Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

My POS Doug Thorley Header

Old 07-09-2012, 07:27 PM   #41
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower29 View Post
heres what the URD site says
-
"This performance header system is a true Tri-Y design for maximum performance gain on your 2005+ Toyota Tacoma with the new 2.7L engine"
-
Im sure the engines are the same too.
The engines are for the most part the same. At some point Toyota changed the air switching valve part design and IMO this is the reason why DT only says it fits 05-08. However poor the fitment was before, it's worse on trucks that have the newer air switching valve. DT probably didn't want to revise their design and just changed their product description to say 05-08. While their dealers should've been notified of the change, it's possible they weren't notified or didn't update their info.

Quote:
If the diaphram inside the valve isn't melted or ripped, you can dis-assemble the original valve and have that bottom cover ALUMINUM welded on the inside so that you can grind a bigger notch on the outside to make it fit with enough clearance to no touch the header air pipe (this is what I had to do)
I wish I had kept the old valve so I could do that. The diaphragm inside was starting to come apart but it would've been nice to have the bottom piece fixed with a notch.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:40 PM   #42
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
maxpower29's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves104x4 View Post
After enough vibration, the air switching valve finally developed a dent/crack which was causing the CEL. When I tried replacing the valve I found that there are at least three different part numbers for this part.

If the diaphram inside the valve isn't melted or ripped, you can dis-assemble the original valve and have that bottom cover ALUMINUM welded on the inside so that you can grind a bigger notch on the outside to make it fit with enough clearance to no touch the header air pipe (this is what I had to do)
Ya two people have said this but I dont want to have to do that to my brand new truck. I dont think I should have to either because its a bolt on mod
Old 07-10-2012, 12:41 PM   #43
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by afd23a View Post
The engines are for the most part the same. At some point Toyota changed the air switching valve part design and IMO this is the reason why DT only says it fits 05-08. However poor the fitment was before, it's worse on trucks that have the newer air switching valve. DT probably didn't want to revise their design and just changed their product description to say 05-08. While their dealers should've been notified of the change, it's possible they weren't notified or didn't update their info.

I wish I had kept the old valve so I could do that. The diaphragm inside was starting to come apart but it would've been nice to have the bottom piece fixed with a notch.
Im hoping that I dont have to do this. I would be pissed to have to melt away a part of my truck when Im not 100% comfortable with doing so
Old 07-10-2012, 12:44 PM   #44

Anyways, I got an email back from DT today. Here is a copy paste of it.
-
ME - "So I have called URD, called you and left a message, and have been waiting over 2 months with no answer to what Im suppose to do with this header that does not work. Its called a "bolt on modification" so when I spend $500 to buy one, Im pretty pissed off that it does not fit right. Im tired of the run around, I want a new header. Tell me when I will have it.
Jordan "
-
THEM - "Jordan,
This has been forwarded to the owner and r&d to see what can be done to get this situation."
-
What does that even mean?
Old 07-13-2012, 05:16 PM   #45
03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Navy Veteran
Name: Zach
03is300ztk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Anyways, I got an email back from DT today. Here is a copy paste of it.
-
ME - "So I have called URD, called you and left a message, and have been waiting over 2 months with no answer to what Im suppose to do with this header that does not work. Its called a "bolt on modification" so when I spend $500 to buy one, Im pretty pissed off that it does not fit right. Im tired of the run around, I want a new header. Tell me when I will have it.
Jordan "
-
THEM - "Jordan,
This has been forwarded to the owner and r&d to see what can be done to get this situation."
-
What does that even mean?
Sounds like a hurry up and wait kind of situation. Sounds time to start gathering all communications back and forth and see about possible suit.

Way large headache for a 500 dollar part, but its the principle and if they do it once, they will do it again.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:43 PM   #46

Still waiting for something to happen. Man oh man DT was the worst company I have bought from buying Tacoma parts. They seriously suck.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:55 PM   #47
Duck Killing Machine
Siebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: CJ
Siebler's Tacoma Gallery
The "customer service" guy Blows dogs for quarters. I work custoemr service as a retail manager and I could never let this guy for for me. I have been waiting 9 months for them to warranty my 2 year old header that cracked between where the tubes all come together. At one point he stopped replying to emails so I started calling every 2 weeks.

2 times ago when I called I had been told it was redesigned and would be in production and available in 6 weeks. Well I called back in 6 weeks and he told me 3 weeks out. That is coming up this week so we will see what happens.

