 9 1/2", and solid as a rock, with little transmission noise coming through the lever. Now with the URD SS and one of Coupe's shifters, my truck drives/shifts like a dream. This combination cut my shifter throw to less than half of what it was! There are no issues with rough shifts, or hard gears to catch (like reverse). All gears catch perfectly crisp. If your shifter is sloppy, and you would like to experience clean gear engagement again, look up Coupe. He has a few different kinds of modded levers to choose from, so take your pick. Very easy to do bussiness with, and a great product. Thank you to Coupe.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:30 AM   #2
Dark Lord of the Sith
wrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Tech Insp: 404 ASB/4th CAB
Name: Ryan Mathis
wrmathis's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to wrmathis Send a message via Yahoo to wrmathis
already did this and i suggest this to anyone that has a 6spd
Old 05-05-2012, 05:26 PM   #4
Coupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coupe's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Guys!
Old 05-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
Coupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coupe's Tacoma Gallery
Here is a link to the original write-up.

http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/...ad.php?t=31063

I can do this mod with a TRD SS and a B&M.
This pic shows an array of shifters.

From left to right,

8 1/2" OEM mod, 8 1/2" OEM mod, 9 1/2 OEM mod, 9 1/2 TRD SS, 9 1/2 TRD SS, 9 1/2 B&M.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #6
Tandum is on a distinguished road
Name: Mark
Tandum's Tacoma Gallery
This is a great mod for the 6 speed Tacoma, I just installed a TRD ss that was rebuilt and trimmed down. WOW, a short throw, no play, and solid hook ups in every gear. This is one of the best things I've done to my truck. Very cost effective.
Thanks Coupe
Old 08-01-2012, 02:30 AM   #7
n0ms is on a distinguished road
Name: Angel
n0ms's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds good.
Was toying with the idea of sending him a couple stock shifters off some 1st gens.He hasn't done any for older tacomas yet.