1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best gas for clean long lasting engine

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by tacomas28, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Jun 18, 2012 at 5:12 PM
    tacomas28

tacomas28 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 trd sport
    Simple what gas is the best for a Tacoma depending on octane brand if that matters such as shell nitrogen enriched what will make my tacoma run the longest

2. Jun 18, 2012 at 5:33 PM
    misterdmac

misterdmac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doostin
    In or around the truck
    Vehicle:
    '97 2.7L DLX
    My best uneducated guess is that all those "v-power" and "nitrogen enriched" and boost blah blah are all pretty much gimmicks, and that there are way more gas station franchises than refining companies that distribute gas. Meaning the filling stations get it off the same trucks.

Is it honestly practical for you to get the same gas all the time? I would say as long as the 87 you're putting in is fresh you're gonna be just fine.

Worry more about changing your oil and air filter on time. Get all your scheduled maintenance and a Toyota will be as reliable and long-lived as they come.

3. Jun 18, 2012 at 5:34 PM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    ethanol free.

4. Jun 18, 2012 at 5:35 PM
    krimson

krimson Nothin

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    OME 3" lift with 885 coils. OME Shocks with TSB 1.5 AAL. 285/75/16 KM2s. XD Hoss 16" wheels. DDM Tuning 6000K HIDs, H10 6000K Fogs. BHLM. Debaged. 20% tint on front windows.
    I always get gas at Shell.

5. Jun 18, 2012 at 5:38 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    The atmosphere is 78 percent nitrogen so you are getting plenty of this inert gas through your air intake. It will happily mix with your fuel in the combustion chamber. No need to pick it up at Shell. Unless you want to help them pay their marketing bill.

6. Jun 18, 2012 at 5:38 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    True. Wish I could get it.

7. Jun 18, 2012 at 10:14 PM
    Schwinn

Schwinn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Georgina, ON
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport with Trail Teams package
    Watched a news magazine show that had a segment on gas once, and they said that the gas was all the same, then showed several different gas tanks with different names all filling up from the same filling station. Not sure what to think, but I haven't noticed a difference between different stations...

EXCEPT when it comes to independents. I used to pass one every day on my way to my old office that was always at least .03/L cheaper than everywhere else. So, I stopped and filled my Mustang (with premium,no less, as I had reprogrammed it). After the third or fourth tank, I started getting run on. It got so bad, that one day I shut the car off, and had was actually out the door before it finally stopped. At first, I thought there was something wrong with the car, and then decided to try a different station first. It took about 4 or 5 tanks, but finally it went back to normal.

Most times gas trucks do not empty their tanks completely, because all the crap, sludge and water settles at the bottom. What some stations will do is buy the crappy bottom of the tank gas at a discount, and then sell it for cheaper than everyone else. Some cars it bothers, some it doesn't, depending on a few factors. Me? I just don't take the chance any more. I tend to avoid the independents now, just for my own piece of mind.

Products Discussed in

To Top