Old 02-21-2012, 07:33 AM   #101
paul's08 is on a distinguished road
Name: Paul
paul's08's Tacoma Gallery
Dyno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
Yes. Many times. More in more out.

Although a short dyno pull from 3400 to 6200, there is a dyno posted in the intake manifold spacer thread, that was done this Saturday. Automatic 4Runner with 1gr engine. Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, TRD gen 1 intake, exhaust cam gears, NST (www.nonstoptuning.com) intake manifold spacer. His 4Runner made 231whp and 291 wtq. Proven. Runs a 14.3 in his 4500 pound heavy weight as well.
What were the results below 3400. For some highly modified engines it could be a loss. What are the results for an engine with an air cleaner and a muffler change? More in, more out ? How munch more?
Old 02-21-2012, 08:01 AM   #103
Dyno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
Can't get lower starting point on an auto. Otherwise it shifts mid pull.

You want to see the results, go here: www.xr-underground.com then start a search for dyno results.

You will find a lot.
You refer to an engine with manifold, cam, and headers and rev to 3400 to 6200. That will get you gains at those rpms due to a scavenging effect. What does that have to do with a daily driver with a air cleaner and a muffler change?
Old 02-21-2012, 08:09 AM   #104
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul's08 View Post
You refer to an engine with manifold, cam, and headers and rev to 3400 to 6200. That will get you gains at those rpms due to a scavenging effect. What does that have to do with a daily driver with a air cleaner and a muffler change?
You forgot to take the braaaaaap factor into consideration.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:17 AM   #105
Guilty

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
You forgot to take the braaaaaap factor into consideration.
That I did.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:34 AM   #106
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
There is no cam. I said cam gears. Our engines have 4 cams. The cam gears are specifically for the exhaust cams. It is the exhaust cam gears that replace the factory ones. They came with the APR X-1 kit.

It seems you overlooked the point where I stated that it is an auto and can not be done any lower. The cam gear increase scavenging across the whole rpm range. Not just the upper. They allow a small overlap of the intake and exhaust cams to aid in intake air push combustion exhaust out. Thus improving efficiency, cooling the combustion chamber, and increasing power, by way of scavenging. If you want more info on how that works, best bet is to study up on different types of cams. If you want a simplified version, go here: www.aprpower.com

The point of my reference was that not one part alone made his levels that high. They each contributed.

How can you ask, "what does that have to do with a daily driver with a air cleaner and a muffler change,"? His vehicle is his daily driver. With a few extra bolt-ons.

Did you even look where I directed you yet? I know you are curious. That is why i directed you to a source that has tons of data on you specific question.

Increase efficiency increase power. Simple. Keep your foot out of it, and you will also increase gas mileage, if you want to.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:22 AM   #107
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
The build so far: ProEFI Pro128 EMS [] CP Pistons [] Pauter Rods [] Brain Crower Billet Knife Edged Crank [] ARP Head Studs [] Dual Valve Springs w/Ti Retainers [] Cometic Head Gaskets [] Aeromotive Stealth 340 LPH Fuel Pump [] Tomei Fuel Pressure Regulator [] Injector Dynamics 1000 cc Injectors [] Killer Glass Radiator Tube [] Top Fuel Oil Catch Can [] Torspd Custom Turbo Header [] Polydyn Ceramic Coated Header and Merge Collector [] Precision Turbo 6265 Journal Bearing [] TiAL BOV and Wastegate [] Greddy Profec B II Boost Controller [] Intake Manifold Spacer [] NST Waterpump Pulley [] Caltrac Traction Bars [] One Piece Driveshaft [] Tundra Racing 4x4 Rear Lowering Kit [] QA1 Adjustable Front Coilovers [] Spec Stage 3+ Clutch [] T56 Transmission in waiting as well as motor being sleeved by Darton. Last edited by Torspd; 02-21-2012 at 10:39 AM.

I would listen to this fellow! This is someone who has done his homework, you don't see PaceSetter header here.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:37 AM   #108
blkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
blkbelt42's Tacoma Gallery
CAI & replace the muffler
Old 05-31-2012, 06:01 PM   #109
KaeserTRD is on a distinguished road

Name: Kyle
KaeserTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Put in a good muffler and a AFE filter. I really doubt you will notice much power from either, just better throttle response and a deeper tone.

