Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Finally got 28 MPG

Old 07-25-2007, 05:44 AM   #1
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Finally got 28 MPG

WooHoo!!!

Anybody that has read my posts on here knows that I have been a bit disappointed in my PreRunner's fuel economy (2.7L 5 speed manual). I finally reached the EPA estimated 28 MPG.

The only performance modifications that I have are an AFE drop-in High Flow Filter, and I removed the Secondary Air Filter (see my signature). Both of these mods were done in the last week. I am running my Dunlop AT20s at 39 psi all the way around. I run 89 octane with no ethanol and no other additives (aside from what comes with it). I get my fuel where ever it is the cheapest. I had nothing in the truck but me, a bottle of water, and a laptop.

The truck has 19,000 miles on it since I bought it in January 07.

The drive was between San Antonio and Giddings, TX. I was following my boss in his 06' Tundra DoubleCab Texas Edition. He loves to punch it, but he doesn't go over 75 MPH. I actually didn't have a problem keeping up with him when he punched it (which supprised me). The rest of it was just a cruise.

I had gotten 26 MPG out of the truck after the mods, but that was pushing it up to 80+MPH. The best I had seen before the mods was 25 MPG, and that was rare since I push my truck pretty hard.

I don't think these mods will have the same affect on the 4.0L V6, but I was impressed with the difference on the 2.7L.

Old 07-25-2007, 05:58 AM   #2
coreyredken is on a distinguished road

coreyredken's Tacoma Gallery
Woohoo! I'm proud of your truck! For finally coming through! Awesome!
Old 07-25-2007, 07:15 AM   #3
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
Congrats man, I am jealous though.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:31 AM   #4
Mudbug is on a distinguished road

Mudbug's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm....Well if you got 25 before mods....I got 25 before mods. Maybe just maybe I can get 28 if I get a cold air intake. Just started a new job....but once I start making some money i'll have to buy one and find out hehe.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:36 AM   #5
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudbug View Post
Hmm....Well if you got 25 before mods....I got 25 before mods. Maybe just maybe I can get 28 if I get a cold air intake. Just started a new job....but once I start making some money i'll have to buy one and find out hehe.
I dunno. I hear different things about the CAIs on a 2.7L...

I have been told that they really don't do that much more over a drop-in unless you are boosted. That is why I didn't spend the money on one. I figured I could get the economy without the hefty price.

I am looking at the possibility of doing a URD MAF Calibrator to tweak my Air-Fuel ratio. I just have to find the money first.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:39 AM   #6
Mudbug is on a distinguished road

Mudbug's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Tacoma View Post
I dunno. I hear different things about the CAIs on a 2.7L...

I have been told that they really don't do that much more over a drop-in unless you are boosted. That is why I didn't spend the money on one. I figured I could get the economy without the hefty price.

I am looking at the possibility of doing a URD MAF Calibrator to tweak my Air-Fuel ratio. I just have to find the money first.

Well it obviously helped yours....
The MAF calibrator goes both ways haha. If you use your lead foot it'll make it worse lol.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:01 AM   #7
I dub thee malicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudbug View Post
Well it obviously helped yours....
The MAF calibrator goes both ways haha. If you use your lead foot it'll make it worse lol.
Yeah, that is what I am afraid of.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:18 AM   #8
surfponto is on a distinguished road
surfponto's Tacoma Gallery
Wow I am seriously impressed!!!
Wonder how much these mods would improve our 4x4 with the 2.7 liter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Tacoma View Post
WooHoo!!!

Anybody that has read my posts on here knows that I have been a bit disappointed in my PreRunner's fuel economy (2.7L 5 speed manual). I finally reached the EPA estimated 28 MPG.

The only performance modifications that I have are an AFE drop-in High Flow Filter, and I removed the Secondary Air Filter (see my signature). Both of these mods were done in the last week. I am running my Dunlop AT20s at 39 psi all the way around. I run 89 octane with no ethanol and no other additives (aside from what comes with it). I get my fuel where ever it is the cheapest. I had nothing in the truck but me, a bottle of water, and a laptop.

The truck has 19,000 miles on it since I bought it in January 07.

The drive was between San Antonio and Giddings, TX. I was following my boss in his 06' Tundra DoubleCab Texas Edition. He loves to punch it, but he doesn't go over 75 MPH. I actually didn't have a problem keeping up with him when he punched it (which supprised me). The rest of it was just a cruise.

I had gotten 26 MPG out of the truck after the mods, but that was pushing it up to 80+MPH. The best I had seen before the mods was 25 MPG, and that was rare since I push my truck pretty hard.

I don't think these mods will have the same affect on the 4.0L V6, but I was impressed with the difference on the 2.7L.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:35 AM   #9
I dub thee malicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfponto View Post
Wow I am seriously impressed!!!
Wonder how much these mods would improve our 4x4 with the 2.7 liter?
Probably can't hurt too much...