Notices

Plugs

Old 05-29-2012, 03:57 PM   #1
Danno 1948 will become famous soon enough
Marines: L/corpal
Name: Dan
Danno 1948's Tacoma Gallery
Plugs

How many people have changed there plugs at 60000 miles and what plug did you put back in. Thanks
Old 05-29-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Stock every 30K. I just bought some for my change at 60K.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #4
I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1
Johns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
Johns Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I had a slight stumble at idle and replaced my plugs with the stock irridiums at 58k, stumble went away. I also cleaned my throttle body which had a lot of carbon in it at this time, chances are the throttle body was the problem. The irridiums are supposed to last 100k, either way my engine idles like new now.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:41 PM   #7
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post

on another note Denso K20HR-U11 right?

I dont wanna go to the garage right now
Correct.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:45 PM   #8
Rackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to behold
Name: Kevin
Rackster's Tacoma Gallery
Change interval for spark plugs

I agree with the others - buy the OEM replacement plugs. Personally, I'm an advocate for using OEM replacement parts wherever needed and when available. Older vehicles sometimes leaves the owner having to buy aftermarket without a choice, so do the research and buy with more confidence.

I guess I'm surprised with the replacement interval. I had a 2000 Ranger that required replacement at 100K. However, Haynes recommended replacement at 60K despite manufacturer's recommendation. When I took the plugs out, they showed wear, but I didn't have any loss in performance (power or MPGs). I'd assume Toyota would have done something similar. My Honda Accord recommended 100K as well.

Do Tacomas' really require replacement at 30K? If not, I'd follow the manufacturer's recommended interval unless the computer is throwing a code requiring replacement.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:48 PM   #9
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
I don't remember which style specifically of Denso comes from the factory. I think they are the IKH20's. I know when they install the TRD s/c, that they upgrade them to IKH22's. Which are a step colder.

The other head of the engine come with NGK plugs. I have no idea which style those are.
Also to clarify, a "Colder" plug doesnt mean the spark is "colder", it simply means there is less insulator in the tip area, and allows the plug to exchange heat with the head at a faster rate (thus keeping the plug cool). Some folks think that Iridium plugs, or Platinum, etc., are automatically "colder", which is not the case. Some think running colder plugs even gives better performance. Nope. When running a lower heat range plug in an egine not deisgned for it, it will increase the nitrogen oxides (iirc) and can cause shit to build up in the CC, and lead to a poor running engine. Always run the correct heat range plug. In Torspd's case, he is supercharged, and needs to run the colder plug to avoid detonation in his engine.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackster View Post
I agree with the others - buy the OEM replacement plugs. Personally, I'm an advocate for using OEM replacement parts wherever needed and when available. Older vehicles sometimes leaves the owner having to buy aftermarket without a choice, so do the research and buy with more confidence.

I guess I'm surprised with the replacement interval. I had a 2000 Ranger that required replacement at 100K. However, Haynes recommended replacement at 60K despite manufacturer's recommendation. When I took the plugs out, they showed wear, but I didn't have any loss in performance (power or MPGs). I'd assume Toyota would have done something similar. My Honda Accord recommended 100K as well.

Do Tacomas' really require replacement at 30K? If not, I'd follow the manufacturer's recommended interval unless the computer is throwing a code requiring replacement.
The 4.0 V6 has Copper/Nickle plugs, and they are recomended to be changed at 30k miles. The OEM Denso plugs have gone longer in vehicles, and had the gaps remain in specs., but the NGK's are spent at 30k (or before).
Old 05-29-2012, 06:04 PM   #11
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Also to clarify, a "Colder" plug doesnt mean the spark is "colder", it simply means there is less insulator in the tip area, and allows the plug to exchange heat with the head at a faster rate (thus keeping the plug cool). Some folks think that Iridium plugs, or Platinum, etc., are automatically "colder", which is not the case. Some think running colder plugs even gives better performance. Nope. When running a lower heat range plug in an egine not deisgned for it, it will increase the nitrogen oxides (iirc) and can cause shit to build up in the CC, and lead to a poor running engine. Always run the correct heat range plug. In Torspd's case, he is supercharged, and needs to run the colder plug to avoid detonation in his engine.
Very well said sir.

Side note: Turbo charged.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:04 PM   #12
Rackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to behold
30K for Nickel

Thanks Chris. I guess I'm a little surprised that the other manufacturers moved to platinum plugs with longer intervals and Toyota did not (at least for the Tacoma V6s). But if the folks at Toyota spec 30K, I'd replace them on interval with OEM replacements.

I had a Nissan Stanza that ran on NGKs. Decent plugs as I recall.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:06 PM   #13
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
The 4.0 V6 has Copper/Nickle plugs, and they are recomended to be changed at 30k miles. The OEM Denso plugs have gone longer in vehicles, and had the gaps remain in specs., but the NGK's are spent at 30k (or before).
I was offered Iridium plugs when I went. Derp maybe?
Old 05-29-2012, 06:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackster View Post
Thanks Chris. I guess I'm a little surprised that the other manufacturers moved to platinum plugs with longer intervals and Toyota did not (at least for the Tacoma V6s). But if the folks at Toyota spec 30K, I'd replace them on interval with OEM replacements.

I had a Nissan Stanza that ran on NGKs. Decent plugs as I recall.
Alot of manufactures like to get on the "Low Cost of Ownership" band wagon. Increasing the time interval between plug changes reflects a lower cost of ownership. The bottom line on plugs is just basic electricity fundamentals. The best conductor (copper) will allow the electricity to flow most efficiently. Electricity follows the path of least resistance (so multiple point plugs are moot points.....so to speak). Platinum, iridium, unubtainium, supertonium, etc., last longer, but arent as efficient as copper plugs. Copper plugs are most efficient, but errode faster.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I was offered Iridium plugs when I went. Derp maybe?
Who knows. They probably wanted to make a few bucks more off ya.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:11 PM   #17
Banned
Quote:
Who knows. They probably wanted to make a few bucks more off ya.
Well shit. They charge enough for the vehicle.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #18
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I change mine every 30K. Just did them on my 4Runner on Saturday. Put the factory Denso's back in, got all 6 of them from the dealer for $22 (employee discount).

Had NGK's in them from the last tune up I did at 60K.

Here's how they looked.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:30 PM   #19
Gimmick Plugs

Thanks for the explanation Chris. I was never an advocate of gimmicky plugs (e.g. the split fires). As others can attest to, poor idles, off gas mileage, engine codes, etc. are proof enough. I suppose that there are a few owners out there that have intimate knowledge about their vehicles, have built and tuned their engines to run with aftermarket parts, but most owners (me) are better off with the stock replacements. Otherwise, I'm likely to make matters worse...when trying to make them better.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:35 PM   #20
Danno 1948 will become famous soon enough
Marines: L/corpal
Name: Dan
Danno 1948's Tacoma Gallery
Well thanks for the info,I will use the toyota plugs but just got the tacoma so maybe toyota did it before I got it....( YA RIGHT)