Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

URD Maf Calibrator Review

Old 07-13-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
TacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gus
TacomaGus's Tacoma Gallery
URD Maf Calibrator Review

I know a lot of people ask questions on here about this unit and its capabilities and I wanted to give my simple humble opinion haha.

Long story short i found a member over on XRU who was selling his maf cal with the PNP harness, which is awesome and truly PNP. Got it installed in about 10 min and had it up and running, however the guy who sent it had a custom tune done for his truck, which made more power, but was running way too rich for my setup and was destroying mpgs. So I hit up gadget to send me a map that would better fit my setup (afe stage 2 si intake and aero 2525 muffler) so he sent a map made for the gen 1 trd intake (sam as AFE) and his URD catback, which flows a little more than just a muffler swap, but close enough. I've had this map running for the past couple of days and wow what a difference! Truck pulls harder and I've been seeing much better MPG, especially for how much I've been on the gas. It feels even stronger taking the front plug out (AFE Version). Before i left the plug in cuz the resonance of the intake with the plug out when you'd get on it was such an annoying drone, but the maf cal really tones down the volume since its giving the truck the extra fuel it needs to mix with the extra air and create that power.

Also the R4 tuning software is really easy to use if you follow his Utune guide. I have not done any tweeks as i do not have any wideband sensors or tuning tools, but its very easy to view the maps and watch how your truck interacts with the ECU.

Really enjoying it and can't wait for my headers to be on this week!
Old 07-13-2012, 04:18 PM   #2
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the review! I just got the same device a few weeks ago and have been debating about using it. I think I'll pick up the plug and play harness and have Gadget send me the map for my intake/exhaust and see how it goes!
Old 07-16-2012, 10:34 AM   #3
jmhirshorn is on a distinguished road
Army: Intel
Name: Josh
jmhirshorn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
Gadget is unable to get the terminal connections for anything above 2008 or 2009 I think, so no plug and play for 09 and up
I can confirm this is the case. I asked about a 2012 PNP harness to no avail.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:38 AM   #4
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Gaddamn it... I might need one of these now. Might make my At2525, intake, and headers worth it. Thanks for the review Gus!
Old 07-16-2012, 10:40 AM   #5
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
splitting into the harness youself really is not that hard. If you can install an amp or speakers then you shouldnt have a problem installing this without the PNP harness.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:03 AM   #6
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
splitting into the harness youself really is not that hard. If you can install an amp or speakers then you shouldnt have a problem installing this without the PNP harness.
I can wire it into the harness no problem. Just that Toyota will shit a purple Twinkie with sprinkles on it and void my warranty if they see it. That's the only reason I haven't installed it yet.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:16 AM   #7
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
I can wire it into the harness no problem. Just that Toyota will shit a purple Twinkie with sprinkles on it and void my warranty if they see it. That's the only reason I haven't installed it yet.
I had warranty work done on my truck when I had one...
Old 07-16-2012, 06:37 PM   #8
TacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
ya honestly w/o a harness you'd be able to tuck that thing up there nearly outta site cuz the harness is LARGE and its still not very visible...
Old 09-07-2012, 08:23 AM   #9
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: bOb
NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
i'm trying to find my answer right now, but i been searching for a while...looks like a good spot to ask seems how you had remapped your maf cal.

i currently have volant CAI with skewp with thorley long tubes and magnaflow catback...i had the maf cal pre-mapped by gadget for this setup..

well now i'm swapping back to a stock intake to run with a snorkel and will be swapping out to the short tubes, so gadget has sent me a new map and the UTune pdf.. but that's a lot of information that i don't think i need.

basically i'm just looking to get the new map into my calibrator...

how is this done?

open up the R4, load the map...then? it's been a while since i've looked at my calibrator, is there a wire i can connect from PC to the cal. to upload the map?

trying to get an idea of the full process before i start digging into my truck again...

thanks
Old 09-07-2012, 09:49 AM   #10
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhirshorn View Post
I can confirm this is the case. I asked about a 2012 PNP harness to no avail.
Some others might already know this, but I just found out, thanks to Toon.

The '09+ has the same connectors as the Lexus ISF. Those guys haven't been able to find the connectors as well.

So, until Gadget comes out with them, Unichip is still the only company to have them.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:48 AM   #11
she'll ride
nut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AC3 (Vet)
Name: Patrick
nut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
Some others might already know this, but I just found out, thanks to Toon.

The '09+ has the same connectors as the Lexus ISF. Those guys haven't been able to find the connectors as well.

So, until Gadget comes out with them, Unichip is still the only company to have them.
Yeah its a bummer. Look at my sig for a possible alternative
Old 09-08-2012, 09:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCO View Post
i'm trying to find my answer right now, but i been searching for a while...looks like a good spot to ask seems how you had remapped your maf cal.

i currently have volant CAI with skewp with thorley long tubes and magnaflow catback...i had the maf cal pre-mapped by gadget for this setup..

well now i'm swapping back to a stock intake to run with a snorkel and will be swapping out to the short tubes, so gadget has sent me a new map and the UTune pdf.. but that's a lot of information that i don't think i need.

basically i'm just looking to get the new map into my calibrator...

how is this done?

open up the R4, load the map...then? it's been a while since i've looked at my calibrator, is there a wire i can connect from PC to the cal. to upload the map?

trying to get an idea of the full process before i start digging into my truck again...

thanks
You'll need a USB to serial port cable to connect to the calibrator to you're PC. First open the software, and open up the necessary map. Then turn your ignition to on, but don't actually start the truck. Then press "connect to ECU", and then "write to ECU". Then you should see it load up in the fuel map change, and turn on you're truck and enjoy. Anyone think I missed something?
Old 09-09-2012, 06:51 AM   #16
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: bOb
NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
best buy... just git one the other day to do this. going to do it this afternoon. thanks for the info Gus , that's about what I figured.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:01 AM   #19
s7racing is on a distinguished road
s7racing's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the review, I also have this unit paired with my Afe intake and it really made a difference, if your going to get an intake you need to get this also if you want any performance gain.

I have a question that hopefully someone can answer, Ive heard the cal only comes into play during "open loop". So when is my truck running "open loop" and when is it running "closed loop?"
Old 09-09-2012, 09:05 AM   #20
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
s7racing, here is a qoute from Gadget at URD:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget@URD View Post
There is a lot of tuning the URD MAF Calibrator in closed loop mode. You cannot alter the fuel mixture in closed loop mode with it, but you can do a lot of tuning there. We have other products that are used for altering fuel mixture in closed loop.

There are a lot of intake systems on the market that are not very well designed and cause a lot of significant induced MAF sensor error. For example on the 5vz the K&N Series 63 will cause the engine to run very lean and cause a significant positive fuel trim deviation. The Volant for the 1GR Tacoma makes the engine run very rich and causes a significant negative fuel trim deviation in closed loop from the ECU trying to compensate for it. The there is the new TRD for the 1GR Tacoma that make the engine run lean and a significant positive fuel trim deviation in closed loop.

We use the MAF Cal in closed loop to recalibrate the MAF sensor to the new tube and fix the induced sensor errors caused by poorly designed intake systems. Still tuning closed loop and fixing problems. So, yes there is a lot of closed loop tuning to be done with the MAF Cal.

You can also compensate for injectors that are different size from stock.

Just wanted to clear that up, the rest of the post is on target.

G
From this thread.http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/per...ml#post5663767

Should clear your questions.