Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

My POS Doug Thorley Header

Old 05-23-2012, 04:32 PM   #22
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
maxpower29's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
Those pictures will help out even more man. secondly, who did you purchase the header through? Maybe you received one that is for an older model 4 cylinder?
bought it from URD. Emailed him but didnt get a response yet. I know for a fact hes busy so I will give that a day or so
Old 05-25-2012, 06:05 PM   #23
8sm is on a distinguished road

8sm's Tacoma Gallery
I'm really sorry to hear you're having these problems with DT. Did you try to reaching out to DT before you started grinding.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:36 PM   #25
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

still have not had this problem fixed. URD is helping me out though even though its not really his problem with it being a defect, so props to him. But DT seems to not want anything to do with it. Actually told me I would have to ship it to them, and that shipping it back to me would "probably be covered by us". lol I dont see that happening there son
Old 07-07-2012, 09:42 AM   #26
Bosmob is a glorious beacon of lightBosmob is a glorious beacon of lightBosmob is a glorious beacon of lightBosmob is a glorious beacon of lightBosmob is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Kevin
Bosmob's Tacoma Gallery
I'm having the exact same issues with my 2011.

The "EGR" thing you are referring to is the Air Switching Valve. Mine is contacting the header to the point where the header can't seal up against the head. I have an exhaust leak there. The Insulator Pipe(horseshoe shaped) had to be heated up and bent numerous times for it to fit.

I'm still dealing with it right now.
Does anybody know if there is a difference between the 2005-2007 header and a 2011 header?
Old 07-07-2012, 10:04 AM   #27
Locked and Lifted "02" DC TRD.
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Matic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workman View Post
Workman has had this issue before with his POS 98 Jeep Wrangler 2.5 four banger. He ordered a header (cant remember the brand, 10 years ago) and he had to grind off multiple sections in order for it to fit. It was a big pain in Workman's ass.\

Once the header did fit and was installed, no performance gains were noticed, the noise was not good, and it was a big waste of time/money.

Workman soon after sold his Jeep, never again to buy a 4 banger Wrangler.....worst engine ever for the Jeep.
Why are you speaking in 3rd party?
Old 07-07-2012, 11:27 AM   #28
Bosmob is a glorious beacon of lightBosmob is a glorious beacon of lightBosmob is a glorious beacon of lightBosmob is a glorious beacon of lightBosmob is a glorious beacon of light

Bosmob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower29 View Post
still have not had this problem fixed. URD is helping me out though even though its not really his problem with it being a defect, so props to him. But DT seems to not want anything to do with it. Actually told me I would have to ship it to them, and that shipping it back to me would "probably be covered by us". lol I dont see that happening there son
What did you end up doing?
Old 07-07-2012, 01:02 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosmob View Post
I'm having the exact same issues with my 2011.

The "EGR" thing you are referring to is the Air Switching Valve. Mine is contacting the header to the point where the header can't seal up against the head. I have an exhaust leak there. The Insulator Pipe(horseshoe shaped) had to be heated up and bent numerous times for it to fit.

I'm still dealing with it right now.
Does anybody know if there is a difference between the 2005-2007 header and a 2011 header?
nope mine is the same shit. I called DT, left them messages, emailed back and fourth, and they still wont do anything about it. They wont even listen to me when I say Im 100% sure its fucked. I will NEVER buy another POS DT product again
Old 07-07-2012, 01:03 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosmob View Post
What did you end up doing?
emailed URD what he wanted to know 2-3 weeks ago and didnt get a response. Im pretty pissed at everyone in the deal. Pay $500 for a BOLT ON header and now I have a hunk of metal laying here useless
Old 07-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #31
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower29 View Post
That's what I said. I wasn't mad but then they started saying "we sell 100's of these and never had a problem" and "yours is the first I have heard that doesn't fit". I told him to go on here because about 5-10 people have had troble with the install and then didint get a response
You are not the first. Ask me how I know. Brown goop is where it was hitting under side of valve.
Attached Thumbnails
My POS Doug Thorley Header-photo0364.jpg  
Old 07-07-2012, 03:46 PM   #32

Bosmob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves104x4 View Post
You are not the first. Ask me how I know. Brown goop is where it was hitting under side of valve.
So let me get this straight. You are now successfully running a Doug Thorley header on your truck?

