1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

URD Maf Calibrator Review

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by TacomaGus, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Jul 13, 2012 at 4:13 PM
    TacomaGus

TacomaGus [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gus
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 White TRD Sport DC
    Tinted Tails, TRD Shift Knob, Kenwood Headunit, Ebay BHLM Lights, Trimmed Mud Flaps, 265/70/17 General Grabber AT2's, WeatherTech Mats, Black Badges, Sylvania ZXE Bulbs, AFE Stage 2 Si Intake, 17x8.5 Level 8 Guardian Wheels, URD SS, Custom 2.5" Catback with Aero 2525 and Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator, URD MAF CAL, JBA LT Headers, OME 884's, Nitrochargers, Dakars with 3rd lead removed, Light Racing UCA's
    I know a lot of people ask questions on here about this unit and its capabilities and I wanted to give my simple humble opinion haha.

Long story short i found a member over on XRU who was selling his maf cal with the PNP harness, which is awesome and truly PNP. Got it installed in about 10 min and had it up and running, however the guy who sent it had a custom tune done for his truck, which made more power, but was running way too rich for my setup and was destroying mpgs. So I hit up gadget to send me a map that would better fit my setup (afe stage 2 si intake and aero 2525 muffler) so he sent a map made for the gen 1 trd intake (sam as AFE) and his URD catback, which flows a little more than just a muffler swap, but close enough. I've had this map running for the past couple of days and wow what a difference! Truck pulls harder and I've been seeing much better MPG, especially for how much I've been on the gas. It feels even stronger taking the front plug out (AFE Version). Before i left the plug in cuz the resonance of the intake with the plug out when you'd get on it was such an annoying drone, but the maf cal really tones down the volume since its giving the truck the extra fuel it needs to mix with the extra air and create that power.

Also the R4 tuning software is really easy to use if you follow his Utune guide. I have not done any tweeks as i do not have any wideband sensors or tuning tools, but its very easy to view the maps and watch how your truck interacts with the ECU.

Really enjoying it and can't wait for my headers to be on this week!

freddy2923 likes this.
  2. Jul 13, 2012 at 4:18 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    Thanks for the review! I just got the same device a few weeks ago and have been debating about using it. I think I'll pick up the plug and play harness and have Gadget send me the map for my intake/exhaust and see how it goes!

3. Jul 16, 2012 at 10:34 AM
    jmhirshorn

jmhirshorn Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Evans, Ga
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD Sport
    Debadged, Tonneau, URD TCAI, Flowmaster DBX Hushpower Cat Back, URD MAF Recalibrator
    I can confirm this is the case. I asked about a 2012 PNP harness to no avail.

4. Jul 16, 2012 at 10:38 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    Gaddamn it... I might need one of these now. Might make my At2525, intake, and headers worth it. Thanks for the review Gus! :thumbsup:

Squirrel pimp likes this.
  5. Jul 16, 2012 at 10:40 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    splitting into the harness youself really is not that hard. If you can install an amp or speakers then you shouldnt have a problem installing this without the PNP harness.

6. Jul 16, 2012 at 11:03 AM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    I can wire it into the harness no problem. Just that Toyota will shit a purple Twinkie with sprinkles on it and void my warranty if they see it. That's the only reason I haven't installed it yet.

7. Jul 16, 2012 at 11:16 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    I had warranty work done on my truck when I had one...

8. Jul 16, 2012 at 6:37 PM
    TacomaGus

Member:
    First Name:
    Gus
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 White TRD Sport DC
    Tinted Tails, TRD Shift Knob, Kenwood Headunit, Ebay BHLM Lights, Trimmed Mud Flaps, 265/70/17 General Grabber AT2's, WeatherTech Mats, Black Badges, Sylvania ZXE Bulbs, AFE Stage 2 Si Intake, 17x8.5 Level 8 Guardian Wheels, URD SS, Custom 2.5" Catback with Aero 2525 and Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator, URD MAF CAL, JBA LT Headers, OME 884's, Nitrochargers, Dakars with 3rd lead removed, Light Racing UCA's
    ya honestly w/o a harness you'd be able to tuck that thing up there nearly outta site cuz the harness is LARGE and its still not very visible...

9. Sep 7, 2012 at 8:23 AM
    NYCO

NYCO go explore...

Member:
    First Name:
    bOb
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Blue Betty - '06 TRD OR
    dents & scratches
    i'm trying to find my answer right now, but i been searching for a while...looks like a good spot to ask seems how you had remapped your maf cal.

i currently have volant CAI with skewp with thorley long tubes and magnaflow catback...i had the maf cal pre-mapped by gadget for this setup..

well now i'm swapping back to a stock intake to run with a snorkel and will be swapping out to the short tubes, so gadget has sent me a new map and the UTune pdf.. but that's a lot of information that i don't think i need.

basically i'm just looking to get the new map into my calibrator...

how is this done?

open up the R4, load the map...then? it's been a while since i've looked at my calibrator, is there a wire i can connect from PC to the cal. to upload the map?

trying to get an idea of the full process before i start digging into my truck again...

thanks

10. Sep 7, 2012 at 9:49 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Some others might already know this, but I just found out, thanks to Toon.

The '09+ has the same connectors as the Lexus ISF. Those guys haven't been able to find the connectors as well.

