LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Need some "supercharger" clarification

Old 06-28-2012, 10:09 AM   #1
MadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nick
MadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Need some "supercharger" clarification

Disclaimer - I'm an N/A guy, and have built a few fast N/A cars in my time. I stick to N/A because I know next to nothing about F/I.

So here's what I do know. For low end and part throttle power, a roots style blower is the way to go. I'm looking for towing power, and not racing power. I will probably rarely, if ever go WOT with the truck. So I'm needing it to have some mid range power in the 2500-3000 rpm area mainly.

Here's what I don't know. Will a blower still give me more power in that range while just cruising along with the trailer in tow, or do I need to be in boost to get the benefit? Is there any boost when not at WOT?

Second question - If it does add power at part throttle for such an application, will adding a smaller pulley (URD pulley for the TRD SC) add to that mid range part throttle power, or will that only help with WOT performance?

Thanks - and yes I've searched long and hard
Old 06-28-2012, 10:13 AM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Roots blowers add boost whenever engine vacuum is low which is at full throttle and high load situations. The bypass valve will close at low vacuum and boost will be directed into the engine. This means that even at part throttle it can add power.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
MadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Ah - so the fact that the weight of the trailer may produce load on the engine at part throttle, the bypass sees that as being similar to a WOT load situation? So going downhill, or when level with little load, the valve opens and adds no boost.

I'm assuming it only adds enough boost to compensate for the slight load, so a smaller pulley wouldn't really add anything to the part throttle power in that situation, as it should never require more than the 5-6 lbs of boost the blower is capable of. Does that sound right?

Thanks!!
Old 07-02-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
F-125Racer is on a distinguished road

F-125Racer's Tacoma Gallery
Check out 6 Cylinder Towing Review in the Towing forum. I added a S/C for towing and logged a bunch of notes and passed them on.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #5
MadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for that! Looks like the S/C will do exactly what I want it to do, which is give me that extra power for the hills. Same situation as you, where I don't want a bigger truck if I can get the Tacoma to pull with a bit more power. Handling the load is no problem at all with my OME suspension.

I've been hunting for a bargain on the TRD S/C. Hopefully find one soon. If not, I'll break down and pay the $3800 from TRDparts4u, as that is still a good price from what I can tell.