Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Do you think it is bad to floor it every once in a while with high mileage?

Old 07-17-2012, 10:30 PM   #1
Logan22 is on a distinguished road
Name: Logan
Logan22's Tacoma Gallery
Do you think it is bad to floor it every once in a while with high mileage?

Just wondering what your opinion is about flooring my 06 Tacoma with 140,000 miles every so often. I'm not talking about anything close to like daily just literally some times. Do you think it could mess up anything engine wise very easily or do you think it's pretty safe?
Old 07-17-2012, 10:32 PM   #2
BaNgArAnG
06TACOFIREMAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TACOFIREMAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TACOFIREMAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TACOFIREMAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TACOFIREMAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TACOFIREMAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TACOFIREMAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TACOFIREMAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TACOFIREMAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TACOFIREMAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TACOFIREMAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Caleb
06TACOFIREMAN's Tacoma Gallery
you drive a toyota. treat it well it will treat you well. thats all i have to say on the matter.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:15 AM   #3
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Put a nice thick oil in it, and it will protect it better. Especially since you have high mileage. Anything between a 10w-40 to a 20w-50. Depending on climate.

Using a "High Mileage" style oil will also have a higher PPM of anti-wear additives than regular SAE approved engine oils. Full synthetic or not.

Unless of course you add your own ZDDP, from a bottle of "Engine Break-in Oil".

With your bearing tolerances at this point in engine life are wider than they used to be. So to better protect against the stresses of full throttle acceleration, is why you need a thicker oil than the oil cap recommendation.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:30 AM   #4
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
The only reason you would want to put a thicker oil in is if it was burning excessive amounts of oil. Otherwise, you are not helping anything. You will, however, decrease your mileage and increase cold startup wear. A quality, high-mileage oil will protect your engine and help heep yours gaskets/seals intact just fine.
Your truck was made to work. Work it!
Old 07-18-2012, 06:42 AM   #6
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with the loss of a little MPG, but completely disagree with increased wear. It will be the exact opposite.

Simple example. Engine starts getting rod knock. What do you do to keep it from getting worse, and or knocking at all? Add a thicker oil.

If you really want to get into why the thicker oil is safer, I simply say to look through the research of Southwest Research out of San Antonio, TX. http://www.swri.org/
Old 07-18-2012, 06:49 AM   #7
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Seeing as the VVTI is run off of oil pressure I would say don't run oil that isn't recommended by Toyota unless you want to get worse mileage and possible ruin things.

But there's nothing wrong with giving your truck an Italian tune up every now and then.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:54 AM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I live in CA ans sometimes you just have to mash it to get away from idiot drivers. My Ranger was doing just fine at full throttle with 140K miles.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:54 AM   #9
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
You should not be driving if the engine has a rod knock. It will grenade with any grade of oil. Get it fixed cheaper before it goes.
Please point me toward a specific article within swri. I may eventually find it by myself, but it does me no good right now.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:10 AM   #10
AYYYYYYYYYYYY
cgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cgs2k2's Tacoma Gallery
simplest answer: You'll be fine.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:26 AM   #11
03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Navy Veteran
Name: Zach
03is300ztk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
You should not be driving if the engine has a rod knock. It will grenade with any grade of oil. Get it fixed cheaper before it goes.
Please point me toward a specific article within swri. I may eventually find it by myself, but it does me no good right now.
Agreed I look through for a good 20 mins, and see nothing pointing towards thicker oil on high mileage engine is better.

In fact if you look anything up regarding oil viscosity it can be understood that you ALWAYS want to stick to manufacture specifications regarding the viscosity rating for there engines.

The viscosity rating is oil's resistance to flow at a specific temperature tested. So in fact a thicker oil is IS WORSE for a higher mileage vehicle because that oil is more RESISTANT to flowing ie not lubricating the parts that need it when its needed.

Lets put it this way, if you needed to change oil weights at a specific mileage it would be in the book, on the cap and well advertised.

Look at any high mileage oil in the stores, notice they carry most weights? Thats because its about whats in the oil thats important to high mileage engines not how thick the oil is.

