Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Luv the taco's, but got a few questions

Old 07-30-2007, 11:56 AM   #1
VTA HOT TACO is on a distinguished road

VTA HOT TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Luv the taco's, but got a few questions

What's up everyone? Got a new 07 Tacoma a few months ago and have already bought the Billet Grille (Not installed yet). Unfortunately, you have to mill the front grill (existing) and that's gonna cost a couple hundo$. So I decided that I would go ahead and just begin the performance side of this baby of mine. I've already installed the K&N air intake (unbelievable sound on accel.) and I love the impact it's made!

My next plan is for the exhaust and that's where I'm stuck. I've been researching this for about 2 weeks now (while saving the money) and have it narrowed down to two cat-back systems (to begin with, headers will come soon) , Gibson and MagnaFlow. I was just wondering which one will have the best gains for a tacoma? Which one will have the best gains once the performance chip is installed? How much hp is really gained by the new setup? Best for throaty sound?

Any recommendations for the kind of performance chips is always accepted too.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:22 PM   #2
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
the magnaflow on mine gets noisy in the cab at times...so if thats a big deal for u, then i wouldnt get it.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:11 PM   #3
Spyder327 is on a distinguished road

Spyder327's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Spyder327
What "performance chip" do you plan on buying?
Old 07-30-2007, 04:09 PM   #4
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Those "performance" chips are just snake oil. Just save your money for something that is proven performance, like a supercharger.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:35 PM   #5
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

the chippiest thing i've heard of that actually works in the MAF calibrator. it needs soldering and electrical work to connect, but everyone that's got it from URD says its the best and the good way to get the HP from the intake and exhaust combo for the gas/air combo
Old 07-30-2007, 04:41 PM   #6
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

^ yeah, forgot about that. URD makes good crap!
Old 08-01-2007, 02:30 PM   #7
Lee's06Taco is on a distinguished road

Lee's06Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Stay away from performance chip. It will harm your truck in the long run. Go w/supercharger or turbo.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:47 AM   #8
geezer is on a distinguished road
geezer's Tacoma Gallery
Gibson Swept Side

The Gibson is quiet in the cab. It and a rubber box floor mat keep things quiet for me. I started by replacing the muffler only with a magna something or other and that lasted about 50 miles...way too much resonance in the cab. I sought the oracle (a REAL old guy who's been doing exhausts for over 4 decades) and found out I needed a resonator...also know as a glass pac to break up the sound waves. I put one in front of the muffler and it helped a bunch and enter the box mat for Xmas and all was quiet. Except I had $200 tied up in a system that was as much mufflers as pipe....grrrr. Finally (pay attention here boys and girls) I found this forum; did some homework; made a few calls and ended up with a Gibson. The mat might even quiet down the Magna Flow? Dunno about performance...it would be very costly to rent a chasis dyno for a day; purchase the top 3-4 exhausts; and run each one under more or less the same conditions. At best you might see a power shift up and down the rpm band but I wouldn't think the #'s would be that much different. Gibson also 'claims' to help the power in the most usable range and I did notice it was snappier on my first trip through the gears after the install. But no way can I say it makes more power just that it runs better where I live. An increase in power where you don't go doesn't do most folks much good. fwiw......

.............geezer
Old 08-02-2007, 09:35 AM   #9
Panama Red is on a distinguished road
Panama Red's Tacoma Gallery
Geezer:
Please pardon my ignorance, but what is a rubber box floor mat ???
Old 08-02-2007, 03:37 PM   #10
geezer's Tacoma Gallery
clarification

PR - Toyota and others make a rubber protective mat for the box of your truck. It's fitted for truck and is usually 5/8s to 3/4s of an inch thick. It protects the floor of your box from damage and (from what I've seen) deadens the resonance from the exhaust...no doubt an unintentional benefit.

................geezer
Old 08-02-2007, 05:37 PM   #11
VTA HOT TACO is on a distinguished road

VTA HOT TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Box???

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer View Post
PR - Toyota and others make a rubber protective mat for the box of your truck. It's fitted for truck and is usually 5/8s to 3/4s of an inch thick. It protects the floor of your box from damage and (from what I've seen) deadens the resonance from the exhaust...no doubt an unintentional benefit.

................geezer
By the word box, do you mean the floor boards of the truck? In front of the seats? Sooo confused.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:15 PM   #12
bite me

Methinks he means the truck bed.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:20 PM   #13
Panama Red is on a distinguished road
Panama Red's Tacoma Gallery
geezer:
Thank you. I have one of those too, but I call it a rubber bed mat. That is why I did not recognize what your were talking about. When I added my bed mat, it made no difference in my TRD exhaust sound, unlike you with your exhaust sound.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:56 PM   #14
Sooooooper Moderator

the rubber mat hasnt made a dent in the sound coming from my magnaflow at all
Old 08-03-2007, 05:38 AM   #15
geezer's Tacoma Gallery
me neither......

Hasn't changed my exhaust sound either...but it did quiet the incab noise. No mat is going to change the exhaust note but it will dampen road noise and the droning noise from the exhaust. In my case 2 different sounds.

...................geezer
Old 08-03-2007, 09:25 AM   #16
Sooooooper Moderator

well thats what i meant...i had no sound difference inside the cab from the exhaust
Old 08-03-2007, 05:43 PM   #17
Kevin296@adelphia.net is on a distinguished road
Kevin296@adelphia.net's Tacoma Gallery
The TRD exhaust with TRD Cai works for me. It has a good sound, I also have the URD Maf which gives it a really good pull when you get over 3000 rpm's I have to get it tune then it will be really sweet.