Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Aftermarket exhaust idle issues.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
ChristianB is on a distinguished road
Name: Christian
ChristianB's Tacoma Gallery
Aftermarket exhaust idle issues.

Hey everyone. A few days ago i installed a Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust system on my 2012 Tacoma. I noticed that it is idling a lot lower, it's idling roughly at 750, after i have driven it a bit and its warmed up. Prior to installing the exhaust it would idle at like a grand warmed up. I also notice shifting gears is different, when i might be shifting into say 4th i could still be in 3rd, because the rpms are lower. I am not sure if this is normal or if the internal computer needs time to recallibrate the new exhaust, but anyone who might have had the same issues any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:51 PM   #2
austinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to behold

Name: Austin
austinramsay's Tacoma Gallery
Weird but just drive around with it for a little and maybe it will change? But my 96 v6 idles around 750, so thats alright.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:01 PM   #4
I noticed it a few days ago and thought maybe if a drive around a little it might straighten itself out maybe it was just the truck adjusting but still idling low.

No check engine light. It doesn't sound like it's going to stall out either, it is still idling smooth. Just seems a little low, at least compared to when the stock exhaust was on.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #5
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
How long have you had the truck?

Also, it sounds like maybe they disconnected the battery during the install. Then after you got it back and drove it around, the computer learned all of its parameters, and now drives like it should.

Since it is idling smooth, I would say that it is working just the way it is supposed to.

Mine idles between 700-800 normally.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:02 PM   #6
I have owned the truck since mid november. I installed the exhaust system myself. I had not disconnected the battery when it started idling lower. Then i heard disconnecting the battery will reboot the computer, so i tried. It changed nothing.

Is yours stock exhaust? or aftermarket? The only reason i am slightly concerned is that it wasn't idling this low prior to installing the exhaust. If it's normal, it's normal right, i am just curious if anyone else had this happen or if it can be tweaked.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:06 PM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I wouldn't even worry about it.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #8
It just seemed a little odd to me so i wasn't too sure. I was so used to driving the truck prior the the exhaust that i shift gears based on memory and feeling, i dont look at the rpms too much but when i was shifting like i normally would it felt gutless in comparison. Then I started paying attention to the rpms, and noticed they are lower at speeds where they would have been higher previously.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:22 AM   #10
EATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mark
EATABULLETcom's Tacoma Gallery
i also had this happen on mine when i installed the magnaflow catback myself, and i did disconnect the batt while i did mine cuz they said to in the instructions.
my rpms at idle are the same as yours, ive been told its because my new exhaust is 3in diameter and the stock is i think 2 1/2 so it has less back pressure and can "breathe" a little better. i like the lower rpms its using less gas idling lower.