1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How long to run a new engine stock before modding??

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by troy28, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Jun 9, 2012 at 1:58 PM
    troy28

troy28 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Capitol of Salty Roads
    Need help
    I attempted to use the search but did not seem to find my answer. I am also a noob so there is a good chance of a O.E. problem.

I am getting a new Tacoma and looking to upgrade the intake and exhaust. Should I drive the engine stock for "?" miles before making any changes or am I fine to go ahead and just start modding it?

Thank you for the help!

2. Jun 9, 2012 at 2:02 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    What sort of mods?

And I can see no reason why you would want to wait until X amount of mileage to mod to begin with.

3. Jun 9, 2012 at 2:09 PM
    bubbagumps

bubbagumps Well-Known Member

Member:
    I would suggest driving it for a while before you decide what to mod. Not because you can't mod a new engine, you just will get a better idea of what you really want as opposed to what you think you want now without haven even driven the vehicle.

4. Jun 9, 2012 at 2:59 PM
    Rackster

Rackster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    '04 E/cab 4x4 2.7 Auto SR5
    If it's New, you probably don't want to do any mod's that would void your warranty. Be sure you do you research or you could get stuck holding the bill!

I'm with Bubba - do the research and consider/reconsider your options. Many mod's out there are superficial. Find data about the mod you want to do (if you can because for some items, it does not exist) and do what you are doing - ask the members here. Without the data you can atleast get input from the members here to give you qualitative input that might help you decide.

Intake - which one? Air??
    Exhuast - are you looking for performance or sound?

Good luck!

5. Jun 9, 2012 at 3:22 PM
    Bloodhound

Bloodhound Banned from the Pics Thread

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    East Moline, IL
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD O/R DBL-CAB
    Floor-mats, Running Boards, Shorty Antenna, AFE Pro Dry Air Filter, AVS In-Channel VentVisors, Beer cans in the bed
    Nearest I have read is that the engine is broken in before it leaves the factory to seat everything in.

Depending upon what you wanna do, budget allowing, and that kind of stuff I would say mod away...just be prepared for a let-down if you are expecting to make serious gains without paying (dearly) for them. Best bang per buck I've read about is just to add a supercharger...but then you need to run premium all the time.

6. Jun 9, 2012 at 3:33 PM
    400lbGorilla

400lbGorilla ^Son of a hamster, I smell of elderberries.

Member:
    First Name:
    T-LAM
    Ocean City, MD
    Vehicle:
    BSP 4X4 BASE
    Roof Rack, TRD exhaust, Hood Shield, Side Steps, 5% Tints, Tow Package, Bed Extender, Billies at 2.5, Toytec TSB AAL, Avid Offroad Bar, Cruise Control, Removed Sway, Hella 700s, 6000k HIDs, diff breather mod. DTRL, BHLM,Sockmonkyed.
    Do some research on here man, there's tons of threads on both. These trucks aren't like little Honda's...you won't really squeeze tons of power or better MPG's outta the truck by changing either. But, like others have said, drive it around for a bit, a few oil changes later and some research on here so you can get a good idea for what you wanna do. My truck had the TRD exhaust installed at the dealership the day I bought it...so I couldn't see mileage on the engine making any difference to performance or longevity.

7. Jun 11, 2012 at 2:01 PM
    Speed Freek

Speed Freek Tacoma Whisperer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vista, Ca, Lake Havasu, Az.
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma V8 (LS1) swap
    LS1-T56 swap, Z06 ported heads, cam, Titanium valves, Kevlar clutch. Now building a forged stroker (383) and all the ponies! Old setup was rod-knockin on heaven's door...
    IMO its funny how people talk about putting on an SC and the downside is you need to run premium fuel all the time, Jeez its only 20c per gallon, if you can afford the SC and the fueling mods the extra pennies for fuel is trivial, lol..

But to the OP the ONLY real gain on power is the SC or just let it be...

Products Discussed in

To Top