Notices

Spark plug power loss,please help!!!

Old 05-07-2012, 12:04 AM   #21
TACOsupremacy is on a distinguished road

Name: Gaven
TACOsupremacy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by boshak View Post
Low idle / rpms... Truck dies. When's the last time you cleaned your MAF and Throttle Body?

Are you sure the plug wires are connected in the right order?
Im pretty sure it in the right order..did do it one by one..and i cleaned my maf sensor about a week before doing the plugs
Old 05-07-2012, 12:06 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaes View Post
Vacuum hose off or loose? I know another member's almost dies under High load for periods of time but we think is his URD MAF Calibrator leaning out the truck and throwing the ecu into a safe mode.
!!? I do have a maf cal..and a urd intake. Ive been having second guesses about removing it..i think it could be that too
Old 05-07-2012, 12:07 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark4 View Post
When I changed the plugs on my gf's solara it wouldn't keep an idle right after. I had to literally drive with two feet to the dealership. One on the brakes and the other on the gas so I could keep idling at a red light. Made it to the dealership and the service guy asked me if I just changed my plugs. Which I did. He said to disconnect battery for a bit and then keep driving around. Something about the car computer needing to re adjust itself. It worked. Needed to drive around for a couple miles after and it's all good now. Just my thoughts
Thanks i will try that first!!!!
Old 05-07-2012, 12:13 AM   #24
Cuz Stock Sucks
amaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
amaes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOsupremacy View Post
!!? I do have a maf cal..and a urd intake. Ive been having second guesses about removing it..i think it could be that too
I would try that. I have been in the truck with him before when it happens. Its only one the freeway when his truck does it but on the street its fine. It goes into like a safe mode and kills all power from the motor and we had to stop turn it off for a few and then it would be fine for a little while. It got wose the higher in elevation we went and through the hills when it was under high RPM.

With your case it sounds more like a vacuum hose is off. That normally the issue when this happens.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:29 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaes View Post
I would try that. I have been in the truck with him before when it happens. Its only one the freeway when his truck does it but on the street its fine. It goes into like a safe mode and kills all power from the motor and we had to stop turn it off for a few and then it would be fine for a little while. It got wose the higher in elevation we went and through the hills when it was under high RPM.

With your case it sounds more like a vacuum hose is off. That normally the issue when this happens.
Cant be any vacum hoses i checked like 3 times today..but we'll see
Old 05-07-2012, 12:31 AM   #26
Bishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Bishop2Queens6's Tacoma Gallery
There is a super small vacuum hose that's easy to forget that goes behind the air intake assembly. I'm assuming you have an OEM intake so you're gonna have to pull a lot off when you changed the plugs.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:33 AM   #27
boshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tony
boshak's Tacoma Gallery
Bet its something small affecting your fuel ratio...

Dirty throttle body... Bad PCV valve.

Good luck OP! Keep us updated.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:35 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2Queens6 View Post
There is a super small vacuum hose that's easy to forget that goes behind the air intake assembly. I'm assuming you have an OEM intake so you're gonna have to pull a lot off when you changed the plugs.
No actually i have a URD intake, so theres alot of space to work on that side. Im sure there are no hoses lose or off i double checked and re checked again..
Old 05-07-2012, 12:50 AM   #29
Bishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

This can be a really dumb/obvious question, but were the correct coil packs and plugs placed into the correct cylinder...? Something so simple may be overlooked.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:53 AM   #30
boshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to behold

boshak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This can be a really dumb/obvious question, but were the correct coil packs and plugs placed into the correct cylinder...? Something so simple may be overlooked.
He said he did one plug at a time so he's pretty certain on the correct order.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:54 AM   #31

Maybe check the integrity of the plug itself, not only a loose connection, but a bent and/or dirty tab.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:58 AM   #32

boshak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Maybe check the integrity of the plug itself, not only a loose connection, but a bent and/or dirty tab.
He swapped plugs twice :P
Old 05-07-2012, 01:23 AM   #33

Quote:
Plus isnt the length of the coil so short that it can only reach that plug? Well thats what it seemed like anyways, but yeah i did it one at a time and went thru two sets
Old 05-07-2012, 09:55 PM   #34

Are you supposed to disconnect the battery before you change plugs?
Old 05-07-2012, 11:12 PM   #35
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I never do.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:52 PM   #36

boshak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I don't. Did you take it to the shop? What's the verdict?
Old 05-08-2012, 12:02 AM   #37
Muscles is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Load Master
Name: Kyle
Muscles's Tacoma Gallery
subbed, for when i attempt to change my plugs haha
Old 05-08-2012, 12:03 AM   #38
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Probably don't need to, but I live by the rule to disconnect the battery for anything electrical. I know after I mess with the plugs or MAF it dies out on me on the first crank and then the second time starting it runs like crap for like 30seconds. I would try disconnecting your battery for like an hour or so.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:24 AM   #39

Well when i took it the shop i told them everything whats going on. They checked everything, test drove it and it happened to them, all they did was disconnect the battery for a couple minutes then started her up again, then it ran fine after the first 5min. They told me by doung that your jus restting the ecu..i guess?? So hopefully tomorrow everything goes well
Old 05-08-2012, 01:55 AM   #40
06yoda is a jewel in the rough06yoda is a jewel in the rough06yoda is a jewel in the rough06yoda is a jewel in the rough
Navy: Engineman
Name: Tanner
06yoda's Tacoma Gallery
I thought one bank was supposed to have ngks and the other denso. I believe they are different length. You prob didn't tighten the plug itself Enough.