I'm thinking of just taking mine off and reverting it back to stock...
Old 07-07-2012, 05:12 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves104x4 View Post
Oh my God see, those fucking idiots dont believe me about the header hitting it. I wish you guys would call and complain so they would believe me lol
Old 07-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #34
jeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BM3 1st Div.
Name: Jeff
jeff b's Tacoma Gallery
To bad Downey went out of business. Top notch header! Hope you get this worked out.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:07 PM   #35
Large Breast Enthusiast
GEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
GEORGE STRAIT's Tacoma Gallery
Well, until today I was considering buying one. What a shame. A company's customer service sets the "tone at the top"- obviously DT doesn't give a shit about their customers.. Maybe once their only real competitor, LCE, stopped making headers. Good luck Maxpower
Old 07-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #36
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
FWIW, on the DT website the +05 2.7L Tacoma header is spec'd for years 05-08.

I have a DT header that I bought used off of another forum. It installed just fine and I didn't know I had any issues for a couple years. Then I started having a CEL come on for the air switching valve sticking. Long story short, the bottom of the valve was (and still is) making contact with part of the header. After enough vibration, the air switching valve finally developed a dent/crack which was causing the CEL. When I tried replacing the valve I found that there are at least three different part numbers for this part. I first ordered the newest one which ended up not fitting with the header. I had to return it and get the original part number so that it would fit. I've been running with that valve for several months, probably almost a year without a problem. It also made contact with part of the header.

I think the changes in the air switching valve design have made the DT header fit worse, even though it didn't really fit perfectly to begin with.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:19 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGE STRAIT View Post
Well, until today I was considering buying one. What a shame. A company's customer service sets the "tone at the top"- obviously DT doesn't give a shit about their customers.. Maybe once their only real competitor, LCE, stopped making headers. Good luck Maxpower
ya Im still not getting a response from him. We emailed back a few times before and now he just stopped answering, and not returning messages on the phone. Great customer service.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:22 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by afd23a View Post
FWIW, on the DT website the +05 2.7L Tacoma header is spec'd for years 05-08.

I have a DT header that I bought used off of another forum. It installed just fine and I didn't know I had any issues for a couple years. Then I started having a CEL come on for the air switching valve sticking. Long story short, the bottom of the valve was (and still is) making contact with part of the header. After enough vibration, the air switching valve finally developed a dent/crack which was causing the CEL. When I tried replacing the valve I found that there are at least three different part numbers for this part. I first ordered the newest one which ended up not fitting with the header. I had to return it and get the original part number so that it would fit. I've been running with that valve for several months, probably almost a year without a problem. It also made contact with part of the header.

I think the changes in the air switching valve design have made the DT header fit worse, even though it didn't really fit perfectly to begin with.
heres what the URD site says
-
"This performance header system is a true Tri-Y design for maximum performance gain on your 2005+ Toyota Tacoma with the new 2.7L engine"
-
Im sure the engines are the same too.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:27 PM   #39
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
i have nothing to contribute but i have read this thread and that is very surprising and disappointing to hear. sub'd.

sucks dude, hope they make it right.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:38 PM   #40
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
After enough vibration, the air switching valve finally developed a dent/crack which was causing the CEL. When I tried replacing the valve I found that there are at least three different part numbers for this part.

If the diaphram inside the valve isn't melted or ripped, you can dis-assemble the original valve and have that bottom cover ALUMINUM welded on the inside so that you can grind a bigger notch on the outside to make it fit with enough clearance to no touch the header air pipe (this is what I had to do)