1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD Cold Air Intake

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by geezer, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Nov 13, 2007 at 1:11 PM
    m3dragon

m3dragon Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sacramento
    Do you get any peddle reverberation?

I have the AFE intake which is the same as the TRD without saying TRD.

2. Nov 13, 2007 at 1:12 PM
    m3dragon

Member:
    Sacramento
    AFE also has a larger filter. I just installed the AFE instake

3. Nov 13, 2007 at 5:22 PM
    Kevin296@adelphia.net

Kevin296@adelphia.net Member

Member:
    Central NY
    Vehicle:
    Rad Red Sport
    TRD exhaust TRD CAI Urd Maf Cal TRD seat covers Black Tacoma and Toyota Emblems Subbie ant
    m3dragon
    when I get to4500 to 5000 rpm you can feel some reverbration but I feel mostly coming from the air box.
    Love the whole system of TRD CAI, Exhaust and URD Maf

4. Nov 14, 2007 at 7:10 AM
    m3dragon

Member:
    Sacramento
    ok so I am not crazy than LOL. I did notice I took out the plug at the bottom of the airbox ( the part right by the washer fluid). It seems to have less reverberation now. I think it was being caused so much air being rammed in around the fender.

5. Nov 18, 2007 at 10:38 PM
    dabighi

dabighi Well-Known Member

Member:
    you sure that afe has the larger filter??? i think maybe the same size the trd. i wanna say that the trd is a 4.5-5inch cone with a 4inch base. im not sure you could fit a larger filter into that box..UNLESS the full on afe system has a larger box.

6. Nov 19, 2007 at 5:58 AM
    m3dragon

Member:
    Sacramento
    TRD is a cone and the AFE is open at the end. Kind of hard to explain but if you look at the pics of a TRD and a AFE the filter is the only difference.

7. Dec 22, 2007 at 5:10 PM
    littleschipper

littleschipper Active Member

Member:
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Vehicle:
    '07 Tacoma Dbl Cab 4X4 TRD (Stealth mode - No Stinkin' Body Badges here!)
    TRD Cat Back Exhaust, Leer 100XQ Bed Cap, 3M Paint Protector Film, Cool SMT LED Bulbs for Brake Lights, WeatherTech Floor Liners, Pop-N-Lock Tailgate Lock, Toyota Bed Divider, 2002 Yamaha V-Max Hot Rod Motorcycle for More Fun!
    Ghostsix, just getting the TRD Off-Road package does not include the exhaust (or Cold Air Intake for that matter). The package is mostly suspension stuff, like the upgraded Bilstein Shocks, skidplates, etc. The TRD exhaust is not installed from the factory, it's a dealer or do-it-yourself accessory. I purchased the TRD exhaust when I bought my truck as part of the original sales order and had the dealer install it prior to delivery. The only problem with this was I didn't get the original factory exhaust back, I was going to sell it to recoup some of the cost. The line the dealer gave me was they contract with another company that visits dealers to perform these kinds of pre-delivery installations and they took the original exhaust as part of the deal. Don't know if this affected the cost of the installation or not, but since the "dealer" installed it before delivery it's covered under warranty.

8. Dec 22, 2007 at 5:43 PM
    m3dragon

Member:
    Sacramento
    You could install a SC and still not affect warranty. Install what you wish just make sure it is a tested product. Only time warranty will be voided if the dealer can prove the part you installed caused the damage. And yes there was a supreme court case on this.

9. Dec 30, 2007 at 3:31 PM
    Jester234

Jester234 Member

Member:
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Tacoma, Prerunner, Sport, 4.0 L
    AFE Air Intake, Serius Sat. radio install, magnaflow exhaust, westin nerf bars, much more to come
    So i Just got a 07 Taco. and just ordered my AFE cai and the sales man told me that afe makes trd systems. trd was looking for the best cai out there and it was too costly to make their own so they went with AFE.

But i have a couple questions bout the install. first i heard that the gains wont be as good unless i get it calibrated. and if thats the case should i wait till i get my exhaust. what exhaust would you suggest? i dont need stainless i live in az. now i heard about a MAF Cailbrator from URD but i heard they cancel the manufactures waranty

10. Apr 19, 2009 at 3:12 PM
    dpd327

dpd327 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Everett, Washington
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport Double Cab SB 4X4 w/TRD CAT/BK
    Goodyear Wranglers, De-badged, Aviation Radio added (VHF and Marine band)
    Ghost Six,

Unless you ordered the TRD exhaust you do NOT have the TRD exhaust. It is about a 520.00 option that you would select at buy time. I added it to my Turd Sport and love the rumble and slight increase in HP...probably 4 or 5 HP....I have not bothered to dyno my truck yet....but I am up from the stock 236 HP that the 4L purports to host.

I am debating installing the CAI from my friends at TURD land I mean TRD....I can not legally do it here in Snohomish County Washington because I will add more carbon to my emissions and probably flunk the stupid emissions...but! I don't have to do emissions for five stinking years and at 399.00 for the TURD I mean TRD CAI, I can always yank it out before the emissions inspection....

DPD327 Jim

11. Apr 20, 2009 at 8:16 AM
    4x4Taco

4x4Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4X4
    245 HP if you use high-octane fuel....!!!!

12. Apr 20, 2009 at 8:34 AM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    wow old thread revival!

Products Discussed in

To Top