1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Quiet Muffler Advice

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Richard8655, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Jul 16, 2012 at 7:06 PM
    Richard8655

Richard8655 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Chicago suburbs
    Vehicle:
    '99 SR5 2.4L 2wd Xtracab
    SR5
    Hi All,
    Newbie here needing advice on muffler replacement on a '99 Tacoma (L4 2wd Xtracab).

I'm not looking for a performance/aggresive sound, but rather as quiet and unnoticeable a sound as possible. The local Toyota dealers want $517 + $177 labor for a genuine Toyota OEM exhaust system (the only way it comes, as one unit from the catalytic converter on back).

I checked 3rd party manufacturers and the only quiet OEM-sounding muffler is a Walker Stainless Steel Quiet Flow for $100, and comes as a unit with tailpipe from the muffler on back (needs to be welded/clamped to the intermediate pipe).

Toyota offers lifetime parts/labor free replacement and comes as a solid, single SS unit bolted onto the cat. The Walker, with installation, would only be about $160. But I don't want to keep replacing Walker mufflers every 2-3 years or fixing loose/rusted weld joints over time.

So any advice on which way to go?

2. Jul 16, 2012 at 7:14 PM
    eight08

eight08 Active Member

Member:
    honolulu
    Vehicle:
    2012 reg. cab 4x4
    take a look at "Turbo Mufflers".. it's a type of muffler, not a brand. the tone may be a little different than stock, but it should be very quiet. turbo mufflers are cheap too!

take it to any of your local muffler shops and have it welded on. it should flow much better than stock as well.

3. Jul 16, 2012 at 7:17 PM
    Rackster

Rackster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    '04 E/cab 4x4 2.7 Auto SR5
    Depending how long you plan to keep your vehicle, the OEM exhaust might be the right price. I like the quiet too, so when the time comes, I'll be buying mine at the dealership.

4. Jul 16, 2012 at 8:21 PM
    Richard8655

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Chicago suburbs
    Vehicle:
    '99 SR5 2.4L 2wd Xtracab
    SR5
    Thanks guys. You both have good points of view that I'm considering.

5. Jul 17, 2012 at 5:44 PM
    Rackster

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    Anytime Richard. As a point of interest, I have a lady that works for me and she drives a '97 Honda Accord. When her muffler went, she got the Honda OEM replacement. Paid more, but it was worth it for her. She's on her 3 complete muffler system, paid for once a long time ago. Aside from the flaking paint on the roof and trunk, you'd never know that she has 342K miles on the car. She says her secret is buying OEM replacement parts and labor. She drives fast and is not easy, so to speak, on the car, but it runs well and rides nice. Maybe you'll hang onto your Tacoma long enough to get the next exhaust system....free.

6. Jul 17, 2012 at 8:11 PM
    Richard8655

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Chicago suburbs
    Vehicle:
    '99 SR5 2.4L 2wd Xtracab
    SR5
    Exactly my leanings on this also, Rackster. I'm hesitant in going with 3rd party parts not only because of questionable quality/reputation, but in my experience Toyota OEM parts last forever and are made to operate perfectly with the vehicle.

I think your employee is smart in her strategy with her Honda. Pay a bit more upfront as an investment, and reap the long-term benefits of good performance made for the car's specs that'll probably last the life of the car.

You can probably tell I keep my vehicles forever, and sounds like you're of similar thinking. I have a '90 Camry wagon that's still going strong. Toyota OEM muffler replaced about 15 years ago and still fine. This is why Toyota and maybe Honda are the way to go for longevity.

7. Jul 18, 2012 at 6:43 PM
    Rackster

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    I went to lunch with my colleague today: 346K. I sat in the back today and the interior was firm and free of any stains/wear marks. If she painted the vehicle, it would pass for a car less than half it's age and mileage. I own a 2004 Accord, and at 108K, runs like it did when it was new. I wonder if I'll still have it for another 200K? Like most enthusiasts in this forum, the aim is to keep the vehicles I own looking and running right (whatever that is to the individual and for me, basically stock).

I only use OEM replacements on all my vehicles and pay particular attention to maintaining optimum performance. I explored replacement exhaust systems for my 2000 Ranger (sold it to get my Tacoma) about a year ago as that system was close to expired (it actually fell off during a funeral procession). At that time, I was doing the research to find an aftermarket system that would perhaps improve MPGs and provide a slight HP increase. What I learned is that many of the aftermarket solutions could reduce both in my attempt to improve both. Many advised me to get the OEM replacement especially since one of my requirements is that the system be as quiet as the stock system. I'm not a youngster anymore, so my aim is for a modest, non-attention grabbing exhaust. The kid next door has a CAI and an aftermarket exhaust on his Subaru and although he tries to idle down the street at 6:37 each morning, I don't need to be near a clock to know what time it is.

1990 Camry - nice! Camry back then were world-beater cars. Tops in sales and value. 22 years later, that vehicle is a good value...getting better with each passing day. Even today, the Camry is a top competing vehicle in its class and has stiff competition with the Accord and a couple new, up-and-coming manufacturers (Kia/Hyundai). Competition in that class has been strong for the past 30+ years. Trucks, Toyota has made a sizeable dent into the US marketshare. On the roads around here, you see old Rangers and Tacomas, fewer GM compacts, Dodges and Nissans. Tacomas especially hold their value and are highly sought. I plan to keep mine a long while so when the time comes, I'll replace with OEM replacement parts so long as they are available.

8. Jul 18, 2012 at 8:36 PM
    RELLIM

RELLIM Well-Known Member

Member:
    IOWA CITY IA
    Vehicle:
    2010 ACC CAB 4X4 V6 SR5 TRD
    Scan Gauge II, AFE air filter, charcoal intake filter delete Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Alpine iDA-X303, AMS OIL (ENGINE) Bilstein 5100 RHA series
    look into Gibson Exhaust. It's a quite system made to perform in everyday used rpm speeds.

I've had a Gibson on all the vehicles I have owned.

Products Discussed in

To Top