1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Plugs

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Danno 1948, May 29, 2012.

1. May 29, 2012 at 3:57 PM
    Danno 1948

Danno 1948 [OP] Danno 1948

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Ocala,Fl.
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tacoma Trail Edition/ Ice White
    little bit of everything
    How many people have changed there plugs at 60000 miles and what plug did you put back in. Thanks

2. May 29, 2012 at 5:06 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Which year vehicle, and engine?

3. May 29, 2012 at 5:23 PM
    Johns Taco

Johns Taco I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    05 DSM Base SR5 Slug Taco
    Full custom stereo, onboard air compressor, train horns, spacer lift, 30" tires, optima yellow top, rear slider window & tailgate anti-theft mod, pop & lock, class 3 tow hitch, lights in bed, Ultra Gauge, Weather Tech mats, yellow fog lights, camper top, air lift rear airbags, rear diff breather mod, soon to be more...
    I had a slight stumble at idle and replaced my plugs with the stock irridiums at 58k, stumble went away. I also cleaned my throttle body which had a lot of carbon in it at this time, chances are the throttle body was the problem. The irridiums are supposed to last 100k, either way my engine idles like new now.

4. May 29, 2012 at 5:27 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    I am a Denso fan. Shoot, half of the engine comes with them anyway from the factory.

For you, Denso IKH20s

5. May 29, 2012 at 5:41 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    I don't remember which style specifically of Denso comes from the factory. I think they are the IKH20's. I know when they install the TRD s/c, that they upgrade them to IKH22's. Which are a step colder.

The other head of the engine come with NGK plugs. I have no idea which style those are.

6. May 29, 2012 at 5:41 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Correct.

7. May 29, 2012 at 5:45 PM
    Rackster

Rackster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    '04 E/cab 4x4 2.7 Auto SR5
    I agree with the others - buy the OEM replacement plugs. Personally, I'm an advocate for using OEM replacement parts wherever needed and when available. Older vehicles sometimes leaves the owner having to buy aftermarket without a choice, so do the research and buy with more confidence.

I guess I'm surprised with the replacement interval. I had a 2000 Ranger that required replacement at 100K. However, Haynes recommended replacement at 60K despite manufacturer's recommendation. When I took the plugs out, they showed wear, but I didn't have any loss in performance (power or MPGs). I'd assume Toyota would have done something similar. My Honda Accord recommended 100K as well.

Do Tacomas' really require replacement at 30K? If not, I'd follow the manufacturer's recommended interval unless the computer is throwing a code requiring replacement.

8. May 29, 2012 at 5:48 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Also to clarify, a "Colder" plug doesnt mean the spark is "colder", it simply means there is less insulator in the tip area, and allows the plug to exchange heat with the head at a faster rate (thus keeping the plug cool). Some folks think that Iridium plugs, or Platinum, etc., are automatically "colder", which is not the case. Some think running colder plugs even gives better performance. Nope. When running a lower heat range plug in an egine not deisgned for it, it will increase the nitrogen oxides (iirc) and can cause shit to build up in the CC, and lead to a poor running engine. Always run the correct heat range plug. In Torspd's case, he is supercharged, and needs to run the colder plug to avoid detonation in his engine.

9. May 29, 2012 at 5:49 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    The 4.0 V6 has Copper/Nickle plugs, and they are recomended to be changed at 30k miles. The OEM Denso plugs have gone longer in vehicles, and had the gaps remain in specs., but the NGK's are spent at 30k (or before).

10. May 29, 2012 at 6:04 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Very well said sir.

Side note: Turbo charged. ;)

11. May 29, 2012 at 6:04 PM
    Rackster

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Chris. I guess I'm a little surprised that the other manufacturers moved to platinum plugs with longer intervals and Toyota did not (at least for the Tacoma V6s). But if the folks at Toyota spec 30K, I'd replace them on interval with OEM replacements.

I had a Nissan Stanza that ran on NGKs. Decent plugs as I recall.

12. May 29, 2012 at 6:08 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Same for me. Plus, what I have pulled of of one of my used engines. Lol. Most likely just chance though.

13. May 29, 2012 at 6:09 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Alot of manufactures like to get on the "Low Cost of Ownership" band wagon. Increasing the time interval between plug changes reflects a lower cost of ownership. The bottom line on plugs is just basic electricity fundamentals. The best conductor (copper) will allow the electricity to flow most efficiently. Electricity follows the path of least resistance (so multiple point plugs are moot points.....so to speak). Platinum, iridium, unubtainium, supertonium, etc., last longer, but arent as efficient as copper plugs. Copper plugs are most efficient, but errode faster.

14. May 29, 2012 at 6:10 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Who knows. They probably wanted to make a few bucks more off ya.

15. May 29, 2012 at 6:17 PM
    NelsonTacoma

NelsonTacoma This is my derpawayinator!!!!!

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Sport 03 4Runner Limited 4wd
    Bilstein 5100's , 6000k HID Hi/Low Kit, Magnaflow Muffler, 1.5 inch AP Wheel Spacers, Mudflap Delete
    I change mine every 30K. Just did them on my 4Runner on Saturday. Put the factory Denso's back in, got all 6 of them from the dealer for $22 (employee discount).

Had NGK's in them from the last tune up I did at 60K.

Here's how they looked.

[​IMG]

16. May 29, 2012 at 6:30 PM
    Rackster

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the explanation Chris. I was never an advocate of gimmicky plugs (e.g. the split fires). As others can attest to, poor idles, off gas mileage, engine codes, etc. are proof enough. I suppose that there are a few owners out there that have intimate knowledge about their vehicles, have built and tuned their engines to run with aftermarket parts, but most owners (me) are better off with the stock replacements. Otherwise, I'm likely to make matters worse...when trying to make them better.

17. May 31, 2012 at 4:35 PM
    Danno 1948

Danno 1948 [OP] Danno 1948

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Ocala,Fl.
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tacoma Trail Edition/ Ice White
    little bit of everything
    Well thanks for the info,I will use the toyota plugs but just got the tacoma so maybe toyota did it before I got it....( YA RIGHT)

18. May 31, 2012 at 9:33 PM
    Burritos Taco

Burritos Taco Active Member

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB 4x4 6sp
    Bilstein 5100s set at 1, 5160s rear,URD MAF calibrator, KN 63 series,DT Longtubes,Magnaflow cats, Walker Quiet Flow muffler, 2x Vibrant ultra quite resonators, TRD quickshifter
    I just did the plugs in mine. 92,000 miles and still had the stock ngk/denso setup, and they were really worn down.

Replaced them with IKH20s, runs better now.

Products Discussed in

To Top