1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sound from timing belt or water pump?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by TatianaTee, May 25, 2012.

1. May 25, 2012 at 12:05 PM
    TatianaTee

TatianaTee [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tatiana
    SD, CA
    Vehicle:
    01' PreRunner V6
    I just recently got my timing belt and serpentine belts replaced (2weeks ago) and immediately upon receiving the car back, a sound started to appear that had never been there before. As soon as I turn on the ignition, a low-pitched rotating noise appears, as if there is friction from something turning. As I start driving slowly, the noise gets more frequent as the sound intervals of the rubbing are becoming shorter because of the faster rotations of something (my knowledge about cars is minimal idk what this "something" could be). I brought the car back to the mechanic today, drove around the parking lot with him so he could hear the sound. At first, he said it sounded like it was coming from the breaks, which I thought was ridiculous. I left the vehicle with them, and the mechanic who had been in charge of replacing my timing belt the previous visit called me bak with a diagnosis: apparently since the new timing belt is tighter, it causes stress on all of the pullies and bearing etc which causes the water pump needing to be replaced. He quoted me $575 to do this.

To me, this sounds like I'm being ripped off and given a weird and unnecessary diagnosis. Since they were in charge of the timing belt repair, shouldn't they have driven the car and tested it instead of just handing it back to me with a noise? Apart from the water pump, they had also previously said that I need to get my head gaskets changed and my engine washed out/inspected and told me that I needed to change my cabin air filter because it was "REALLY dirty".... I do research to later find out that my model of tacoma doesn't even have a cabin air filter.... Anyway, some help and advice regarding the timing belt sound and its relation with the water pump would be great. Thank you!!!

PS I have ~100k miles on it

2. May 25, 2012 at 12:09 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    On a typical timing belt change, the water pump and idlers are changed with the belt.

3. May 26, 2012 at 7:06 PM
    koco

koco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area Ca.
    Vehicle:
    '01 Taco
    Around $26,000 worth of unleaded in the fuel tank.
    Why would anyone bother to change a timing belt and not change the water pump while they were in there? It sounds like the timing belt is rubbing on something, so maybe they screwed it up installing it. The new belt should be about the same tension as the old one because of the hydraulic tensioner.

4. Jun 1, 2012 at 7:17 AM
    03f5sp

03f5sp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road dcsb
    Front 5100s @ 2.5, 1.5 AAL, 265/75-16 all terrains
    Let me guess, you went to Jiffy Lube?

5. Jun 1, 2012 at 10:45 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Probably one of your idler pulleys has a bad bearing.

Products Discussed in

To Top