So, until Gadget comes out with them, Unichip is still the only company to have them. :mad:

11. Sep 7, 2012 at 11:48 AM
    nut

nut she'll ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Totaled
    TRD SKEWP DCSB 4x4 Silver Mica | URD TCAI/MAF CAL | BHLM | GrillCraft | FF Sliders | LED's All Around | 12v Constant On | EGR In Channel | 15% Tint | Trimmed mud flaps | Fog Light Anytime Mod | Debadged | Tailgate Hoseclamp | DTRL Switch | Disabled Lock Beep/Seatbelt Chime | Husky Liners | HID's | BedRug | WO Seat Covers | ABS Kill Switch | Oil Catch Can | Viper 5704 | Custom Carbon Cabin Filter | Backup Camera Anytime | 400W Anytime | In Cab Outlet W/USB | Firestone Ride Rites | Ams Oil All Around | 32" LED In Lower Grill | BlackVue DR500GW-HD |
    Yeah its a bummer. Look at my sig for a possible alternative ;)

12. Sep 7, 2012 at 4:06 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Yes, and as a matter of fact, it gave me an idea to reference somone to your thread.

13. Sep 8, 2012 at 9:48 AM
    TacomaGus

Member:
    First Name:
    Gus
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 White TRD Sport DC
    You'll need a USB to serial port cable to connect to the calibrator to you're PC. First open the software, and open up the necessary map. Then turn your ignition to on, but don't actually start the truck. Then press "connect to ECU", and then "write to ECU". Then you should see it load up in the fuel map change, and turn on you're truck and enjoy. Anyone think I missed something?

14. Sep 8, 2012 at 10:11 AM
    TonkaToyTaco

TonkaToyTaco Hope you can run faster than 965 FPS

Member:
    First Name:
    Louie
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD DCLB 4X4
    Fox 2.0 Coilovers cranked up with JBA UCA, Rear OME 2" leaf pack with Ride Rite air bags, SCS Steath 6 matte black rims wrapped in 285/75/17 Cooper ST MAXX, Blacked out emblems, Debaged tailgate, Tinted windows (5% in rear, 5% up front and 40% on windsheild), Retro color matched HID headlights with Amber Halo, Projector LED Foglight, Custom LED Taillight and 3rd brake light, T-Rex 2 eyelids color matched, Fog light anytime MOD, All LED interior and exterior ligths, Volant CAI With forced Ram, JET throttle body spacer, Aero Turbine SS Muffler, Aero Turbine SS 4inch tip dumped after axel, URD MAF Calibrator, LED bed lights, 4X4 light mod, Satoshi Grill with matching scoop and lower Valance, 20" LED bar and 2 LED Pods behind Satoshi, Diff breather mod, Sea Blu secondary fuse box with 100A breaker, Outlaw Train Horns with dual Air Compressors and 5 Gal tank, Ultraguage, Andre Devil Horns, Pedal Commander
    bump good info? Anyone know where I can get a USB to serial port cable?

15. Sep 9, 2012 at 6:17 AM
    TonkaToyTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Louie
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD DCLB 4X4
    Fox 2.0 Coilovers cranked up with JBA UCA, Rear OME 2" leaf pack with Ride Rite air bags, SCS Steath 6 matte black rims wrapped in 285/75/17 Cooper ST MAXX, Blacked out emblems, Debaged tailgate, Tinted windows (5% in rear, 5% up front and 40% on windsheild), Retro color matched HID headlights with Amber Halo, Projector LED Foglight, Custom LED Taillight and 3rd brake light, T-Rex 2 eyelids color matched, Fog light anytime MOD, All LED interior and exterior ligths, Volant CAI With forced Ram, JET throttle body spacer, Aero Turbine SS Muffler, Aero Turbine SS 4inch tip dumped after axel, URD MAF Calibrator, LED bed lights, 4X4 light mod, Satoshi Grill with matching scoop and lower Valance, 20" LED bar and 2 LED Pods behind Satoshi, Diff breather mod, Sea Blu secondary fuse box with 100A breaker, Outlaw Train Horns with dual Air Compressors and 5 Gal tank, Ultraguage, Andre Devil Horns, Pedal Commander
  16. Sep 9, 2012 at 6:51 AM
    NYCO

NYCO go explore...

Member:
    First Name:
    bOb
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Blue Betty - '06 TRD OR
    dents & scratches
    best buy... just git one the other day to do this. going to do it this afternoon. thanks for the info Gus , that's about what I figured.

17. Sep 9, 2012 at 7:03 AM
    TonkaToyTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Louie
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD DCLB 4X4
    How much did you pay and is there a specific one i need to get? like pin #

18. Sep 9, 2012 at 7:56 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    If your computer has a USB port, then you can just get a USB to USB cable. Take a quick look at both devices, and you will know for certain.

19. Sep 9, 2012 at 9:01 AM
    s7racing

s7racing Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thanks for the review, I also have this unit paired with my Afe intake and it really made a difference, if your going to get an intake you need to get this also if you want any performance gain.

I have a question that hopefully someone can answer, Ive heard the cal only comes into play during "open loop". So when is my truck running "open loop" and when is it running "closed loop?"

4runnersickness likes this.
  20. Sep 9, 2012 at 9:05 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    s7racing, here is a qoute from Gadget at URD:

From this thread.http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/pe...ld-air-intakes-you-running-3.html#post5663767

Should clear your questions.

Products Discussed in

To Top