I like my header but the customer service sucks big time. think the guys name is Nick?
Old 07-16-2012, 06:03 PM   #48
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Still waiting for something to happen. Man oh man DT was the worst company I have bought from buying Tacoma parts. They seriously suck.
Hang on; don't go Ape s--t. Life happens and when Toyota makes a change I'm sure they don't PM DT. Be cool; I'm sure they are as surprised as any of us. On my truck (like yours) it was JUST touching the air valve enough that I had to make a choice- bend the pipe to the valve or notch the underside of the valve- I chose the latter because I didn't want to risk breaking the pipe but ended up grinding through the valve instead. After a little aluminum welding inside the valves lower cap...I have had zero problems with the header since install 2 years ago.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:57 PM   #49
03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Navy Veteran
Name: Zach
03is300ztk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves104x4 View Post
Hang on; don't go Ape s--t. Life happens and when Toyota makes a change I'm sure they don't PM DT. Be cool; I'm sure they are as surprised as any of us. On my truck (like yours) it was JUST touching the air valve enough that I had to make a choice- bend the pipe to the valve or notch the underside of the valve- I chose the latter because I didn't want to risk breaking the pipe but ended up grinding through the valve instead. After a little aluminum welding inside the valves lower cap...I have had zero problems with the header since install 2 years ago.
I have to agree with you, however you have to ask the same question, at what point in time does just a little welding to make it work, become too much welding.

When a company offers a product from X year to Y year, they should be doing the R&D to make sure they can stand behind that. And if they missed something they should be will to jump through some serious hoops to make it happen or provide the customer with proper restitution and apology.

Food for thought.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:25 PM   #50
Bosmob is a glorious beacon of lightBosmob is a glorious beacon of lightBosmob is a glorious beacon of lightBosmob is a glorious beacon of lightBosmob is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Kevin
Bosmob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The rep from DT is actually been pretty helpful with me. We emailed like 10 times already and he sent a return label to ship my old header back to them.

He told me they will build me a new one. I will have to wait and see what happens.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:26 PM   #51

I know its easy to look at and say wait it out, but the fact he stops answering the calls and emails is where I get pissed. I was calm for 2 months with him and now I have had it. I would l get it welded at work but without a second vehicle to use (GF uses it for homecare) I think it would be hard) and frankly I don't want to. They should be refunding me the money after this long IMO
Old 07-17-2012, 01:52 PM   #52
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
I agree; if it doesn't fit and you want your money back there should be no questions asked. In fact, I think it's the Law.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:49 AM   #56
she'll ride
nut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AC3 (Vet)
Name: Patrick
nut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Good idea. I'm going to and see how that goes
let us know how it goes. make sure you act professional with them IMO dont go into talking trash. just give them the facts and let them do what they do
Old 07-29-2012, 07:49 AM   #57
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
Guy i used to work with bought a DT header for his 3.4..took him like 3-4 months just to get it when he paid for overnight shipping. He also had to make them
Fit. Id never buy something from doug thorley..social media is where its at man, forward this link to TW to the company and let them see how many people are steering away from there products.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:53 AM   #58
she'll ride
nut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AC3 (Vet)
Name: Patrick
nut's Tacoma Gallery
from DT's website:

"LIMITED WARRANTY - DOUG THORLEY HEADERS PRODUCTS ARE WARRANTED AGAINST DEFECTIVE MATERIALS AND WORKMANSHIP FOR AS LONG AS YOU, THE ORIGINAL CONSUMER PURCHASER, OWNS SAID PRODUCT.

LIMITED WARRANTY IS NON-TRANSFERRABLE. PROOF OF PURCHASE REQUIRED. ANY NON-DEFECTIVE, UNOPENED, UNUSED, NOT-INSTALLED ITEM MAY BE RETURNED WITHIN SEVEN WORKING DAYS OF RECEIPT AND WILL BE SUBJECT TO A 20% RESTOCKING/ REPACKAGING FEE.

BLUING AND/OR DISCOLORATION OF CHROME EXHAUST SYSTEMS/PRODUCTS ARE NOT COVERED.

CONTACT DOUG THORLEY HEADERS CUSTOMER SERVICE DEPARTMENT DIRECTLY AT (951) 739-5900 TO OBTAIN R.O.G. NUMBER PRIOR TO RETURN OF PRODUCT.

AUTHORIZED PRODUCT(S) RETURNED WILL BE REPAIRED OR REPLACED AT DOUG THORLEY HEADERS’ DISCRETION.

DOUG THORLEY HEADERS IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY OTHER EXPENSES, INCLUDING LABOR FOR REMOVAL OF DEFECTIVE PARTS INCURRED BY THE CUSTOMER UNDER THE TERMS OF THE WARRANTY, NOR SHALL DOUG THORLEY HEADERS BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES WEATHER CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL, CONTINGENT OR OTHERWISE, OR EXPENSES OR INJURY ARISING FROM THE USE OF DOUG THORLEY HEADERS PRODUCTS.

A DETAILED COPY OF SALE TERMS, CONDITIONS AND WARRANTY INFORMATION IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST. "

Shitty that they throw in "at their discretion" im glad the weather concerns them though lol
Old 07-29-2012, 07:54 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
Guy i used to work with bought a DT header for his 3.4..took him like 3-4 months just to get it when he paid for overnight shipping. He also had to make them
Fit. Id never buy something from doug thorley..social media is where its at man, forward this link to TW to the company and let them see how many people are steering away from there products.
Its pretty bad. I mean, I would wait for a few months if was a mistake and they told me how they would fix it. But not taking blame for it and then getting me to hold off over and over again is just bullshit.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:59 AM   #60
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
There hoping you will just go away. DT is a shitty company, and from reading different threads on here i would not buy anything from them.