Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Tranny issues? Possibly slipping...

Old 06-18-2012, 11:10 PM   #1
YotaGirl84 is on a distinguished road
Name: Becca
YotaGirl84's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy Tranny issues? Possibly slipping...

I just had the 130k mile service done on my Tacoma at the dealership and now its running like total garbage. My tranny is shifting horribly...almost feels like its slipping and feels way under-powered. It feels like it is struggling every time I accelerate and doesn't want to give any power even just accelerating normally from a light. Also, when I get close to 80 my whole truck starts shaking (I just had my tires rotated and balance and had all the weights checked so that isn't the issue) and I am getting insanely bad gas mileage now because it feels like my truck is always struggling for power. I debating getting rid of it at this point for a new one but I LOVE my truck and would love to keep it...even more so that I just made my last payment! Idk if i should take it back to the dealership or have another shop take a look at it. I didn't have the best experience at the dealership since I walk in and they assume "oh shes just a girl she doesn't know anything" and tried to jerk me around. I've worked on a lot of trucks and UTV's but havent really messed around with a Taco yet so ANY HELP anyone could give me would be amazing...would love nothing more than to keep my truck...and dump my car payment money into finally prerunnin it! If anyone has any recommendations or what to do or a shop to take it to I would really appreciate it!!
Old 06-19-2012, 07:30 AM   #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaholandho View Post
Check the fluid before you drive it any farther. Did they flush or drain and refill?
Thanks so much for the reply. I'll check the fluid today; they did a flush the tranny in the service.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:04 AM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
A flush will only cause more issues when there is already damage. I would take it back and have them look at it.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:03 AM   #4
Resident SUV racer
Lucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Lucario Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like this is more of an engine problem. If you floor it and when the trans changes gears (in D) does it hit the rev limiter? if so that is a classic case of a blown clutch and shows when it slips. Does it whine or make weird noises? FYI I had my trans flushed at 90,000 and holds fine if not better. What about the engine? did you do anything recently?
Old 06-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #5
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like it wasn't filled correctly. I had mine done and the tranny slipped and revved really high and lacked power exactly as you're describing. I got it taken back and done correctly. Never an issue after that. (I also stopped attempting my oil changes through the transmission as well.)
Old 06-19-2012, 10:07 AM   #6
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
LOL, sounds like they forgot to plug a spark plug back in.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:11 AM   #7
Quote:
Some auto guys will never flush because it is said that it forces the gunk to clog the valve body passages and lube lines. They will just drain and refill.
The # of miles is also debatable - the manual is full of shit as we should be changing the fluid 30-50k miles.
Did they check the fluid color or drop the pan to inspect before the flush?
The service I paid a ton for said tranny flush so I can only assume that's what was done. My truck has always been well maintained and the tranny has been drained and refilled before. The flush was just what was done in the big service. And It was done at the dealership so idk what they did before they serviced it...this is why I hate not knowin how to work on my truck myself, have a very hard time trusting dealerships.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #8
Thanks for the responses everyone! As much as I don't want to take it back there think ill be makin a trip to the dealership to chew someone's ass and make them fix my truck!
Old 06-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #9
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
I see a hint or two as to why, but you ned to take this back to the dealer and have them look into it. If it's running ok prior, and drives out driving like sh%^, then they need to pony up and fix it.

How long has it been since they worked on it? As for what it is, already been touched on by others, but the fluid level should be checked first, then if that's not it, it might be the flush actually gumming up the tranny by blowing back dirt, grime, sediment, etc. back into the valve body and/or clutches.

Edit: whoops, you posted while I was composing (composting...) my response...
Old 06-19-2012, 10:20 AM   #10
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
LOL, sounds like they forgot to plug a spark plug back in.

Pretty sure that'd throw a CEL wouldn't it?
Old 06-19-2012, 10:24 AM   #11
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
Pretty sure that'd throw a CEL wouldn't it?
Yep
Old 06-19-2012, 10:24 AM   #12
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
05RedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
Sounds like it wasn't filled correctly. I had mine done and the tranny slipped and revved really high and lacked power exactly as you're describing. I got it taken back and done correctly. Never an issue after that. (I also stopped attempting my oil changes through the transmission as well.)
Maybe the pulled the wrong plug and flushed the engine instead?
Old 06-19-2012, 10:29 AM   #13
Resident Jackass

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Yep

Not bad for 4 hours sleep a transfer and a partial code last night!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05RedTaco View Post
Maybe the pulled the wrong plug and flushed the engine instead?
Oh good god. That'd be even dumber than what I did. Specially since I'm not a same brand dealership.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:44 AM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkin View Post
I see a hint or two as to why, but you ned to take this back to the dealer and have them look into it. If it's running ok prior, and drives out driving like sh%^, then they need to pony up and fix it.

