LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

building a smog legal 3.4

Old 06-09-2012, 11:56 PM   #1
ratboy85 is on a distinguished road

ratboy85's Tacoma Gallery
building a smog legal 3.4

ok so my taco is a couple hundred short of 203k. been thinking of this for awhile now so here it goes.
looking into buying a spare 3.4 and building me a smog legal hot rod motor. im just curious has anyone ever built a naturally aspirated 3.4 that makes any kinda hp? its not for racing but i need reliability out of it as well.
i have found rotating assembly's that are .40 overbore with will give it a couple more c.i. thinking maybe with some decent head work and some intake help it should make some decent power gains.

has anyone ever built one thats still smog legal?
Old 06-10-2012, 12:28 AM   #3
ratboy85 is on a distinguished road

ratboy85's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco me elmo View Post
Just TRD supercharge it. it's smog legal.
yea i agree the S/C is the best power gains for the buck, what i was getting at is cams and what not that might compliment the S/C when i out the motor together.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #4
03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold
Name: Bill
03f5sp's Tacoma Gallery
Supercharger is too cliche. I would do the overbore, aggressive cams, headwork, full 3" exhaust with headers, etc
Old 06-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #5
03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold
Name: Bill
03f5sp's Tacoma Gallery
Supercharger is too cliche. I would do the overbore, aggressive cams, headwork, full 3" exhaust with headers, etc
Old 06-11-2012, 12:19 PM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I think cams would have to be custom and boring out is difficult. A guy on here was/is selling a set of rare high flow heads. A blower is the best bang for your buck though. Remember that these are 6 cylinder engines with little aftermarket support as far as internals go.

Edit: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...?highlight=5vz
Old 06-11-2012, 01:55 PM   #7
Turbo Meister
Speed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Speed Freek's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratboy85 View Post
ok so my taco is a couple hundred short of 203k. been thinking of this for awhile now so here it goes.
looking into buying a spare 3.4 and building me a smog legal hot rod motor. im just curious has anyone ever built a naturally aspirated 3.4 that makes any kinda hp? its not for racing but i need reliability out of it as well.
i have found rotating assembly's that are .40 overbore with will give it a couple more c.i. thinking maybe with some decent head work and some intake help it should make some decent power gains.

has anyone ever built one thats still smog legal?
Bad idea, are you willing to throw thousands of dollars at it to get less than 50hp?

Stock compression, stock cams, custom intake headers and exhaust, + maybe bore it into a 3.5 or 3.6. not even close to worth the hassle.

The only way to make power from an NA motor is better flow + higher compression + race fuel = off road only

Supercharge it (with fuel mods) or leave it alone. Trust me on this one, i know a lot about these motors.

I can turbo a 2.4 2RZ motor and get more horsepower than that 3.4 is capable of on its best day even if has forced induction..

Send me the money you were going to throe at your truck and I will send you a Tornado intake thingy for more POWA!!