1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

High Performance 4.0 V6 Motor?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by VABUCKAROO, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Jul 13, 2012 at 5:46 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Punk Pony is Balboa. He used to regular Custom Tacos. Hasn't been any progress on his engine in quite some time. They did twin charge it, and get the kit "running" but never properly/safely tuned and running 100%. Shame.....it has potential.

2. Jul 13, 2012 at 5:52 PM
    03is300ztk

03is300ztk Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Somewhere in the hills NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4X4
    Grillcraft, with front and rear bumper/bed in the works.

Damn shame. Hopefully someday then, I'm reading over on XR-underground, this guy has built the shit out of his as he races it, but also seems to have fallen off the map as well. Check out his forward facing manifold if you havent already seen it.

http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34492&page=13

3. Jul 13, 2012 at 5:57 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Depending on pistons, $600-1100, higher compression necessary. Rods if you are in there. $1200. Not all that necessary if staying N/A, unless raising the rev limiter. Then replacing the the head gaskets and studs....

Of course then an aftermarket EMS to properly run things.....That price has a decent range on it.

If looking for 300 wtq, though, it will be much easier. Intake, headers, pulleys, EMS, light weight flywheel, light wheels.

4. Jul 13, 2012 at 6:01 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Baja 1GR. I like his build, and am really interested in an intake similar to his. Although, I won't run my injectors internally. Since i have an upgraded fuel rail.

5. Jul 13, 2012 at 6:02 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Quite, sir. Quite.

6. Jul 13, 2012 at 6:08 PM
    03is300ztk

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4X4
    Agreed, quite damn easy, however how long will that last with no management at all?

If you want the quickest way to 300, borrow a bottle of NOS from someone and push the little red button, you will see 300++++++++++... :boom:

7. Jul 13, 2012 at 6:11 PM
    theduck911

theduck911 Max's Canadian Twin

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Northwestern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Locked and Geared!
    If you just throw on a TRD S/C (complete stock as it comes outta the box) you never really have an issue with reliability (no more then a N/A motor)

8. Jul 13, 2012 at 6:11 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Also, the cams that are in Punk Pony's/Balboa's engine, are worked by Web Cam, out of Cali. They maintain the base circle of the factory cam, by welding on addition material to the lobes, then grinding to the specific degrees that you want. Simply regrinding the cam to a different degree is not good on our cams because you lose the base circle. Which is mainly affected by the fact that we have cams on shim buckets. Non adjustable. Only can replace cam buckets with thicker ones.

9. Jul 13, 2012 at 6:11 PM
    03is300ztk

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4X4
    I would be paranoid as shit about them being internal, but thats me not being educated on internal injectors. Fear of the unknown unknown.

10. Jul 13, 2012 at 6:20 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    F1 style. It is common and proven, with the injectors.

As for the TRD s/c, there are options. For the simplistic, the Toyota reflash. Safe and effective. Even works on turbos. ;) Or go upgraded EMS. No problem.

11. Jul 13, 2012 at 6:22 PM
    03is300ztk

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4X4
    Personally I would go piggy back(if can be made to work on 1gr ECU, or just plain stand alone.)

Some of the biggest issues with this motor and Performance parts, is that there is no real demand, you got 5 guys asking for it, and the other 250k are like nah im good.

12. Jul 13, 2012 at 6:51 PM
    03is300ztk

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4X4
    You can do it so can I, see Torspd's comment, REFLASH!!!!!

So go ahead bolt it on with out doing it, run lean burn up your valve and rings and see how your sitting for "bolt-on power"

13. Jul 13, 2012 at 6:56 PM
    theduck911

theduck911 Max's Canadian Twin

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Northwestern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Locked and Geared!
    The TRD reflash is part of the S/C install (it's kinda of implied and in the instructions when installing it) so if you fail to do this part you probably failed at installing the S/C right in the first place. :cool:

14. Jul 13, 2012 at 6:56 PM
    03is300ztk

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4X4
    HAHAHA derp derp. Derps are there for our enjoyment.

But is that included if you buy opting to install yourself?

15. Jul 13, 2012 at 7:04 PM
    03is300ztk

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4X4
    Fair enough, but since I will be going Torspds route prolly wont need it.

16. Jul 13, 2012 at 7:11 PM
    03is300ztk

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4X4

When did you mention FLASH????? oh thats right, someone else did then you rode it out. Buying and bolting on VS Buying and PAYING for install two different stories man. Should be a lil more exact with what you say in the future then as to avoid confusion. People might hold you to what you say.

17. Jul 13, 2012 at 7:23 PM
    03is300ztk

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4X4

I guess you miss all of these previous comments or are just lost to some of the terminology. Let me help

EMS= Engine Management System=== Fuel/Air/Timing control
    PiggyBack= Another form of engine management= Same as above however less control.
    Standalone= Laptop program managed ECU(delete toyota ECU). TOTAL CONTROL!!!

I will make sure to ask if you understand all comments in the future so your not lost nor make an a** of yourself. But from our past go rounds that seems to be what your good at.

18. Jul 13, 2012 at 7:28 PM
    Raceline08

Raceline08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Santa Rosa, ca
    Vehicle:
    Silver 08 DBC SB 4x4 TRD Offroad
    front Billies, 885x coils, taco lean spacer, TC UCA'S, Magnaflow 22" OME Dakars, Billy 110 rear's, B.A.M.F CMC, custom made E-locker guard
  19. Jul 13, 2012 at 7:33 PM
    03is300ztk

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4X4
    No shit sherlock, however also possessing a set of said instructions that come with said TRD S/C might be required to be able to read your said instructions. I get that, but you are missing the bigger point here, you never said FLASH or to do it nothing. YOUR WORDS WERE BOLT ON AND GO!!!!!!

So in YOUR WORDS, as YOU SAID. If you were to BOLT ON AND GO, it WILL NOT LAST!!!

Damn man you said what you said, deal with it and move on, stop trying to ride other individuals coat tails in being correct.

20. Jul 13, 2012 at 7:35 PM
    03is300ztk

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4X4

You think butt hurt? Because I'm smiling as I quote you, and it took you that long to remember???????

DAMNNNNNN oh thats right you average over 12,000 posts a year. I imagine it would be hard to remember who you tried to upset when and where and over what. But I'm glad your there. :D

Products Discussed in

To Top