Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

4runner engine?

Old 07-16-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
Backwoods legit, don't take no shit!
BackwoodsTaco is a name known to allBackwoodsTaco is a name known to allBackwoodsTaco is a name known to allBackwoodsTaco is a name known to allBackwoodsTaco is a name known to allBackwoodsTaco is a name known to all

Firefighter: Stokes Vol. Fire Department, Station 23
Name: Paul
BackwoodsTaco's Tacoma Gallery
4runner engine?

Is there any differance between am engine in a 4runner and a taco?
Old 07-16-2012, 11:07 AM   #2
I bring the feel goods
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
2nd gen I believe so....first gen, I am not sure

But I know no specifics, sorry.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
What year Taco and what year Runner?
Old 07-16-2012, 11:11 AM   #4
BackwoodsTaco is a name known to allBackwoodsTaco is a name known to allBackwoodsTaco is a name known to allBackwoodsTaco is a name known to allBackwoodsTaco is a name known to allBackwoodsTaco is a name known to all

The engine is from a 98 v6 4runner and my truck is an 01 v6
Old 07-16-2012, 11:11 AM   #5
I bring the feel goods
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
I think he means the 3.4 tacoma and 3.4 4runner. and the 4.0 tacoma and 4.0 4 runner....it would only make sense
Old 07-16-2012, 11:12 AM   #6
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Same
Old 07-16-2012, 11:15 AM   #7

Ok cool. I thought i had heard something about a v6 4runner having an ERG and the taco doesn't
Old 07-16-2012, 11:31 AM   #9
jmhirshorn is on a distinguished road
Army: Intel
Name: Josh
jmhirshorn's Tacoma Gallery
The new 4Runner 4.0L is Dual VVT-i. It gives a little more HP and Torque. Essentially, is is able to control intake and exhaust, whereas the Single VVT-i is only intake.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:34 AM   #10
4Runner guy
Ripcord is one of the sharper tools in the shedRipcord is one of the sharper tools in the shedRipcord is one of the sharper tools in the shedRipcord is one of the sharper tools in the shedRipcord is one of the sharper tools in the shedRipcord is one of the sharper tools in the shedRipcord is one of the sharper tools in the shedRipcord is one of the sharper tools in the shedRipcord is one of the sharper tools in the shedRipcord is one of the sharper tools in the shedRipcord is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
Ripcord's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhirshorn View Post
The new 4Runner 4.0L is Dual VVT-i. It gives a little more HP and Torque. Essentially, is is able to control intake and exhaust, whereas the Single VVT-i is only intake.
yup, the op is talking about the 3.4 though.

welcome to the site.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:27 PM   #11
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
For the record as well, the 4Runners which have the 1GR w/single VVTi, are different in one area. I cannot remember the years, in which the 1GR was first introduced into the 4Runner, so someone please add.

Any way, that T4R 1GR has a different intake cam actuator, than the intake cam actuator on the '05 + Tacoma with a 1GR.

Here is a pic of the difference.

The one on the right, with the burnt oil is out of the 4Runner (T4R). Left is an '06 Tacoma.

The sensors used to read the pick-up on each is different, so if for some odd reason you have to do an engine swap, you MUST SWAP the intake cam gears over as well.

A lengthy process as well. I have pics of that if wanted, also.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:27 PM   #12
Gadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gadget@URD's Tacoma Gallery
The difference in the VVTi actuators is the year of the engines.

2003-2004 had the VVTi actuators on the right in the picture above.

All the 1GRs from 2005+ use the VVTi actuator on the left.

G