Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Brakes suck!!

Old 01-02-2009, 07:36 AM   #1
abnchief is on a distinguished road
Army:
abnchief's Tacoma Gallery
Brakes suck!!

I recently bought an 2009 DC TRD Offroad. This is my first Tacoma and I do love it but the brakes have a lot to be desired. I'm sure I'm not the first one to complain about it. How come Toyota doesn't make four wheel disk brakes for the Tacoma.

With that said, where can I find rear disk brakes for a Tacoma?
Old 01-02-2009, 07:41 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
There have been some rear disk conversions, and there was a kit, but it seems to have been pulled. The people that have done the rear disk conversion have had reduced stopping power. FWIW, the Tacoma has very competitive brakeing distance in its class. What kind of vehicle did you have before the Tcoma?
Old 01-02-2009, 07:44 AM   #3
Army:
I had a Ford Explorer.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:58 AM   #4
09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: security forces
09tacoLI's Tacoma Gallery
nuff said thats got the best brakes ever tranny brakes, engine brakes a/c brakes you know good brakes
Old 01-02-2009, 08:29 AM   #5
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
You can upgrade your rotors and pads in the front. And will see a noticeable increase in stopping power.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:50 AM   #6
Tacoma World Ring Leader
klown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

klown's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09tacoLI View Post
nuff said thats got the best brakes ever tranny brakes, engine brakes a/c brakes you know good brakes
LMFAO, that's what I was thinking
Old 01-02-2009, 08:51 AM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnchief View Post
With that said, where can I find rear disk brakes for a Tacoma?
Putting rear discs on is A LOT more than just slapping on a kit.

To make rear discs work effectively (like they should), you need to change out the master cylinder, change the proportioning, and gawd knows what else you need to do to work with the ABS.

Yeah, I agree...these brakes aren't the best. But they get the job done. You just gotta press a little harder on the pedal.

Do some more research - I've heard changing to stainless braided brake lines helps firm things up.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:15 PM   #8
Army:
yeah, the explorer was the wife's idea, got rid of it.. I like the taco better but the explorer had better breaks.