Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Performance tune

Old 06-26-2012, 05:10 PM   #42
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
There is another thread for that whipper. Not going to clutter his thread with that. Besides. You don't have one on this truck, nor have you tested or have any first hand experience with it/them.
I had a TRD. It made a lot of noise and I felt a little bump at top end but that's it. It made more noise than it was worth so I sold it.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:41 PM   #43
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
In that case, I will rephrase my comment. The TRD style, and yes it does make noise, is bounds better than a K&N style. Due mainly to the fact of engine bay heat saturation of the K&N style since they are not in an enclosed container in the engine bay. The trd style is, and draws its air from the fender well.

It is less restrictive than factory in the simple fact, that its design is basically a smooth straight line. Compared to the factory one which has many turns and ripples throughout.

They won't hurt your MPG, and gains will be limited in MPG, when adding a good one. Still depends on how heavy the foot is as well as other factors.

The three I mentioned will give you a gain in HP and torque, proven by dynos, but nothing that will make a significant butt dyno feel, if you drive like Miss Daisy.

Increasing your tire pressure by 5 psi, will help, if yours is low. However, that will require some testing as well.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:25 AM   #44
Tarpon24 is on a distinguished road

Name: Frankie
Tarpon24's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
In that case, I will rephrase my comment. The TRD style, and yes it does make noise, is bounds better than a K&N style. Due mainly to the fact of engine bay heat saturation of the K&N style since they are not in an enclosed container in the engine bay. The trd style is, and draws its air from the fender well.

It is less restrictive than factory in the simple fact, that its design is basically a smooth straight line. Compared to the factory one which has many turns and ripples throughout.

They won't hurt your MPG, and gains will be limited in MPG, when adding a good one. Still depends on how heavy the foot is as well as other factors.

The three I mentioned will give you a gain in HP and torque, proven by dynos, but nothing that will make a significant butt dyno feel, if you drive like Miss Daisy.

Increasing your tire pressure by 5 psi, will help, if yours is Olow. However, that will require some testing as well.
I did buy the afe stage 2 with the dry filter looked like everyone liked it the best. An I increased my tire psi from 32 to 40 psi 2 days ago and I think that was the problem brought my mpg from 11 to 15. I just checked it when I filled up last night.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:42 AM   #45
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Good deal. Lots of people easily overlook the tire pressure. Mainly because they just forget about it. I have done it as well. Your rolling resistance increases significantly as your tires get wider. Even more compounded as the tire pressure goes lower.

I believe that it is an average of 1-2 MPG loss, per 5 psi decrease in pressure. Of course, that will also vary on tire width. Wider obviously having a greater affect than narrower, as well as tread patterns.

www.southwestresearch.com. They have data analysis for different size tires and pressures, if you feel inclined to look it up.

I am glad you found some MPG and performance.

Also, have you been accounting for the difference in you tire size, and it throwing your mileage off?
Old 06-27-2012, 04:14 PM   #46
Tarpon24 is on a distinguished road

Name: Frankie
Tarpon24's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Good deal. Lots of people easily overlook the tire pressure. Mainly because they just forget about it. I have done it as well. Your rolling resistance increases significantly as your tires get wider. Even more compounded as the tire pressure goes lower.

I believe that it is an average of 1-2 MPG loss, per 5 psi decrease in pressure. Of course, that will also vary on tire width. Wider obviously having a greater affect than narrower, as well as tread patterns.

www.southwestresearch.com. They have data analysis for different size tires and pressures, if you feel inclined to look it up.

I am glad you found some MPG and performance.

Also, have you been accounting for the difference in you tire size, and it throwing your mileage off?
Yea thank a bunch. I'm actually around 17 now pretty happy. And I didn't need the " Prius" mod.