Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

NOISE AT VARIOUS SPEEDS

Old 06-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #1
REPINS is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement: S.W.A.T.
REPINS's Tacoma Gallery
NOISE AT VARIOUS SPEEDS

NOISE PROBLEM....I have a 2012 crew cab 4x4. When driving at speeds of about 59mph i get a noise that sounds like someone is blowing across the top of a bottle, at 60 it goes away. Then at 85 it comes back so loud you have to let off the gas. It sounds like its coming from the front drivers side but not really sure. I thought is was a side window seal, but its not, I taped up the doors and checked. It gets worse if you let up off the gas. ANYONE know what it could be? I am only guessing but a bearing!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its going into shop as soon as I can get a day off to take it in. I only have 5 thousand miles on it.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #2
BassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Dan
BassMaster06's Tacoma Gallery
Not really sure, but check out this thread.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...on-thread.html

Others have reported a howling noise associated with this particular issue described in the linked thread, even with brand new trucks. I didn't have a howling noise so I don't know how to describe what it sounds like, but I could certainly feel a grinding/vibration in the front drivers side. I might be shooting in the dark here since your truck is brand new, but it might be worth reading thru this entire thread to see if you have similar symptoms. Not sure is the 2012's are experiencing this or not. The tell-tale sign is to engage your 4 wheel drive and see if the noise goes away. If so, continue to read thru the thread I linked for you. Good luck
Old 06-25-2012, 05:55 PM   #3
even11steven is on a distinguished road
even11steven's Tacoma Gallery
Me too

I have the same problem at 55-60 mph. Sounds like a whistle. Probably wind noise. If you figure it out. Let me know. It's been this way for me since the first mile. I now have 8000.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:21 PM   #4

REPINS's Tacoma Gallery
Cool

Thanks for the help guys. I love my tacoma but not with the noise and had to take a day off work so I could take my truck in to the toyota shop this morning. I just could not drive it with the noise anymore.
Toyota, who kept telling me noises are normal in trucks, now believe its not a normal noise after I drove them in it for 20 minutes at the speed which makes the noise. They are going to get back to me after doing their own research with other shops and corporate. I will advise what they come up with as soon as they tell me.

In the meantime since I took the day off, I did some research myself.
According to other Tacoma owners, the noise problem has been going on for 6 + years and can be two seperate problems. The first, the noise that sounds like its coming from the front windshield area, and the loudest most annoying noise you will ever hear. Apparently this can be fixed or drastically reduced by putting a 1/4 inch rubber hose through the center of the front hood seal above front grill. The other noise, which I describe as like a person blowing across a bottle is related to door seals on the truck and the fix is adjusting the door or replacing the seals. Again this is just what other tacoma owners have posted in other places not what the dealer mechanic has found.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:26 PM   #5
Casey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant future

Name: Casey
Casey05Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by REPINS View Post
Thanks for the help guys. I love my tacoma but not with the noise and had to take a day off work so I could take my truck in to the toyota shop this morning. I just could not drive it with the noise anymore.
Toyota, who kept telling me noises are normal in trucks, now believe its not a normal noise after I drove them in it for 20 minutes at the speed which makes the noise. They are going to get back to me after doing their own research with other shops and corporate. I will advise what they come up with as soon as they tell me.

In the meantime since I took the day off, I did some research myself.
According to other Tacoma owners, the noise problem has been going on for 6 + years and can be two seperate problems. The first, the noise that sounds like its coming from the front windshield area, and the loudest most annoying noise you will ever hear. Apparently this can be fixed or drastically reduced by putting a 1/4 inch rubber hose through the center of the front hood seal above front grill. The other noise, which I describe as like a person blowing across a bottle is related to door seals on the truck and the fix is adjusting the door or replacing the seals. Again this is just what other tacoma owners have posted in other places not what the dealer mechanic has found.
People have taken trucks in before and dealers will tell you its factory settings so they cant change a thing
Old 06-27-2012, 04:52 AM   #6

REPINS's Tacoma Gallery
I know of one women that has this same issue in florida.
She is using the ''LEMON LAW'' and in arbutration now.

This noise is not normal and just so you can hear it I have attached a link to a person that recorded it. http://youtu.be/iFEMNAm5ARM . This is the noise that sounds like its coming from your windshield.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:51 PM   #7

REPINS's Tacoma Gallery
noise prob update

The dealer finally called me back. According to the service Manager at My area Toyota, upper management is aware of the problem and are taking the following steps to try and fix the issue for me.They are going to replace my grill, the hood seals and my front windshield. Doing it all thurs,friday. I will advise if it works
Old 07-15-2012, 09:23 PM   #8
03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Navy Veteran
Name: Zach
03is300ztk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by REPINS View Post
The dealer finally called me back. According to the service Manager at My area Toyota, upper management is aware of the problem and are taking the following steps to try and fix the issue for me.They are going to replace my grill, the hood seals and my front windshield. Doing it all thurs,friday. I will advise if it works
Sad thing is there is actually a TSB on this, it involves finding and repairing the faulty windshield seal. So hopefully with a new windshield they will solve the issue.

Are they doing it all at once, or one at a time to determine what the problem is?