Old 06-18-2012, 04:36 AM   #1
Tacoma FireMedic
muddymedic is on a distinguished road

Firefighter: Firefighter Paramedic NAS Oceana
Name: David
muddymedic's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to muddymedic
Adding MPG's ?

I'd like to pose a question and I'm wondering since we have such a diverse and long lived group with years and years of experience has anyone done mods for mpg gain??? I'm thinking a cold air intake with a aftermarket chip will give me about 8 more mpg but I want to take it further. Has anyone tried a propane mod? How about a hydrogen fuel cell? They are both relatively simple to buy or build but what do u think I'd be looking at as far as gain? Has anyone tried it??????
Old 06-18-2012, 06:36 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
You won't get 8 MPG from a CAI and a chip. If you see any gains from the CAI, they will be slight. Figure if you buy a $300+ CAI and gain maybe 1 MPG, the payoff isn't there. Best mod you can do is change your driving habits. A Scangauge or an Ultragauge can help you with that.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:51 AM   #3
KeithB has a brilliant futureKeithB has a brilliant futureKeithB has a brilliant futureKeithB has a brilliant futureKeithB has a brilliant futureKeithB has a brilliant futureKeithB has a brilliant futureKeithB has a brilliant futureKeithB has a brilliant futureKeithB has a brilliant futureKeithB has a brilliant future

Name: Keith
KeithB's Tacoma Gallery
Free mod that has gained me 4mpg. Accelerate very slowly like there is an egg on your gas pedal that you do not want to break and keep it to 55mph on the highway. Also, keep your distance from cars in front of you. I found I was constantly breaking and having to accelerate again after someone in front of me wanted to turn. Went from 16 to 20mpg with 33's and 3" lift. Getting close to 400 miles per tank, well not quite. Closest I ever got was 380.

For my 20 miles commute - reducing from 75mph to 55mph only cost me 5-6 minutes giving me another 75 miles to a tank or another 2 days of commutes.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:38 AM   #4
KaeserTRD is on a distinguished road

Name: Kyle
KaeserTRD's Tacoma Gallery
An electric fan fit may get you 1-2 mpg. But they are over $300 so you will probably not see any payoff.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:47 AM   #5
seymour butts
xgalvanxgx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxgalvanxgx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxgalvanxgx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxgalvanxgx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxgalvanxgx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxgalvanxgx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxgalvanxgx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxgalvanxgx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxgalvanxgx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxgalvanxgx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxgalvanxgx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gerardo
xgalvanxgx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithB View Post
Free mod that has gained me 4mpg. Accelerate very slowly like there is an egg on your gas pedal that you do not want to break and keep it to 55mph on the highway. Also, keep your distance from cars in front of you. I found I was constantly breaking and having to accelerate again after someone in front of me wanted to turn. Went from 16 to 20mpg with 33's and 3" lift. Getting close to 400 miles per tank, well not quite. Closest I ever got was 380.

For my 20 miles commute - reducing from 75mph to 55mph only cost me 5-6 minutes giving me another 75 miles to a tank or another 2 days of commutes.
X2!
Old 06-19-2012, 09:58 AM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaeserTRD View Post
An electric fan fit may get you 1-2 mpg. But they are over $300 so you will probably not see any payoff.
Doubtful since you essentially just move the load from the water pump to the alternator.

OP - nothing will help MPGs except for your driving habits. The other option is:

Old 06-19-2012, 10:56 AM   #7
KaeserTRD is on a distinguished road

Name: Kyle
KaeserTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Your alternator is always spinning and creating a charge. There is no clutch on a alternator so that means there is no way to vary the load it adds to the engine. Adding electrical components to a car will not add more load to your alternator, its the same all of the time.

Here is a good site for gas mileage helpers.... The electric fan is listed on there as well.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/buyers-gu...e-gas-mpg.aspx
Old 06-19-2012, 11:04 AM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaeserTRD View Post
Your alternator is always spinning and creating a charge. There is no clutch on a alternator so that means there is no way to vary the load it adds to the engine. Adding electrical components to a car will not add more load to your alternator, its the same all of the time.

Here is a good site for gas mileage helpers.... The electric fan is listed on there as well.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/buyers-gu...e-gas-mpg.aspx
Bahahahaha. You quoted 4WP. Yeah they are experts on everything.

Alternator load does change depending on electrical load. Ever see a genset load tested? The load comes from the generator and is varied. A generator and an alternator are pretty much the same thing.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:05 AM   #9
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rod
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Alt is always spinning yes, but the load on the engine is not constant, it varies based on the electrical load required.

On the electric fan, you can take the word of some website that throws generalities around in order to generate sales, or you can listen to those who have installed an electric fan on this truck and have seen no noticable gain or loss,,, just a quieter startup, your call.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:18 AM   #10
stowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
stowayman's Tacoma Gallery
4X4 trucks are not meant to be commuters. I'm impressed with the overall mpg 18-20 I get with a very capable off road vehicle...buy a TDI VW to commute in if you need better mileage
Old 06-19-2012, 12:49 PM   #11
spins615 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspins615 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspins615 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspins615 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspins615 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspins615 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspins615 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspins615 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspins615 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspins615 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspins615 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
spins615's Tacoma Gallery
i drive roughly 600 miles a week..all highway. 300 a trip and ive ranged anywhere from 16.5 to 20.4. I noticed that i get better gas mileage when i dont use the cruise control..seems the truck cant make up its mind on hills what gear it wants to be in and constantly changes gear and ramping up the RPM's...kinda wish i still had a manual..but either way. i noticed a change in 1-2 miles after i put a new air filter in and a magnaflow exhaust.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:49 PM   #12
ManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ManMan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddymedic View Post
How about a hydrogen fuel cell? They are both relatively simple to buy or build but what do u think I'd be looking at as far as gain? Has anyone tried it??????
You should DEFINITELY build a hydrogen fuel cell!!!!

Let us know how that works out for ya