Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Which mod will get me the most power?

Old 05-30-2012, 04:04 PM   #21
CantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FTR
CantSitStill's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leggo View Post
Want better low end acceleration? change your gearing.
This /\

Then, remove your bed, throw on some 155/50 R14s, air em up to 60psi, take out all your interior panels and passenger seats. Remove your bumpers,front driveshaft and dash. Go on a diet and get to 2% body fat.
All this should get you a 0-60 drop of a second or better!!! You can get up for work later cuz you'll be so much faster.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:07 PM   #22
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Supercharger yet?
Old 05-31-2012, 08:28 PM   #23
Jetfixer
aptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adrian
aptech's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
You are welcome, and thank you as well.

I am still wanting to find someone here local to me, to do some, low rpm starting point, before and after NST manifold spacer dynos. If I cannot find any body, then i will just have to wait until my built engine is back.
im just an hour away pm me see if a can help ya
Old 06-07-2012, 12:00 PM   #24
stowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
stowayman's Tacoma Gallery
TRD supercharger or save your hard earned cash... vettes go fast... yotas cruise
Old 06-07-2012, 12:08 PM   #25
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaBound View Post
No seriously, throttle body spacers are like 15 horse power when Plasti-Dipped.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:14 PM   #26
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaGus View Post

I'm looking for low end power, someone correct me if i'm wrong.
youre wrong

the BEST mod you could do to get a shitload more power is actually really simple. Any bro can do it, with no mechanical experience at all. it doesnt cost you anything UP FRONT so to speak. it makes your ride handle better, accelerate faster, sound cooler when you get on it, AND it even lightens your whip. this mod? we call it trading our truck in for a sports car. there you have it, cats out of the bag.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #28
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650H1 View Post
youre wrong

the BEST mod you could do to get a shitload more power is actually really simple. Any bro can do it, with no mechanical experience at all. it doesnt cost you anything UP FRONT so to speak. it makes your ride handle better, accelerate faster, sound cooler when you get on it, AND it even lightens your whip. this mod? we call it trading our truck in for a sports car. there you have it, cats out of the bag.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:20 PM   #29
AFZ is on a distinguished road
AFZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaGus View Post
i'm looking at less than $500 preferably. The headers (including install) would be the most i'd spend
You are wasting your time.

While I'm still new to the 1GR-FE, I've been around the block with many other modern engines (VQ35DE & Mod 4.6 especially) and here is the deal - they are maxed out from the factory.

HP and TQ sell cars and manufactures know it, so it's in their best interest to make a car perform to it's fullest from the factory. Very few cars today come with horrific heads, exhaust, intakes and exhaust manifolds like they did in the 70's and 80's.

Mid-90'S Mod 4.6s (Ford Mustang et al) are a great exception. They made a lousy 225hp and had a really poorly flowing exhaust. Exhaust swap and a PI Head swap made huge improvements and bumped compression, but you are looking at a LOT of work but a reasonably parts cost ($1,700).

The VQ on the other hand is a different story. 285hp from the factory and putting down roughly 245hp at the wheels, with all the bolt ons in the world, headers, exhaust, intakes, spacers ect - you would be lucky to see a 5-15hp increase and these is after spending +$2,000 on parts. Many mods are proven to reduce performace (certian size spacers kill TQ, metal intakes get hot, heating the air thus defeating the purpose of a "CAI", not to mention the water lines that often head the throttle body, headers lose TQ as well).

One member on MY350Z spent nearly $10,000 to make a N/A 300WHP (50hp gain) motor, including cams, ported heads, high compression pistons, tuning ect.

The moral of this story is that if you want to see any actual performance gains, save your money and either turbo or supercharge the motor. Otherwise you are just spending money for the sake of spending money.

An Air-Intake will make the engine bay look cooler. An Exhaust will make your car sound faster (louder), a spacer will give you something to put on your mod list. If you really want to feel faster, skinny tires. You'll spin them all day with a dab at the gas pedal.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:21 PM   #30
AFZ is on a distinguished road
AFZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650H1 View Post
youre wrong

I did the opposite - traded my 350Z for a Tacoma.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:09 PM   #31
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
Again I have to ask why more power? I can out run most people on the road in my truck or in a YUGO! I used to drive my uncles B2200 for work, and I could zoom around just fine. most people drive with their heads up there ass, or even in a vette, all they know to do is to drive fast in a straight line. its skill, traffic placement, and being aware of your surroundings and judging traffic and the ability to change lanes to get around pokies that does the trick. remember its not always the fastest race car that wins its the skill of the driver.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:40 PM   #32
CantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertgeejr1 View Post
Again I have to ask why more power? I can out run most people on the road in my truck or in a YUGO! I used to drive my uncles B2200 for work, and I could zoom around just fine. most people drive with their heads up there ass, or even in a vette, all they know to do is to drive fast in a straight line. its skill, traffic placement, and being aware of your surroundings and judging traffic and the ability to change lanes to get around pokies that does the trick. remember its not always the fastest race car that wins its the skill of the driver.
But you can't put a sticker on your truck that says, "I drive better than you"
and your truck won't sound any different. It's the penis game... I spent more money on mods than you did, therefor my truck is better than yours.
In college I drove a 1984 VW GTi that had 95 HP and I drove circles around people. Shit, that little bunny shook like mad at 112 mph, but it got there and it handled like it was on rails with some super sticky Yokohama street legal autocross tires.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #33
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post

dont want the TW internet insult task force following me around!
Old 06-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #34
MPG? LOL
sean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
sean266's Tacoma Gallery
Get a Tundy =)
Old 06-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #35
Turbo Meister
Speed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Speed Freek's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSitStill View Post
But you can't put a sticker on your truck that says, "I drive better than you"
and your truck won't sound any different. It's the penis game... I spent more money on mods than you did, therefor my truck is better than yours.
In college I drove a 1984 VW GTi that had 95 HP and I drove circles around people. Shit, that little bunny shook like mad at 112 mph, but it got there and it handled like it was on rails with some super sticky Yokohama street legal autocross tires.
*Winning* the penis game, I have a V8,lol.

For the OP, S/C or forget about it..
Old 06-11-2012, 02:41 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Freek View Post
*Winning* the penis game, I have a V8,lol.

For the OP, S/C or forget about it..
Around here they say, "there's no replacement for displacement". I guess that means the V 8 FTW!!