I would steer away from a cat-back on a N/A truck, the exhaust seems to be already pretty free flowing (except for the muffler). If you ever go supercharged or turbocharged then I would definitely go for a much larger exhaust.

Here is my favorite muffler.....
http://www.jegs.com/p/Hooker-Headers...44863/10002/-1

I had them on two vehicles I owned in the past and my buddy put on on his V6 Ranger. Great tone, free flowing, and it will not cause drone on the highway.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:10 PM   #110
Jetfixer
aptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adrian
aptech's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDITECH View Post
Go with the exhaust the engine is an air pump in very basic form. Doesnt mater how much air you put in if there is a restriction getting it out. So i would do the exhaust and free up the out first.
yap best bang for the buck
Old 05-31-2012, 08:13 PM   #111
Jetfixer
aptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adrian
aptech's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearskill View Post
Ok, I read the other posts on this, but explain to me again the secondary air filter again please. It's not really an intake filter, but a filter to stop vapors getting out once the engine has shut off??? So it is "ONLY" for emisions? It will not negativly affect the engine at all if I take it out?
the guy from urd had some pretty intresting dyno runs with all diiferent config. he stated that the secondary filter made absolutly no differance in or out it was the same hp either way. the only way to can hp would to change the box ie cai system.js
Old 04-21-2013, 10:50 PM   #112
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
In the Exhaust vs Cold Air Intake option, I chose neither and went with a header instead for more low rpm performance.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:04 PM   #113
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
I have a K&N intake filter and a Magnaflow muffler. Total cost for both parts was less than $100, I'm satisfied and my truck sounds great.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:55 PM   #114
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
I hear ya.
After listening to the 2.7 muffler youtubes, I ordered a Magnaflow. Love that sound.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:59 PM   #115
DSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Daniel
DSully72's Tacoma Gallery
if you are going for sound, cant go wrong with magnaflow. the CAI is cool, but not for off road. I know yall 2nd gens cant do the deck plate mod, but I plan on taking out my CAI and doing the deck plate mod not too far down the road from now. is the TRD intake box water tight?
Old 06-09-2013, 09:41 AM   #116
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What were the results below 3400. For some highly modified engines it could be a loss.more?
That's the drawback with auto dyno runs. They're highly informative if you're racing, but totally useless for regular everyday drivers. I could drive for 6 months without ever coming close to 3,400 rpm. I'll be doing a baseline 2.7 dyno soon to compare changes from future mods, and it'll start at 1,500.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:17 PM   #117
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSully72 View Post
if you are going for sound, cant go wrong with magnaflow. the CAI is cool, but not for off road. I know yall 2nd gens cant do the deck plate mod, but I plan on taking out my CAI and doing the deck plate mod not too far down the road from now. is the TRD intake box water tight?
Define water tight

1st response would be "no" due to it needing air

Second response being, "no" due to bolts going through lid and bottom.

"Resistant" would be closer, meaning its ok in rain.

And what's wrong with an intake offroad?

There's more than 1 type/brand of filter to use, plus prefilter socks
Old 06-12-2013, 12:26 AM   #118
NorthCountryEvo is on a distinguished road
Army: Grey Eagle UAS Driver, 160th SOAR
NorthCountryEvo's Tacoma Gallery
So, what is the best options here not only for sound, but for fuel economy? Performance gains are great, but I'm curious as to what is going to boost the fuel econ the most as well
Old 06-12-2013, 12:34 AM   #119
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCountryEvo View Post
So, what is the best options here not only for sound, but for fuel economy? Performance gains are great, but I'm curious as to what is going to boost the fuel econ the most as well
Fuel economy..... keep ur foot light.

I get the same mpg now with blower, intake, headers, y pipe, 3" exhaust as I did without.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #120
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
Can people stop reviving old threads already the guy chose already if you read it all and the op has not been on since November so let the thread fade away

Products Discussed in this Thread