Notices

N/A Power Gains - Dynos w/Mods

Old 09-01-2013, 04:27 PM   #102
Vassily28 is on a distinguished road
Vassily28's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vassily28 View Post
OK i've gone trough 3 dyno session in the last 2 weeks and the results are:

Sorry but i'll be back with the graph of the first 2 runs.

Tacoma 2011 4x4 V6 AT DC LB.

1st run :

Stock with DTLT, O2 sim, TRD catback, TRD 1st gen CAI with a AFE ProDryS
Results 216 RWHP and 251 lbs-pi.

2nd run :

Adding of TRD SC and ECU reflash. No other mods added.
Results 281 RWHP and 295 lbs-pi.

3rd run :

URD 2.8 stealth pulley + OEM FPR mod + URD MAF controller and 2 days of tuning with sangage LM-1, Open tune OT-1, R4 software, logworks3.
Results 298.2 RWHP 5500 rpm and 328.6 lbs-pi at 3700 rpm.
Another important data, i've finalized my boost gage installation. I've not done a run to the cut off but at first sight it seems thet i reach 7 ( correction in fact it's 7.5) psi of boost.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #103
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadToy View Post
I hope that AFR reading was wrong!
The A/F also behaved exactly the same with the baseline runs. I purposefully didn't do anything to try to address the issue as I wanted the 2 inch thick intake manifold spacer to be the only change...

This way I now know exactly what the gains are with the spacer alone, without clouding the results by making other concurrent changes.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:38 PM   #104
...and we're back!
Benson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
Benson X's Tacoma Gallery
Just curious how accurate the numbers are based on which type of dyno was used (Dynojet vs. Mustang). I know there are many factors that can affect the ending numbers, but I am mainly referring to differences / variables between the 2.

I might be getting my Taco dyno'd soon, and will likely go with a shop using a Mustang MD-250. This shop was recommended to me, and for good reason http://www.bloodenterprises.com/
I am also thinking about going here: http://www.turbotechnologyinc.com/site/?page_id=5. They use a Dynojet and have also been recommended.

Here is some good info.:
http://www.maximumperformance.biz/Dyno_Simple.htm
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1237732
http://www.mustangdyne.com/mustangdy...=MD-250+Series
Old 11-26-2013, 08:12 PM   #105
Knuckles is a glorious beacon of lightKnuckles is a glorious beacon of lightKnuckles is a glorious beacon of lightKnuckles is a glorious beacon of lightKnuckles is a glorious beacon of lightKnuckles is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Jamie
Knuckles's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, this thread has been immensely helpful. I have the TRD exhaust (truck is just coming with it) and was planning on the DTST headers, y pipe, some sort of air intake modification, and a good programmer. My goal is to put down on the ground what Toyota says these 1GR's put out at the crank (about 270 lb. ft.. couldn't care less about peak HP)...and keep it all as low rpm as possible.

Also good to know that all these mods will help if and when I pull the trigger on a s/c.

Thanks guys!
Old 11-26-2013, 08:17 PM   #106
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckles View Post
Wow, this thread has been immensely helpful. I have the TRD exhaust (truck is just coming with it) and was planning on the DTST headers, y pipe, some sort of air intake modification, and a good programmer. My goal is to put down on the ground what Toyota says these 1GR's put out at the crank (about 270 lb. ft.. couldn't care less about peak HP)...and keep it all as low rpm as possible.

Also good to know that all these mods will help if and when I pull the trigger on a s/c.

Thanks guys!
Same boat I was in.......... but I went 3" exhaust and long tubes.

Drove terrible IMHO, the TQ wasnt down as low as it used to be due to the excessive free flowing exhaust.

Do 1 mod at a time just in case.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:51 PM   #107
Knuckles is a glorious beacon of lightKnuckles is a glorious beacon of lightKnuckles is a glorious beacon of lightKnuckles is a glorious beacon of lightKnuckles is a glorious beacon of lightKnuckles is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Jamie
Knuckles's Tacoma Gallery
That MotoIQ article was very helpful.

Yeah, I plan on spending a lot of time on a dyno...it sounds ridiculous in a way, being that I'm going through a lot of work on "just a truck" but I know the importance of volumetric efficiency an have seen first hand what quality parts can do to an n/a motor when I built up my VQ30 back in the day. Dyno just verifies that you didnt waste a bunch of money for nothing, and allows you to fine tune to get the most out of your $. I'm a fan of that hehe
Old 08-27-2014, 12:33 AM   #109
          
skygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
were there tests with just the Ucon?
Old 08-27-2014, 07:26 AM   #111
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rod
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
I am not sure if anyone did a dyno with just the UCON (w/ T-stat & cam gears). There might be, and Gadget himself would be the one to ask about that. As he has his own dyno. Most people start out with smaller mods before jumping into the more expensive/technical tuning devices.
I would so like to UCON my most stock truck, but without a harness for 09+, I just don't feel the payout to tap that many ECU wires.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:04 AM   #113
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You comment got me thinking......I wonder how many wires actually need to be spliced with the UCON? The Map-ECU3 only uses about 15....

But then, I don't know if some things would need to be plugged in to the open slots or not? If they didn't, it could save time. If they did, then it would be a whole lot of wiring.
If there were a documented and supported method, I might be willing to try, but for reference, took much psychological effort to get the Maf Cali and URD CAI installed.....
Old 08-27-2014, 09:49 AM   #114
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
These are my latest 2.7 dyno runs from the muffler shootout...

RED: Stock
BLUE: Magnaflow
GREEN: Flowmaster

One suprizing piece of new information is that a multi-chambered Flowmaster Series 50 Delta flow muffler outflowed a straight through 2.5" core Magnaflow muffler.

This puts to rest the myth that straight through is always better than chambered.

Flowmaster has incorporated some really clever precisely positioned accoustic tuning and anti reversion features that enhance the exhaust scavenging enough to outperform a straight through perforated core. This is totally counter-intuitive that exhaust gases taking complex indirect routes through chambers and around baffles could actually flow faster than freely flowing directly through a simple open tube.

And I found out something else. The Flowmaster Series 50 Delta Flow also lowered the torque peak by 100 rpms. While this is not much, it was done just with a muffler, and assumes more significance in combination with the other bolt on mods which have lowered the torque peak by 1,000 rpms from the stock 3,800 rpms down to just 2,800 rpms. This is a 27% improvement.

We've also been refining the dyno technique to get really good low end runs that begin recording as low as under 1,000 rpms by gently rolling on the throttle at idle in fourth gear instead of abruptively stabbing it at 1,500 rpms. My interest is only in low end torque so it doesn't matter that the speed limiter cuts off the tops of the runs.

Greg
Old 08-27-2014, 10:25 AM   #116
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
What product will do that? And if it does, will it yield more low end torque?

Greg
Old 08-27-2014, 12:18 PM   #118
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Any tuning device. Simplest being the MAF-Cal.
Have you rejetted, or checked the accelerator pump?

Old 08-27-2014, 02:02 PM   #120
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ZOMG! How'd I forget?!
JK, but there have to be times when you just wish you were carb'd...