Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Doug Thorley Short Tube Header DYNO!

Old 06-13-2012, 12:21 PM   #1
TacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gus
TacomaGus's Tacoma Gallery
Doug Thorley Short Tube Header DYNO!

Finally found a dyno for the 1GR with the short tube headers over on XRU. FJ Cruiser with stock intake and exhaust, just headers. Looks like a +10-20 Ft/Lbs torque gain from 2300-3300 RPM which would be very useable. Def made up my mind on the short headers despite the hassle of welding, hopefully this will help others' decisions on headers easier as well since the long tubes are so popular, yet they may not be the best for some applications/driving.

Of course they drop off significantly in the higher end, but then thats what the Long Tubes are for...
Old 06-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #3
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Good find. What I had done on my girlfriend's 1GR, with her JBA shorties, was to have v-band flanges welded onto the cats. Between the header and the cat. That way, it opens up a lot of flexibility with her exhaust.

The cats we used were spun high flow cats from Magnaflow. Having the flanges on them means that we can swap out her cats with new, if/when they go bad. Also, it means that we can swap out the cats for "test pipes" to be able to reduce the restriction, and pick up a little more top end.

Just haven't gotten around to making the test pipes yet.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:22 PM   #5
TacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

very interesting idea. glad i found that graph tho cuz it finally made me settle on the short headers. Now i can get those, and the URD maf cal for the price of the long tubes (with O2 sims). Of course I'll have to get the headers welded in but it's fine since i'll be able to order the headers and maf cal at the same time now all thanks to XRU haha
Old 06-14-2012, 06:21 AM   #6
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely thanks for posting the find. I've passed on the DTLT GBs twice now as I don't want to lose any low-end, and haven't found any data on the DTST.

Looking at the graph though, it's a bit of a concern that the ST TQ line is so lumpy.... Just adds some questions as to the viability of this pull, or the actual gains through that range.

Good to see some gains starting in the low 2k range, but since the graph only starts at 2.2K, and it appears that the slope would take the ST TQ line below the stock TQ line, I still have some concerns about the affect on low-end.

Thanks again for finding and posting, still good info!
Old 06-14-2012, 06:31 AM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting... The second graph still shows stock being better up to 2,500 RPM. I think I'll stay stock
Old 06-14-2012, 07:18 AM   #8
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Interesting... The second graph still shows stock being better up to 2,500 RPM. I think I'll stay stock
I think the second graph was the LTs...
Old 06-14-2012, 07:28 AM   #9
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkin View Post
I think the second graph was the LTs...
Ooh... missed the text between the 2 graphs, I thought it was just a more cleaned up version with the short tubes.

I retract my previous statement, seems like the short tubes are the way to go unless you spend a lot of time on the upper end of the rev range. They look promising for commuting and towing.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkin View Post
Definitely thanks for posting the find. I've passed on the DTLT GBs twice now as I don't want to lose any low-end, and haven't found any data on the DTST.

Looking at the graph though, it's a bit of a concern that the ST TQ line is so lumpy.... Just adds some questions as to the viability of this pull, or the actual gains through that range.

Good to see some gains starting in the low 2k range, but since the graph only starts at 2.2K, and it appears that the slope would take the ST TQ line below the stock TQ line, I still have some concerns about the affect on low-end.

Thanks again for finding and posting, still good info!
ya i was thinking this too, but the graph does seem to agree with the notion of more low end power gain with the ST. And say you did lose a little below 2k rpm, who cares haha, its not like your really every driving around under 2k rpm for an extended period of time. Atleast I'm not with the 6 speed and I usually even shift early to conserve gas (usually shift around 2500 rpm)
Old 06-14-2012, 02:27 PM   #11
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
When asked, I tell people that the shorties are the best for performance.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:41 PM   #12
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Sweet. I always wanted a set but never got around to it.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:00 AM   #13
THIS IS AMERICA!!!
Cortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cortland
Cortland's Tacoma Gallery
subbed
Old 06-17-2012, 05:42 PM   #14
Lightningtodd is one of the sharper tools in the shedLightningtodd is one of the sharper tools in the shedLightningtodd is one of the sharper tools in the shedLightningtodd is one of the sharper tools in the shedLightningtodd is one of the sharper tools in the shedLightningtodd is one of the sharper tools in the shedLightningtodd is one of the sharper tools in the shedLightningtodd is one of the sharper tools in the shedLightningtodd is one of the sharper tools in the shedLightningtodd is one of the sharper tools in the shedLightningtodd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Todd
Lightningtodd's Tacoma Gallery
Good find. I have been considering the short tubes for a while now, but it seems like nobody has commented much on them. Having the short tubes welded in seems like such a better route to go rather than deleting cats and going with the long tubes. Can't decide if I want to do this mod next or a new grille.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunknsloth View Post
How much would it cost to have a shop weld the cats onto the shortys?
i've heard anywhere between $250-400 depending on location
Old 06-19-2012, 11:19 PM   #17
kikiadv is on a distinguished road
kikiadv's Tacoma Gallery
what is the catalog/part number for the short ones? i saw the long ones for 2012 4.0L are THY-515-LS-C.
also does this give you more or less MPG's? I would think more since the truck is breathing better.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:01 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiadv View Post
what is the catalog/part number for the short ones? i saw the long ones for 2012 4.0L are THY-515-LS-C.
also does this give you more or less MPG's? I would think more since the truck is breathing better.
not sure on mpg but i doubt there's much change. it says on URD's website that they do not fit the 2012 tacomas. I'd call gadget to get a better idea of what will work or the time frame for the 2012 header release
Old 06-20-2012, 08:11 AM   #19
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
There won't be any noticeable MPG changes
Old 06-20-2012, 08:13 AM   #20
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Nice! I felt an increase in the top end thanks to my Long Tubes. Too bad I put them on the same time as my lift and big ass tires so I never got to feel the increase on a stock truck's performance.