1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Exhaust debate - muffler or full cat-back?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by ZMan2k2, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Jun 30, 2012 at 8:42 AM
    ZMan2k2

ZMan2k2 [OP] “Hold my beer and watch this!”

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    I'm trying to decide what to do. In a month and a bit, I'm going to the States for a week, and have thought about calling in an order to a Toyota dealer, and ordering a TRD exhaust. It's almost half price in the States compared to Canada, so that's the reason for ordering there. I'd pick it up, on my way back home, and install it later. Another option is to get a muffler replacement for the stocker, but use the factory piping, and get a nice tip installed on the truck.

My reasons for wanting a new exhaust are really for the sound. I want a nice growl when I get on it. I'm trying to avoid a drone on the highways however, so maybe keeping the stock resonator is the way to go. I'm not expecting much, if any, performance gains, but more get some more aggressive sound out of my truck.

In my city, there is a new by-law against loud vehicles. The setting is 96db on the sound-snare they use, and if you go over, it's a $200 ticket. So glass-packs, and straight pipes are out. I just want a slightly aggressive sound.

Finally, around town, it's easier to find Dynomax Super Turbo, or Magnaflow mufflers, not so much Borla. But if Borla is a popular suggestion of muffler, I'll order online. I'm not sure on sizing either. I know from reading, the stock piping is 2.5", but sizing of mufflers in regards to length, or offset of in and outs, I'm a n00b. A little explaination would be great.

2. Jun 30, 2012 at 11:59 AM
    Burritos Taco

Burritos Taco Active Member

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB 4x4 6sp
    Bilstein 5100s set at 1, 5160s rear,URD MAF calibrator, KN 63 series,DT Longtubes,Magnaflow cats, Walker Quiet Flow muffler, 2x Vibrant ultra quite resonators, TRD quickshifter
    If you need to quiet it down use vibrant's ultra quiet resonators, I have 2 of them on mine and it eliminated ALL the popping, 6-cylinder rasp that will happen with longs tubes and a 2.5" to 3" exhaust. Makes the tone smoother and lower.

There is an exhaust sound thread here somewhere, I know it is either pinned or a link in a pinned thread.

3. Jun 30, 2012 at 12:08 PM
    ZMan2k2

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    Thanks. I've listened to the exhaust sound clips, but computer speakers reveal only so much. I guess my question boils down to, "For sound performance only, can I get away with just a muffler replacement, or is a catback the better way to go?"

4. Jun 30, 2012 at 8:50 PM
    sandjunkie

sandjunkie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    OC
  5. Jul 1, 2012 at 8:30 AM
    ZMan2k2

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    Thanks! I heard that clip from the soundclip thread, and right away, I felt that was the sound for me. I even contacted that member through PM, very nice guy. I think that's what I'm going to do.

6. Jul 1, 2012 at 9:12 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    For sound only, save your money and drop in a muffler.

7. Jul 1, 2012 at 10:47 AM
    ZMan2k2

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    Yeah, it's mostly for sound. It's not like a cat-back adds 30hp on our trucks. I've got the factory cold-air box, with the secondary filter removed. If I get a MPG or two, than that's a bonus. Thanks.

8. Jul 1, 2012 at 1:11 PM
    sandjunkie

sandjunkie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    OC
    I did the same and I am very happy with the results.

9. Jul 10, 2012 at 3:37 PM
    Sublime

Sublime Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    Icon/All Pro.....chopped for 35's
    A cat back is just a shinny pipe with a new muffler. The muffler is the part you want!

To be honest, they all sound the same to me. TRD, borla, magnaflow and FM 50 have essentually the same tone (low and wont really be heard inside the truck). Drone comes from the sound resonating in the cab and wont happen unless it's chopped and the sound is being trapped under the truck. The rasp is from getting rid of the cats and/or having the out pipe too big.

Unless you change other things like headers, y-pipe etc. they're all the same.

Products Discussed in

To Top