Just one link to help understand viscosity and what it Really means.

http://www.upmpg.com/tech_articles/motoroil_viscosity/
Old 07-18-2012, 07:27 AM   #12
03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan22 View Post
Just wondering what your opinion is about flooring my 06 Tacoma with 140,000 miles every so often. I'm not talking about anything close to like daily just literally some times. Do you think it could mess up anything engine wise very easily or do you think it's pretty safe?
Just tell yourself what I do,

"ehh just gotta clear some carbon buildup!!!" lol
Old 07-18-2012, 07:49 AM   #13
Resident SUV racer
Lucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Lucario Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Ok heres the deal. Does engine oil (or any other fluid) get thicker or thinner with a rise in a increase in temperature? Gets thinner is the right answer. Does pressure increase or decrease with a rise in temp? It deceases. Thing is all manufactures have what is called acceptable loses they want you to buy a new car again, sooner rather than later, but would like to have a good rep towards component parts in terms of longevity. EPA also has rules regulating the amount of anti-wear content as it isn't friendly to the cats and other emission control bs. Take the 2nd generation of the 1grfe as an example. It is put on an SAE 20 grade as a factory fill, 1st gen uses 30, as with most new cars to gain more mpg by decreasing drag on the internals. However the oil is thinner, pressure is lower and the engine runs quite a bit hotter. Traditionally thicker oils do contain more ZDDP on a ppm level, however alot of the thinner oils are putting in more detergents and antiwear additives to compensate. When I ran a 10w40 weight my pressure was only increased by 3-4 pounds but my engine temp was down a good ten degrees fahrenheit. A question to ask ones self is what do racers and people that tow and haul alot run? They run thicker oils from a stock engine or a fully built one. Now environment is something to consider, but for the most part you'll be fine.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:15 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario Runner View Post
Ok heres the deal. Does engine oil (or any other fluid) get thicker or thinner with a rise in a increase in temperature? Gets thinner is the right answer. Does pressure increase or decrease with a rise in temp? It deceases. Thing is all manufactures have what is called acceptable loses they want you to buy a new car again, sooner rather than later, but would like to have a good rep towards component parts in terms of longevity. EPA also has rules regulating the amount of anti-wear content as it isn't friendly to the cats and other emission control bs. Take the 2nd generation of the 1grfe as an example. It is put on an SAE 20 grade as a factory fill, 1st gen uses 30, as with most new cars to gain more mpg by decreasing drag on the internals. However the oil is thinner, pressure is lower and the engine runs quite a bit hotter. Traditionally thicker oils do contain more ZDDP on a ppm level, however alot of the thinner oils are putting in more detergents and antiwear additives to compensate. When I ran a 10w40 weight my pressure was only increased by 3-4 pounds but my engine temp was down a good ten degrees fahrenheit. A question to ask ones self is what do racers and people that tow and haul alot run? They run thicker oils from a stock engine or a fully built one. Now environment is something to consider, but for the most part you'll be fine.
Agreed in part, mainly towards the racers. Think of NASCAR running the new G-oil Car. I have to ask do you know how much oil a nascar engine uses?

5 GALLONS!?!?!?!?!?!?! HUGE DIFFERENCE compared to our measly 5qts. Just saying that may be a factor in how they justify running what they do. I just dont think anyone compare, haulers/racers to DD Tacos. That is for oil use anyways.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:51 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario Runner View Post
Volume is different of course however the same principle applies, even more so under high load situations.
Yes agreed, I just think that helps alot when keeping the temperature down, and use bet driven pumps to keep up with the load.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:51 AM   #18
Night is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Night's Tacoma Gallery
There is a difference between flooring it and redLining no?
Old 07-19-2012, 07:48 AM   #19
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night View Post
There is a difference between flooring it and redLining no?
Flooring ot means full throttle and redlining means revving into redline.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:54 AM   #20
subwayaz is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Aircraft, Maint
subwayaz's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota's are pretty tough vehicles so I wouldn't think it would hurt it. But what is your point in doing so?