Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

cost to have Short Tube Headers Installed?

Old 06-01-2012, 02:38 PM   #1
TacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gus
TacomaGus's Tacoma Gallery
cost to have Short Tube Headers Installed?

Most everyone on here who has done headers has gotten the Long tubes, but i'm more interested in low end gains and wanted to see the input on guys here who have the short tubes and what cost was like for the install?

I've searched and couldn't find anything definitive on here, but other sites were stating as high as $600 bucks for install, but i think that was due to them being cars (mustangs, chargers, civics) and thus the space was tighter and engines even needed lifted.

If the numbers are outrageous then i'll just order the urd maf cal...
Old 06-01-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I want to get a set too. I just need to do it already.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:59 PM   #4
TacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I want to get a set too. I just need to do it already.
ya i'm debating between these and the urd maf cal cuz i have no confidence in my self to solder, so the maf cal+ wiring harness will be $500. DT short tubes are 350ish+ 200-300 for install so idk
Old 06-01-2012, 05:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by novanut21 View Post
IIRC I paid about $250-$300 to have mine installed.
i see you have an intake, catback, y pipe and the headers so idk where the headers were added in, but did you notice any significant low end difference?
Old 06-02-2012, 03:07 AM   #6
novanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
novanut21's Tacoma Gallery
I added the headers & y-pipe at the same time. And I was also supercharged before I did the headers and y-pipe but by deleting the rear cats with the y-pipe It felt like I lost a little bit of low end due to less back pressure in the exhaust system. I'm not going to say you will have a significant difference in low end with the stock y pipe and short tubes but I would think you would pick up some low end. Good luck with which ever one you choose.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:59 AM   #7
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
It should be a little less than when I had them put on my stang years ago, they had to unbolt the motor and trans and lift them up, (but I then replaced all the mounts and clutch) but if you do do headers, I got them at JEGRS, get new manifold bolts, and exhaust gasket, don't reuse, or get OEM, it cost more, but you won't have to worry about a failure. and you would be surprised as to how hot your floor will get, I was, I would look into wrapping the headers, or extra heat padding under your feet, one thing I overlooked.
believe me those babies get hot.
mine cost 650 to install.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:06 AM   #8
Nothin' Special
especk is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
especk's Tacoma Gallery
Just checked my receipt:

$100 to have the header installed

$75 to have the catback installed

I purchased the items online seperately and had them installed by my local shop. They always have great prices on stuff like this installation.

edit: btw it was Doug Thorley header and catback
Old 06-02-2012, 08:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by especk View Post
Just checked my receipt:

I purchased the items online seperately and had them installed by my local shop. They always have great prices on stuff like this installation.

damn thats nice! But arent the 4 banger headers bolt on regardless, thus requiring no welding? And even if that was the price it'd still be atleast $200 for me since they'd do both sides
Old 06-02-2012, 08:22 AM   #10
Nothin' Special
especk is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
especk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaGus View Post
damn thats nice! But arent the 4 banger headers bolt on regardless, thus requiring no welding? And even if that was the price it'd still be atleast $200 for me since they'd do both sides
Correct. Forgive me for not realizing our applications are quite different.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Correct. Forgive me for not realizing our applications are quite different.
well still that gives me a good idea within the range of prices, seems like it'd be between 250-300 for install at a local shop. Hopefully this helps out others
Old 06-02-2012, 09:35 AM   #12
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Just checked my receipt:

they make those for the 3.4 and 4.0 ( I think )also, and they are good quality headers.
since its a hard and somewhat expensive upgrade, and one mistake on the install and you will have problems, is why I cannot stress enough to spend the money upfront so you won't have problems later.
the cheap headers are prone to rust, or blowthrough over time, or bad welds on the pipes, I'm not trying to be a now it all, but I have seen alot over the years with headers.
there is a good write up on the install on the 3.4 on customtacos site, I know not the same as yours but give you a idea of what's involved.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertgeejr1 View Post
they make those for the 3.4 and 4.0 ( I think )also, and they are good quality headers.
since its a hard and somewhat expensive upgrade, and one mistake on the install and you will have problems, is why I cannot stress enough to spend the money upfront so you won't have problems later.
the cheap headers are prone to rust, or blowthrough over time, or bad welds on the pipes, I'm not trying to be a now it all, but I have seen alot over the years with headers.
there is a good write up on the install on the 3.4 on customtacos site, I know not the same as yours but give you a idea of what's involved.
no any advice is welcome. I will eventually be getting headers, just unsure of long or short ones. I'm prob just gonna get the maf cal first then down the road when i get headers i can tune to the length and even with the long tubes perhaps make up lost low end power?
Old 06-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #14

Ok, you can go in both directions, and I had my stang 11 years before I got back to reality and got my truck, anyway.. the motors in both are sort of close in some respects. overhead cams, loves to rev, and higher power band, and somewhat lacking in low end grunt. and with the stangs and cobra's there are 2 camps, shorty's or the long tubes.
long tubes are great if you live on a drag strip, they really kick-in above 4000 (i also did the gears,) I liked having the power on tap at the start with out having to run the motor so hard. and I would have to wonder if you are off roading would it not be better to have the extra power at a lower range.
and I will tell you that doing the gears will hit your mpg if you do a lot of highway driving, I only did the mild change I think to 4:10 and instead of 1800 at 70 mph she was pulling 2600 at 70.... (why some people were putting 6-speeds in stangs)
either way, do some major google searches on the supject, and read both side, and figure out whats best for you.
remember: opinions are like assholes everyone has one
of course it was nice, years ago I was driving home and got above Charleston WV on 77 and there was no traffic, and I rolled along about 90-110 to the ohio river.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:51 PM   #15
2009tacomav6 is just really nice2009tacomav6 is just really nice2009tacomav6 is just really nice2009tacomav6 is just really nice
Navy:
2009tacomav6's Tacoma Gallery
solid thread. I was talking to the folks at doug thourey today. they have long tubes out for the 2012 now. they had to do a redesign becuase of the air injection. they plan to have the short tubes out in about 3 moths.