Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Removing tail pipe after Resonator, Help

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-29-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
logcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Micah
logcabinwc's Tacoma Gallery
Removing tail pipe after Resonator, Help

Hey all, quick question. I bought my truck and the previous owner put on a Volant Exhaust System with a chrome tip. The volant part is fine but the chrome tip is not really my style. I had asked in another thread about chopping off the end of it but I was just looking at it and it seems like after the resonator there is a clamp that connects to the last part of the pipe that goes up and over the back axle. That pipe has two hangers attached to it, one of which I've boxed in red in the pic below.

My question is 3 part:
1) It looks like these hangers can come apart somehow in the middle? How is this done?
2) If this pipe comes off, will it effect the "stability" of the resonator... in other words will that thing flap around unless I weld on some type of hanger?
3) And lastly can I go to Orielly's and pick up a pice of exhaust piping to angle the exhaust down as it come right out of the resonator, and use a clamp to put it on? I just don't to spew hot exhaust gas strait onto the axle and spare tire.. want to point that stuff down and out of the way!

Help would be greatly appreciated... I'm probably waaaay over thinking this. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Removing tail pipe after Resonator, Help-picture-1.jpg  
Old 05-29-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
novanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
novanut21's Tacoma Gallery
You push the rubber part of the hanger off of the pegs that go through the rubber piece to get them off. Here a sample of a turn down I found but have to make sure you get the right size for the pipe that you have.

http://www.amazon.com/Flowmaster-T30...342687&sr=8-25
Old 05-29-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
Petrol head
RenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sloan
RenoTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
wd-40 helps get the exhaust hangers off
Old 05-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #8
logcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Well I crawled up under there again this afternoon and I'm worried that if I put on a simple turndown coming out of the resonator that it will spew all the exhaust onto the axel..
would this be bad? Any other solutions?
I've just spent the last half hour searching online for something that could point it down far enough to avoid the axel and I can't find a dang thing.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:01 PM   #9
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Chop the tip off?
Old 05-29-2012, 09:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Chop the tip off?
ya i was hoping avoiding the "chopping" part because i dont have an angle grinder... and just taking the portion after the resonator off wouldn't require any cutting (the pipe attaches to the resonator via a clamp)
Old 05-29-2012, 09:11 PM   #11
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by logcabinwc View Post
ya i was hoping avoiding the "chopping" part because i dont have an angle grinder... and just taking the portion after the resonator off wouldn't require any cutting (the pipe attaches to the resonator via a clamp)
Why not just leave it then? Wait until you get the right tool to cut it.

Edit: I don't see a Volant exhaust for Tacos.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:19 PM   #12

I'd rather not wait just because it will be a looong time before I get the right tool because I'm still a student sitting in an apartment. I won't have a garage, or extra cash for a nice angle grinder, for a long time.
And the volant was on the truck when i bought it so I'm not quite sure about that...
Old 05-29-2012, 09:21 PM   #13
Banned
Just leave it.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Just leave it.
cool thanks for the help.

Anyone else have any ideas?
Old 05-30-2012, 05:49 AM   #16
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Stop by an exhaust shop and see if they have, or can quickly/cheaply make, a turn-down that you're looking for. A chunk of pipe, a bender and saw is all they'd need, not sure of the price though. BTW, you can buy a hacksaw pretty cheap to cut through the pipe where you want it, just need a bit o' muscle.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:45 AM   #19
sleeper8406 is on a distinguished road
sleeper8406's Tacoma Gallery
Why don't you just paint it with black high temp paint?
Old 05-30-2012, 10:09 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkin View Post
Stop by an exhaust shop and see if they have, or can quickly/cheaply make, a turn-down that you're looking for. A chunk of pipe, a bender and saw is all they'd need, not sure of the price though. BTW, you can buy a hacksaw pretty cheap to cut through the pipe where you want it, just need a bit o' muscle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonoluluTaco View Post
Can you take more photos? I'm sure that would give us a better idea.
Also like lurkin said, a hacksaw works fine to cut pipe just take your time so you get a straight cut.
I wasn't sure if a hacksaw could handle it but ill give that a shot and see if I can find a cheap turndown at Orielly's this afternoon. I will at least try that before throwing some money at a muffler shop.. Ill try and get more pics but the wheel kinda gets in the way.. but if a hacksaw can handle it I'm sure I can add a little muscle to get it done!
Thanks for all your help guys, I'll let you know how it goes!

Products Discussed in this Thread