How long has it been since they worked on it? As for what it is, already been touched on by others, but the fluid level should be checked first, then if that's not it, it might be the flush actually gumming up the tranny by blowing back dirt, grime, sediment, etc. back into the valve body and/or clutches.

Edit: whoops, you posted while I was composing (composting...) my response...
I'll be honest it's been a few weeks since I had it done, I've just been stupid busy and was supposed to have a friend take a look at it but he kept flakin out. So as of now noone has touched it other than the dealership. Ok so worst case scenario and the flush did gummy up the tranny...how bad am I lookin here?
Old 06-19-2012, 10:53 AM   #15
Cool

Quote:
like a strip club on a tuesday...not so good
Bahaha...Sunday's are pretty bad too! thanks for at least givin me a laugh in this whole scenario! I know it's prob pretty bad...just tryin to avoid that conclusion... Anyone know how much a tranny costs for a Taco?
Old 06-19-2012, 10:54 AM   #16

Marines:
About $4k
Old 06-19-2012, 10:55 AM   #17
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaGirl84 View Post
I'll be honest it's been a few weeks since I had it done, I've just been stupid busy and was supposed to have a friend take a look at it but he kept flakin out. So as of now noone has touched it other than the dealership. Ok so worst case scenario and the flush did gummy up the tranny...how bad am I lookin here?
Depends , how's that for non-commital? If it's the valve body that's gummed up, it could be removed, cleaned out and replace without a huge cost (relative huge anyway). If it goes beyond that I would think you'd be into disassembling and cleaning the clutch packs and assorted valving/passages. That would be a huge cost, might be time to consider a re-built/re-man'd tranny at that point.

This is worst case though, in my mind anyway. I'd still bet that the fluid level is low considering that you've said that you keep up with the maint. and that drain and fills have been done on schedule in the past.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:06 AM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkin View Post
Depends , how's that for non-commital? If it's the valve body that's gummed up, it could be removed, cleaned out and replace without a huge cost (relative huge anyway). If it goes beyond that I would think you'd be into disassembling and cleaning the clutch packs and assorted valving/passages. That would be a huge cost, might be time to consider a re-built/re-man'd tranny at that point.

This is worst case though, in my mind anyway. I'd still bet that the fluid level is low considering that you've said that you keep up with the maint. and that drain and fills have been done on schedule in the past.
Thanks for the advice. I'm def hoping for not worse case scenario but with stuff like this always have to keep it realistic. Would you recommend taking it to the same dealer or another to have it checked out?
Old 06-19-2012, 11:22 AM   #19
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaGirl84 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I'm def hoping for not worse case scenario but with stuff like this always have to keep it realistic. Would you recommend taking it to the same dealer or another to have it checked out?
You're definitely on the right track. An educated buyer is a salesman's worst nightmare . That way you BUY what you need, and are not SOLD something you're not. I understand where you're at as everytime my wife goes into a dealer/mechanic I swear that there is a neon SUCKER sign flashing on her forehead. They go after her like sharks and I then get to unravel it.

Personally I would take it back to the offending dealer/mechanic and make them make it right on their $$$, but that's your call. A fluid level check should be able to be done at most shops, but you'll have to pay again, and you also need to ensure that they know how to check the fluid level on your Tacoma since it's not just a dipstick check.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:27 AM   #20
Quote:
It sure cant hurt to take it to the same dealer(or call first) as there will be no commitment it would be good to hear what they have to say and at least have them check the fluid and give you their reasoning why the tranny is slipping(if thats the case). I would like to think they may try and help but if anything it will give you a chance to tell them to fuck off when they start treating you like an idiot like they do all of us.
GL.
I think you are definitely right! My truck ran amazing before I took it in for this service so I definitely think they owe me an explanatio...or I owe them a not very "lady-like" word or two from my mouth. They used to be an awesome dealership service wise...it's even where I bought my truck from but they got a new service manager who is a total prick. I'm gonna take it this weekend and hopefully have some luck...or at least at outcome I can work with.