Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

How long to run a new engine stock before modding??

Old 06-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #1
troy28 is on a distinguished road
troy28's Tacoma Gallery
How long to run a new engine stock before modding??

I attempted to use the search but did not seem to find my answer. I am also a noob so there is a good chance of a O.E. problem.

I am getting a new Tacoma and looking to upgrade the intake and exhaust. Should I drive the engine stock for "?" miles before making any changes or am I fine to go ahead and just start modding it?

Thank you for the help!
Old 06-09-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
What sort of mods?

And I can see no reason why you would want to wait until X amount of mileage to mod to begin with.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
bubbagumps is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubbagumps is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubbagumps is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubbagumps is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubbagumps is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubbagumps is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubbagumps is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubbagumps is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubbagumps is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubbagumps is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubbagumps is one of the sharper tools in the shed
bubbagumps's Tacoma Gallery
I would suggest driving it for a while before you decide what to mod. Not because you can't mod a new engine, you just will get a better idea of what you really want as opposed to what you think you want now without haven even driven the vehicle.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:59 PM   #4
Rackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to behold
Name: Kevin
Rackster's Tacoma Gallery
New or new Used?

If it's New, you probably don't want to do any mod's that would void your warranty. Be sure you do you research or you could get stuck holding the bill!

I'm with Bubba - do the research and consider/reconsider your options. Many mod's out there are superficial. Find data about the mod you want to do (if you can because for some items, it does not exist) and do what you are doing - ask the members here. Without the data you can atleast get input from the members here to give you qualitative input that might help you decide.

Intake - which one? Air??
Exhuast - are you looking for performance or sound?

Good luck!
Old 06-09-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
Space For Rent
Bloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: EN3 (SW/AW) 94-98
Name: Greg
Bloodhound's Tacoma Gallery
Nearest I have read is that the engine is broken in before it leaves the factory to seat everything in.

Depending upon what you wanna do, budget allowing, and that kind of stuff I would say mod away...just be prepared for a let-down if you are expecting to make serious gains without paying (dearly) for them. Best bang per buck I've read about is just to add a supercharger...but then you need to run premium all the time.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:33 PM   #6
^Son of a hamster, I smell of elderberries.
400lbGorilla is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: OS
Name: T-LAM
400lbGorilla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy28 View Post
I attempted to use the search but did not seem to find my answer. I am also a noob so there is a good chance of a O.E. problem.

I am getting a new Tacoma and looking to upgrade the intake and exhaust. Should I drive the engine stock for "?" miles before making any changes or am I fine to go ahead and just start modding it?

Thank you for the help!
Do some research on here man, there's tons of threads on both. These trucks aren't like little Honda's...you won't really squeeze tons of power or better MPG's outta the truck by changing either. But, like others have said, drive it around for a bit, a few oil changes later and some research on here so you can get a good idea for what you wanna do. My truck had the TRD exhaust installed at the dealership the day I bought it...so I couldn't see mileage on the engine making any difference to performance or longevity.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:01 PM   #7
Turbo Meister
Speed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Speed Freek's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodhound View Post
Nearest I have read is that the engine is broken in before it leaves the factory to seat everything in.

Depending upon what you wanna do, budget allowing, and that kind of stuff I would say mod away...just be prepared for a let-down if you are expecting to make serious gains without paying (dearly) for them. Best bang per buck I've read about is just to add a supercharger...but then you need to run premium all the time.
IMO its funny how people talk about putting on an SC and the downside is you need to run premium fuel all the time, Jeez its only 20c per gallon, if you can afford the SC and the fueling mods the extra pennies for fuel is trivial, lol..

But to the OP the ONLY real gain on power is the SC or just let it be...