Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

High Performance 4.0 V6 Motor?

Old 07-07-2012, 04:41 AM   #1
VABUCKAROO is on a distinguished road
Name: John
VABUCKAROO's Tacoma Gallery
High Performance 4.0 V6 Motor?

Having built a nice 350 Chevy motor years ago, I'm trying to find out if it's possible to build a high out put 4.0 V6 Taco motor. Better cam, pistons, etc. I have run acroos 22R perf., but nothing for the V6.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:46 AM   #2
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PERFORMANCE-...bb3c2f&vxp=mtr
Old 07-07-2012, 07:09 AM   #3
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ That was just a dumb link dude...

Yes. There are forged internals for the 1GR(4.0). I have been running Pauter Rods, and CP Pistons for quite a while now. ARP head studs, Cometic head Gaskets, Dual valve springs with Titanium retainers. Just recently started having my block sleeved, and a forged crank to go with everything.

www.Dezod.com New to the 1GR, but definitely not to Toyotas.

www.lceperformance.com Long time Toyota engine builders as well. Those are the two which I would talk to.

As for cams, that is really expensive because no one can get cores for our cams. So you have to send them off to a place called Web Cams. They are in Cali. The weld new material onto the current lobes, so you retain your base. Then they grind them to get the numbers you are after. However, they charge $1800 for all four cams.

If you have any further questions, post up, and I will help where i can.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:33 AM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by VABUCKAROO View Post
Having built a nice 350 Chevy motor years ago, I'm trying to find out if it's possible to build a high out put 4.0 V6 Taco motor. Better cam, pistons, etc. I have run acroos 22R perf., but nothing for the V6.
XRU would have better info on that.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:54 AM   #6
What I'm thinking I would like to be able to do is build a new block with better pistons, rings, con rods, heads, and cams. Have everything polished and honed. I'd like to use factory EFI, trans and t-case. I'd be happy with output around 300 HP. If I have to change tranny, I'd like to use a 5sp Auto. Possible a Ford truck C6.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:09 PM   #8
Looking at staying with factory FI. May be after market injectors. Definately will do headers and better exhaust.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:13 PM   #9
subwayaz is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Aircraft, Maint
subwayaz's Tacoma Gallery
There are some nice possibilities here. I'm sure it can be done.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:58 PM   #10
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VABUCKAROO View Post
Looking at staying with factory FI. May be after market injectors. Definately will do headers and better exhaust.
You must be meaning N/A (naturally aspirated). For F/I I was referring to Forced Induction.

To get to 300 HP, while staying N/A, you will have to run high compression pistons. Those are the same numbers that the guy in the link was striving for.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:03 PM   #11
Max's Canadian Twin
theduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
theduck911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
^^^ That was just a dumb link dude...

Yes. There are forged internals for the 1GR(4.0). I have been running Pauter Rods, and CP Pistons for quite a while now. ARP head studs, Cometic head Gaskets, Dual valve springs with Titanium retainers. Just recently started having my block sleeved, and a forged crank to go with everything.
With all these new internals on your Built motor, what are you doing with your oil system (pump, pickup, etc)?
Old 07-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #12
Tor-nication
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by theduck911 View Post
With all these new internals on your Built motor, what are you doing with your oil system (pump, pickup, etc)?
Being that my truck is a 4x4, it already has the deep oil pan. Compared to the shallow one which is on some PreRunners and all XRunners. So that is taken care of with little effort.

Unfortunately, there are no aftermarket oil pumps available. Say for higher rpm operation. So cannot change that. As well, I am limiting my max rpm to 6k, from factory at 5500.

Our engines have oil squirters, which is a nice plus, since it helps cool the pistons as well as add extra lubrication.

Basically, the only things I will be doing as far as oil goes, is use Redline 10w-40 or 15w-50. With half a bottle of their engine break-in oil at every change. Got to keep the ZDDP count up.

To help keep the oil cool, a Setrab oil cooler, used with a Greddy thermostatically controlled sandwich plate. Picked that up from www.240sxmotoring.com
Old 07-07-2012, 04:06 PM   #13
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
supercharge it and get 300 hp for a lot less headache and easier
Old 07-07-2012, 07:27 PM   #15
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
Some people like the raw N/A power. I won't stop him. Do as your heart desires my friend.
whatever floats his boat
Old 07-07-2012, 10:18 PM   #16
Tor-nication
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Howeeeeeeeever.......you could always install forged internals. Do like 2000GTacoma said and install a TRD s/c. Buuuuut, send off the s/c to Steigmier to have them do the Snakebite upgrade on it. Kind of like what a guy I know did.

It will make that TRD s/c boost 1 BAR, and make you pinch a hole in your seat every time you drive.

It is the only real way to get maximum power out of the TRD s/c.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:34 PM   #17
Max's Canadian Twin
theduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
theduck911's Tacoma Gallery
This "snakebite" upgrade sounds interesting
Old 07-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #19
Tor-nication
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Only person I know to have had the "Snake Bite" done, was a guy who guys by Sparkys Tacoma.

He sent his blower in to Stiegemeier, to have the front drive reconfigured, and thus it really upped the boost. 16 psi, when he first installed it.

http://www.stiegemeier.com/frontdrive.html

I am not sure what all work he had done though. I know he did the port and polish, ported throttle body, and front drive. Not sure about anything else.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:23 PM   #20
03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Navy Veteran
Name: Zach
03is300ztk's Tacoma Gallery
Check out Punk Pony's build over in the x runner side of the house, they seem to be ignored far too often for there input on what there doing since they arent lifting theres or wheeling.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/x-r...-cams-apr.html