Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

12.5 mpg!

Old 01-03-2009, 08:29 AM   #1
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
12.5 mpg!

Now, I'm not a nut for gas mileage. As long as it's decent, I'm ok. But I took a look at my gas mileage from my trip to Texas and back and I averaged 12.5 mpg! I have a tonneau cover and had a couple hundred pounds of stuff in the bed, but I wouldn't think it would be THAT bad! GPS said my average speed was 67 mph over 18 hours and 1200 miles.

Has my lift and everything else I've done to my truck really done that much to my gas mileage?
Old 01-03-2009, 08:32 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Should get better as you get more miles on the engine. Did you correct the milage for the tire size?
Old 01-03-2009, 08:35 AM   #3
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Should get better as you get more miles on the engine. Did you correct the milage for the tire size?
Yep. And these numbers are taken from GPS - so, actual speed and distance rather than speedo/odometer. But after the tires, I'm pretty close to right on my speedo - it's about 2-3 mph slow at 65. Was 4-5 mph fast before the tires...
Old 01-03-2009, 08:37 AM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Exen though your speedo is prety close, the ODO is going to be off. factory speedos are off by 5 mph or so, but the signal from the ECU is pretty accurate. Yes, the same signal goes to the speedo, but the guage it self is inaccurate.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:05 AM   #5
tacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud of

Name: Levi
tacoma08MZ's Tacoma Gallery
I get about that driving back and forth to work everyday, its back roads up and down hills but still, i think i should be getting way better than that. Im gettin about 250 miles to a tank thats horrible and im pretty easy on the pedal
Old 01-03-2009, 09:15 AM   #6
wildtrax1 is on a distinguished road
wildtrax1's Tacoma Gallery
I just checked my the mileage for my first tank of gas and got a whopping 12 mpg. I sure hope it improves after break in.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:18 AM   #7
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
You guys may want to look into an AFR guage. There is a chance that you are running rich, and wasting a lot of fuel. While its unlikely, its a possibility.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:30 AM   #10
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTaco View Post
I'm using just regular unleaded - the cheap stuff. 87 octane
how many miles do you have on your truck?
Old 01-03-2009, 09:31 AM   #11
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback07 View Post
Doesn't surprise me. My mileage sucks as well... if I go 75 I get about 12-13. 65 and I get 15-16 MPG.
Dang, that sucks. Cruising 80-85 i get 18mpg, and 65-70 closer to 20mpg...
Old 01-03-2009, 09:32 AM   #12
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Winter fuel blend has extra ethanol in it, correct? Maybe that also helped bring your MPG down. I'm driving back to MD today, so I'll get an MPG and post it for comparison sake.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:34 AM   #13
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I would guess that you are using winter gas by now. That has been said to drop mileage a few points.

I get about 20.5 on my commute, but I average about 67mph and have no loading.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:38 AM   #14
Professional High Fiver
Oh_Six_Taco_4x4 is just really niceOh_Six_Taco_4x4 is just really niceOh_Six_Taco_4x4 is just really niceOh_Six_Taco_4x4 is just really nice

Oh_Six_Taco_4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Stock, I got like 320-340 out of a tank. After my 3" lift and 265/70/17 mud terrains, I get about 250. Your not alone!
Old 01-03-2009, 09:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by XrunnIT View Post
how many miles do you have on your truck?
5500 now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
I would guess that you are using winter gas by now. That has been said to drop mileage a few points.

I get about 20.5 on my commute, but I average about 67mph and have no loading.
I thought I was getting 17-18 mpg during normal driving (commute, etc) but I'm going to pay closer attention to it during this tank. Just curious now!
Old 01-03-2009, 09:42 AM   #16
praetor is just really nicepraetor is just really nicepraetor is just really nicepraetor is just really nicepraetor is just really nice

Marines: 0333-Accuracy by Volume
praetor's Tacoma Gallery
My last three tanks were. 16.5, 17.3 and 17.6. I have roughly 300-400lbs in the bed and off road quite a bit. I am averaging 1200 miles per week with 700-800 off road. I don't try to get the best mpg and average 80-85 on the highway. I am also using 91 octane.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:49 AM   #17
Mr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mr.Ed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtrax1 View Post
I just checked my the mileage for my first tank of gas and got a whopping 12 mpg. I sure hope it improves after break in.
My first tank was 16 MPG, at 8000 miles or so combo HWY/city 18 MPG. I picked up a Undercover tonneau cover so i'm going to check it again.
My freind says Mythbusters show showed trucks get less MPG with them. I think the cover will not make a dif. I think with the tailgate removed the MPG might drop off a little.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:51 AM   #18
tacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud of

Name: Levi
tacoma08MZ's Tacoma Gallery
i have just about 7000 miles on mine and ive been running 93 octane
Old 01-03-2009, 10:42 AM   #19
sonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nice

sonjay's Tacoma Gallery
What was the temperature during your trip? Cold weather lowers fuel economy.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:47 AM   #20
Mr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mr.Ed's Tacoma Gallery
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma08MZ View Post
i have just about 7000 miles on mine and ive been running 93 octane
It must be the lift & tires.
Dude just checked out your Pick's nice truck clean & mean looking, also the lady WOW!