Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

4cyl Factory Locker Install

Old 12-28-2008, 12:07 PM   #1
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Question 4cyl Factory Locker Install

Ok, so I am looking to get the factory TRD Locker installed in my truck. Truck is a 2008 Pre-Runner Acess Cab 5spd manual SR5 model, no TRD packages and the 2.7L under the hood. I ran this idea by the salesman when purchasing the truck, and he replied, "I do not believe this is available in the 4 cyl Tacomas" but what the hell do they know? The axle is identical to what the 4x4's are equipped with and i don't see why this wouldn't be possible.

I have considered putting a ARB Air Locker into the truck, but have been somewhat deterred due to the need of an on board air supply. I want to keep things as simple as possible, 'factory', and be able to take it into the dealer anywhere in the country if something goes wrong.

Any estimates on cost either? I wouldn't imagine it could be over 700-900 installed.. I have the tools and knowledge to this my self too, if the dealers rates are not feasible, being that it wont be warrantied no matter how I do it. Some help on this would be much appreciated!
Old 12-28-2008, 12:19 PM   #2
Beef Slut
vtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Willie
vtragweed's Tacoma Gallery
maybe try detroit trutrac
Old 12-28-2008, 01:01 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
X2 on the Detroit. The factory uses 2 different carriers and axels for the 6 lug trucks (4x4 and Prerunner). The NON Locking axel is whats called an 8.4", while the locking one is an 8". The locker axel uses a different carrier and the axel is different to accomodate the locker. To get the TRD E-locker on your truck, your gonna have to swap the whole rear out.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:11 PM   #4
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
X2 on the Detroit. The factory uses 2 different carriers and axels for the 6 lug trucks (4x4 and Prerunner). The NON Locking axel is whats called an 8.4", while the locking one is an 8". The locker axel uses a different carrier and the axel is different to accomodate the locker. To get the TRD E-locker on your truck, your gonna have to swap the whole rear out.

Well thats no good... Apparently I was ill-informed, but thats what you guys are for right?

As far as the Detroit is concerned, how well do these things hold up? was with a friend in the past when we shattered his, but i HIGHLY doubt these 4 bangers could even think of causing that kind of damage. I really was looking for something that i could command, but if it is quick to engage and will stay engaged (crawling up steep trails) this has to be the way to go.

I am really feeling the price too. I found a few for 410 shipped!
Old 12-28-2008, 01:27 PM   #5
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I have never heard of anyone blowing up a Detroit Tru Track, your friend is the first.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:35 PM   #6
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I have never heard of anyone blowing up a Detroit Tru Track, your friend is the first.
I was scatching my head too. 2wd, high traction surface, and loads of power dont work too well though. He was screwing off, doing stuff you should never do an automatic locker. Non of these things are unbreakable. Detroit replaced it free of charge. Why, well that i do not know because i sure as hell wouldnt have.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:37 PM   #7
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Other then that, I've seen plenty of them break axles due to how ridiculously tuff they are.....

EDIT: The axle in the pre-runner is still the 1.31" and 30 spline, right?
Old 12-28-2008, 04:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC4333 View Post
Other then that, I've seen plenty of them break axles due to how ridiculously tuff they are.....

EDIT: The axle in the pre-runner is still the 1.31" and 30 spline, right?
I belive so, but Im not positive.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:02 PM   #9
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Im pretty sure it is too, ill ask the dealer before I go and order anything.

Im really glad you guys recommended the TrueTrac. I would have never though to check if they had one for my truck. After some weighing the pros and cons of it I dont think i could go wrong with it for what ill be doing with the truck. Not to mention the price saving over an ARB locker.

As far as the diff NOT locking when a wheel is up in the air, I've heard from a few people in the past that if you pull your E-brake out a touch it will 'trick' the diff into locking and get you out of some nasty situations. With that said, I dont know why the hell I would ever be in a position like that with a pre-runner anyways! Thanks for the help Chris and ragweed!
Old 12-28-2008, 06:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Im pretty sure it is too, ill ask the dealer before I go and order anything.

Im really glad you guys recommended the TrueTrac. I would have never though to check if they had one for my truck. After some weighing the pros and cons of it I dont think i could go wrong with it for what ill be doing with the truck. Not to mention the price saving over an ARB locker.

As far as the diff NOT locking when a wheel is up in the air, I've heard from a few people in the past that if you pull your E-brake out a touch it will 'trick' the diff into locking and get you out of some nasty situations. With that said, I dont know why the hell I would ever be in a position like that with a pre-runner anyways! Thanks for the help Chris and ragweed!
In the past, I have used the vehicle brakes and modulated the pressure. E-brake works too.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:36 PM   #11
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Chris if i understood you correctly, there is no way to bolt this carrier up to my axle housing right??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-to...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 01-01-2009, 05:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Chris if i understood you correctly, there is no way to bolt this carrier up to my axle housing right??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-to...QQcmdZViewItem
Thats the whole 3rd member. Im not sure if that will bolt right up. I know that the carrier wont fit, but I havent heard, or tried to change one 3rd member for one with an e-locker. Call the dealer and see if there are 2 different part numbers for the 3rd. member 8" and 8.4". I seem to remember the back of the 8" locker axel haveing a bulge built into it to clear the locker actuator.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:57 PM   #13
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Shit, meant to say the third member... (to little sleep last night) Ill ask them when I go in to get my clutch squeak taken care of.

In your own opinion do you think the elocker would be better suited then a TrueTrac?
Old 01-01-2009, 06:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Shit, meant to say the third member... (to little sleep last night) Ill ask them when I go in to get my clutch squeak taken care of.

In your own opinion do you think the elocker would be better suited then a TrueTrac?
I think the Tru Track is a stronger unit. There have been a few people that have broken their e-lockers doing donuts, and your friend is the first person I have heard of to hurt a Detroit.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:17 PM   #15
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet, thats what i wanted to hear. It will be cheaper to do anyways.

As far as my buddy goes, that was kind of rare. After looking at the carnage it appeared what happened was one of the axles broke, and when that happened it caused the locker to shatter. Logic says that its the only order in which it could have happened... I've also read of this happening with a couple other in race applications (cars)

I definitely have confidence in Eaton products. Thanks for the help chris!
Old 01-01-2009, 06:28 PM   #16
New Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Retired
Name: Fred
New Mexico Taco's Tacoma Gallery
4cyl locker

I've reading alot about upgrades for four cylinder drive trains. I have one question has anyone went out and tried their trucks on the trails. My 2008 is my second four cylinder. The first one was an 2002 extra cab. I went all over three states with that truck. The best example of what it would do was the day I followed some Jeeps across country. They saw me following and had to stop to see what I was driving. They were surprised to find out my almost stock Tacoma kept up with the modified Jeeps.
Before you start throwing money at your ride go out and see what it will do. I think you will be surprised.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:55 PM   #17
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
I've taken that beast thru some pretty stout terrain so far. About as rough as you can get for the Texas hill country. Until recently i worked as a chief surveyor for a land developer and had to take it anywhere that i had to shoot a point (practically everywhere). If it wouldn't go there, i took out the Rhino 660. I was EXTREMELY impressed in what it can/did do for a 2wd truck and would buy another in a heart beat. cant speak for the 4x4s, but i found that the open diff was the main thing holding it back. Thats my experience with the Tacoma.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:24 AM   #18
671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

671taco's Tacoma Gallery
was wondering if ever got to installing the tru trac? i want to install a locker on my 2010 reg cab prerunner as well.
do prerunners some with lsd? non trds