Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Muffler delete/exhaust removal

Old 05-24-2012, 08:05 AM   #1
UNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Weston
UNDEAD1153's Tacoma Gallery
Muffler delete/exhaust removal

I love the sound of the straight piped tacomas, I was thinking about a muffler delete then into a y-pipe. The parents think any kind of new exhaust, even adding a new muffler, will "mess up the truck". Not sure what could go wrong at all with a new name brand muffler?? They think that it could lead to a catalytic converter failure or exhaust re-entering the engine?? As long as the exhaust exits the car it will not return to the engine, am I correct? And if I do decide to "straight pipe" it will just be a muffler delete. And it's funny how they say an aftermarket exhaust will mess it up because the TX Pro comes with an "aftermarket" Toyota exhaust.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:07 AM   #2
More Cowbell!
VooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Carter Ivey
VooDoo's Tacoma Gallery
The TRD is not an aftermarket exhaust. And I would keep the TRD one because that is the best combination of sound/performance "gains" (slim to none with mufflers) unless you want to drop some serious cash in an exhaust overhaul (headers, y-pipe, cat-backs, etc, etc)
Old 05-24-2012, 08:07 AM   #3
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
BRRRRAAAAAPPPPPPPPPP

That being said, don't be a bro, get a muffler, V6's sound like butthole piped... Shit anything except a vtwin sounds like crap without a muffler.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:12 AM   #4
Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice
BAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Edward
BAMFTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Op I you want todo a straight pipe setup then go on summit racing website and they sell electric cut outs you can keep the Trd but flip of a switch make it straight pipe
Old 05-24-2012, 08:16 AM   #5
UNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to behold

Haha I hate how quiet the TRD is, you can't hear it until you actually get on it or when it drones like crazy from 1.5K-3k rpm. And tacobo670 did a straight pipe and new headers on his and that thing sounds crazy!!
Old 05-24-2012, 08:17 AM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Do you know what straight pipe means? If you keeps your cats then that's not straight pipe.

Tacos without mufflers sound like crap. You like it because you don't know what a good exhaust sounds like yet. But it is possible to do without damaging anything. You could simply unbolt the rear exhaust section at the flange and braaaaap away. You will lose low end power doing this.

Another way to do it is chop the pipe before the exhaust and run a turn down. No need to do anything special since you are leaving the cats in place.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildlandtaco View Post
Op I you want todo a straight pipe setup then go on summit racing website and they sell electric cut outs you can keep the Trd but flip of a switch make it straight pipe
Where do I find this???
Old 05-24-2012, 08:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Do you know what straight pipe means? If you keeps your cats then that's not straight pipe.

Tacos without mufflers sound like crap. You like it because you don't know what a good exhaust sounds like yet. But it is possible to do without damaging anything. You could simply unbolt the rear exhaust section at the flange and braaaaap away. You will lose low end power doing this.

Another way to do it is chop the pipe before the exhaust and run a turn down. No need to do anything special since you are leaving the cats in place.

I know I'm just being a teenager but I guess that's just the thing for us in south Tennessee haha
Old 05-24-2012, 08:21 AM   #9
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNDEAD1153 View Post
Where do I find this???
.... um summit racing....
Old 05-24-2012, 08:24 AM   #12

That's awesome!! And it just bolts on to the stock flange??
Old 05-24-2012, 08:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildlandtaco View Post
hey I think it's on summit racing
Oh hey! I had no idea! haha I was just looking at the exhaust section on SUMMITRACING.COM and couldn't find anything like that
Old 05-24-2012, 08:26 AM   #14
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
I know I'm just being a teenager but I guess that's just the thing for us in south Tennessee haha
I did the same with my Ranger. One day I decided it sounded like crap so I bolted the stock exhaust back on. I got my power back, my truck didn't sound like crap and I could hear my music. Also this was my truck I was modding. If your parents say no then pretty much too bad so sad.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:26 AM   #15
Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice
BAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

You gotta weld it on and there's two cutouts you can buy one with the electric switch or a manual one were you have to go underneath and take the three wings nuts off pretty simple
Old 05-24-2012, 08:28 AM   #16

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/aaf-all34230
This is what I found and it says it's a bolt on???
Old 05-24-2012, 08:29 AM   #17

That bolts onto the y pipe
Old 05-24-2012, 08:32 AM   #19
Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice

Quote:
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/aaf-all34230
This is what I found and it says it's a bolt on???
That's the electric switch just posted links above
Old 05-24-2012, 08:51 AM   #20

So it welds on after the headers? Before the Cats? I'm wanting it to bolt on right after the stock y-pipe.